Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer "test drives" are not much use in assessing a car before purchase, but renting one for several days has been helpful to us before. Any Renegades available for rent in the general Washington D.C. / Baltimore region? Or any other ideas about longer term test drive possibilities?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dealer "test drives" are not much use in assessing a car before purchase, but renting one for several days has been helpful to us before. Any Renegades available for rent in the general Washington D.C. / Baltimore region? Or any other ideas about longer term test drive possibilities?
Our dealership actually lets you hang onto the car for a few days to see if you really like it or not. How they are able to pull that off without stacking a lot of miles on vehicles, I'm not sure. It's a great way to let the product sell itself and really decide on if it is the car for you. You could try checking with some dealerships if you are seriously interested in one and I'm sure they can find a loaner for you for a few days.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Our dealership actually lets you hang onto the car for a few days to see if you really like it or not. How they are able to pull that off without stacking a lot of miles on vehicles, I'm not sure. It's a great way to let the product sell itself and really decide on if it is the car for you. You could try checking with some dealerships if you are seriously interested in one and I'm sure they can find a loaner for you for a few days.
People willing to take a vehicle over a few days tend to be much closer to purchasing than someone who just wants to feel it out for it a few minutes. Its a way of getting you to make a mental and emotional commitment to the car before throwing finances into the mix. It would hypothetically help them out with the latter too.

·
Super Moderator
3,660 Posts
People willing to take a vehicle over a few days tend to be much closer to purchasing than someone who just wants to feel it out for it a few minutes. Its a way of getting you to make a mental and emotional commitment to the car before throwing finances into the mix. It would hypothetically help them out with the latter too.
There's also business ways to support it. They don't have to title it (i.e. it is still a new car) until something like 4000 miles. As long as they don't let any one car build up past about 250-300 miles, they can always just tell you it was a dealer transfer, or actually swap with a nearby dealer for a vehicle in a similar situation and put an extra 25 miles on it to be able to tell that story.

If that plan doesn't work, they can likely move it into the loaner car pool and realize some accounting benefits and possibly corporate incentives for loaner fleet vehicles by moving it into that column.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It makes good business sense for a dealer to have a car available for extended test drives. Typically these cars are assigned to the sales team and if they have a customer that needs it over a weekend it is not an issue. Of course this is only an option at the larger dealers.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I know one of the major rent-a-car companies (Budget?) uses a lot of Chrysler vehicles, but I don't see the Renegade being a big fleet vehicle.

In my case, a round trip from NC to FL in a Chevy Trax rented from Hertz helped to convince me that A) I did want a CUV and B) I did NOT want a Chevy Trax.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, a black Rengade with a young family in it on vacation, pulled up right next to me at a pump here in Plymouth, MA and when I asked him how he liked his Renegade, he told me it was a rental. I said "a rental??" and he said "yup, a rental." I forget which company he got it from, but it was a major car rental company. He said he really liked driving it, and his wife liked it, and it only had 10 miles on it when he picked it up.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Cool thread. I was actually thinking this the other day. A test drive over a few minutes is next to impossible with the dealers near me so I started to look at a few Rental companies websites, but as usual they are not specific to what they have on the lots.
I wouldn't mind renting one for a few days myself to see if my infatuation with the Renegade grows or lessens. So far I am set (95%) sure the Renegade will be my next vehicle, but as someone mentioned in another post, a test drive would be the final test in determining if i would like the feel and drive of one.

TS

·
Registered
246 Posts
I thought this last week! I had to take a trip from NC to SC this weekend and I was hoping to rent a Renegade for it but no rental agency in the Raleigh area had one (that I could find anyway). :( I was SO disappointed. However, the car I was given by the rental agency is a Chrysler 200 (not a bad car) which happens to have the same steering, console, stereo, gauges, buttons, and etc that the Renegade has! So I at least got to further get used to the controls. :)

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Some manufacturers, albeit not many, have let prospective customers take the car for an extended test drive over 24 or 48 hours in the past. I know Jeep wasn't one of them in the UK. I can't remember who the actual manufacturers were, but I don't think it was recently.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Co-worker rented one in Key West FL just a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I actually did get to take my Renegade home for a couple days before I bought it. I went in to the dealership on a Saturday afternoon. The salesman wanted to have a chance to have my trade-in inspected and get some bids on it, so he had me take the Renegade until after work on Monday.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Europe (depends on location)
EuropaCar (Select Intermediaire in the Cars Category), as does

Spain
Tipoa
RentalCars24h

USA
In Las Vegas withRelayRides
In NY (East Hampton, LI) with Click Car (uses either Hertz or Enterprise).

If I find more, I'll Post them.

TS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.