Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new car and the renegade ticks all the boxes including transporting a tandem bike (thanks to the front seat folding flatish) which I've talked about in another thread.
My only worry is the fact it's Fiat made and I've read a lot of issues being reported on American sites and several software update recalls on this forum. My current Seat Leon has never let me down over 100k of miles.
Am I going to regret buying a renegade? Is this like crossing the motorway blindfolded....you might be ok but it's highly likely trouble will strike?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Only had mine since January, and it's on 13k miles - never missed a beat, starts first time, every time... In fact, I think I'm going to call it Ronson :D

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm looking for a new car and the renegade ticks all the boxes including transporting a tandem bike (thanks to the front seat folding flatish) which I've talked about in another thread.
My only worry is the fact it's Fiat made and I've read a lot of issues being reported on American sites and several software update recalls on this forum. My current Seat Leon has never let me down over 100k of miles.
Am I going to regret buying a renegade? Is this like crossing the motorway blindfolded....you might be ok but it's highly likely trouble will strike?
The only reliability issues that I have heard of is with the automatic 8 speed transmission. And not all of them are having issues, only a few.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will probably wait and see what the Seat Alteca looks like in the flesh when they appear in the showrooms next month but that will be more expensive and looks very generic.

The renegade has really caught my imagination for its individual looks, performance and practicality.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
My experience vs my friend who bought a subaru forester about a month before me.

Renny visits for warranty work: 2
Renny unable to fix or reproduce incidents: 1
Days undrivable due to malfunction: 0.5
Days undrivable due to being in garage: 4

Forester visits for warranty work: 4
Forester unable to fix or reproduce incidents: 2
Days undrivable due to malfunction: 0
Days undrivable due to being in garage:10

That's about 13.5 months for me, and 14.75 months for my friend. About 10800/12000 respectively on miles. He has more long drives on his than me, commute is nearly identical. For both cars it's coming down to the dealers. He has to travel farther for a decent dealer, and I don't want to say they are less nice/CS oriented/worse at fixing things. Maybe it's that they are less likely to believe there is an issue with the vehicle and spend less effort diagnosing it. Either that or FCA just gives a better framework for running a service department.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Trailhawk bought new here in the UK has only 3000 miles on it, but it's been absolutely faultless. It feels very solid, even over rough terrain. I can't see why there should be a problem; the ZF 9-speed transmission works great and is the same as fitted to Land-Rover and Range-Rover models, the 2.0 MultiJet engine is well proven and mine has needed no oil top up. In short, everything works, works very well and the car is a joy to drive

Lol! Tell me the SEAT doesn't look boring in comparison!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
My Trailhawk bought new here in the UK has only 3000 miles on it, but it's been absolutely faultless. It feels very solid, even over rough terrain. I can't see why there should be a problem; the ZF 9-speed transmission works great and is the same as fitted to Land-Rover and Range-Rover models, the 2.0 MultiJet engine is well proven and mine has needed no oil top up. In short, everything works, works very well and the car is a joy to drive

Lol! Tell me the SEAT doesn't look boring in comparison!
Certainly can't call a Jeep Renegade boring. Yours is in the proper colour as well:D

·
Registered
199 Posts
18,200 miles on our Latitude 4x4 with nary a hiccup. Averaged 31 mpg on a 2500 mile round trip from IL to RI. This Friday we set out for another 2500+ mile venture to the Bighorn mountains. Last time we made this trip was in a 2009 Escape with a V6 so it will be interesting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a very handsome fellow Wolfy! I like the black wheels contrasting with the body colour. Only seen a couple on my travels in Cheshire since I first became aware of the renegade. Curiously the morning after I'd been reading some horror reviews and was feeling very confused a white renegade appeared in my rear view mirror. I deliberately stayed at 50mph to see if he would overtake and sure enough he swept past like a white stallion! It was like someone was giving me a sign lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.