Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Renegade (Renee:x): 1.4L, 6-speed manual, Latitude
Extra Features: Automatic MySky, Rearview backup camera

Why manual transmission? I enjoy driving manual transmission. It allows more control in the mountains of Colorado. I absolutely hate transmissions that can't decide what gear you should be in when climbing a steep grade. Ok, the problems with the 9-speed automatic transmission also deterred me. I think if I was forced to get an automatic transmission car I would have gone with a Mazda CX-5 AWD. :eek:

The Good: I love this little Jeep! I was previously driving a 2003 Wrangler 2-door TJ, lifted, lockers, 5-speed manual... It was too much Jeep for a daily driver. I haven't been offroading like I used to and I was sick of the rough ride on the highway and poor gas mileage.
The Renegade solved both those problems and then some. Ok, so I've only been getting between 23-27 mpg so far, but I think that's so low because I sit in traffic. A lot. Even when my mpg went up to 27, I was driving mostly to/from the mountains and spent some time in traffic so I haven't hit that magical 30mpg yet, but I think I will next time I take a long road trip.

Around town Renee is great. The suspension glides over potholes and manhole covers with no complaints from the girlfriend. I've even had a chance test out the 4wd in the two snow storms we've gotten. When others were slipping and sliding or having trouble making it up a hill, I've driven right on by with confidence to spare.

The Bad: Ok, my biggest complaint so far is the automatic parking brake. The automatic parking brake control requires that the brake petal be depressed in order for the parking brake to be released. The problem is that I press the brake petal and then attempt to release the parking brake, but it does not release because I have not applied enough pressure on the brake petal. This is frustrating because there is no feedback to tell the driver whether or not lifting the automatic parking brake lever was successful. As a result, it has caused me to stall the vehicle on multiple occasions when I think I have released the parking brake, but in reality Renee just laughs and releases a slight odor of burning something. Ok, I'll do it again, but more slowly and deliberate. Thanks Obama.
Ok, ok... I understand that this was likely intended as a safety feature, but as someone who's driven manual transmission for a long time, it more dangerous to have an operation like removing the parking brake fail due to an overzealous brake pressure sensor than it is to remove the parking brake without the brake petal fully depressed. When I'm ready to drive, the car is in gear, the clutch is in and I want to go. Now!

The gearing on the 1.4L is a little high for the amount of power it has, especially since you don't reach the start of the turbo's power band until around 2k-2.5k rpm. Slightly lower gearing would make it feel peppier.

Ok Jeep, where is my spare tire? The fix-a-flat is a joke. I'm not truly off road capable without a redundant wheel. Slimer doesn't count. Someone call the ghostbusters.

Just two other minor complaints. The trim on the driver door isn't tight. I feel slight movement every time I close the door from the outside. Sliding the front seats forward and backward is a bit rough. Seriously, it's harder to move these seats than the seats in my old Wrangler.

Overall this little Jeep is great! I enjoy driving her around town and she definitely handles great in the snow. I even forget how terrible the potholes are on my street until I get into another car. All the sheep driving Subarus turn their heads when I drive by.
:ReneBlueWave:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The automatic parking brake should release when you drive off. No need to touch the button or any pedals. Just drive away. If it is not doing that take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Agree about the spare tire. That was a mandatory item when we cut the deal and it was installed 48 hours later. Sure, all that under-the-cover storage space is gone, but peace of mind beats some hidden storage every day for me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If I hadn't had to have shoulder surgery (right shoulder) and wasn't sort of desperate at the time (Saturn decided two weeks before surgery to have oil in the coolant) I would have gone with the six speed.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The automatic parking brake should release when you drive off. No need to touch the button or any pedals. Just drive away. If it is not doing that take it to a dealer.
Maybe the US version has an extra nanny to keep us safe? I really dislike the idea of an electronic parking brake. What could be easier than a mechanical handbrake when hill starting? How does an electronic parking brake let me do a power slide? No way, I suppose. Also, if you lose power, you have no e-brake, I suppose. I really wish all cars had a typical, fully mechanical handbrake. >:D

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Maybe the US version has an extra nanny to keep us safe? I really dislike the idea of an electronic parking brake. What could be easier than a mechanical handbrake when hill starting? How does an electronic parking brake let me do a power slide? No way, I suppose. Also, if you lose power, you have no e-brake, I suppose. I really wish all cars had a typical, fully mechanical handbrake. >:D
I believe the US version is the same. You can still apply the "hand brake" while moving. the manual tells you how. The electronic parking brake is great. I am an old fuddy duddy and was not looking forward to it, but I love it now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wranlger03, I got same Renegade. ( alpine White, 1.4L, 6speed, 4x4, mysky and backup camera.)

I agree with each of your points.

They E- Brake is the hardest to get use too with the manual.
Engage Clutch, Engage Brake, pull e-Brake.... I mean Push e-Brake.... wait no Pull, **** Push.,.... Damit lets go already.

I like to add one item.
KEY to start. ( not key-less fob model)
The frustration with the Key to start. If you kill it with the clutch you have to key all the way off, then Key all the way to start again. Why is that? No simple Key bump to start again. They need to re-engineer that IMOP. Every other manual I've owned a simple key bump to engage starter again was possible.

Yea I wish I had negotiated a full size spare with purchase. Did not realize no spare untill after the deal. Spare kit are avlaible for ~ $300.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did you know that you can operate electric parking brake like manual lever at speed?
Stationary, EPB would set once switch is pulled almost instantly.
Then I had to experiment and at slower speeds I momentarily pulled on switch with a pleasant tug from the back as if manual parking brake lever was pulled up. Then I tried to lift and hold EPB switch for a bit longer, and it grabbed PB more allowing me to do a slight drift.
I am sure if mastered EPB could be used as full fledged manual parking brake.
P.S
As you bring clutch pedal to about mid way, EPB will disengage and you'd be able to drive off. Of course if your seat belt is buckled.

Disclaimer: This is my own experiment. I don't endorse anyone to perform this and if you do and failure/accident occurs, it is your full responsibility.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Renegade (Renee:x): 1.4L, 6-speed manual, Latitude
Extra Features: Automatic MySky, Rearview backup camera

Why manual transmission? I enjoy driving manual transmission. It allows more control in the mountains of Colorado. I absolutely hate transmissions that can't decide what gear you should be in when climbing a steep grade. Ok, the problems with the 9-speed automatic transmission also deterred me. I think if I was forced to get an automatic transmission car I would have gone with a Mazda CX-5 AWD. :eek:

The Good: I love this little Jeep! I was previously driving a 2003 Wrangler 2-door TJ, lifted, lockers, 5-speed manual... It was too much Jeep for a daily driver. I haven't been offroading like I used to and I was sick of the rough ride on the highway and poor gas mileage.
The Renegade solved both those problems and then some. Ok, so I've only been getting between 23-27 mpg so far, but I think that's so low because I sit in traffic. A lot. Even when my mpg went up to 27, I was driving mostly to/from the mountains and spent some time in traffic so I haven't hit that magical 30mpg yet, but I think I will next time I take a long road trip.

Around town Renee is great. The suspension glides over potholes and manhole covers with no complaints from the girlfriend. I've even had a chance test out the 4wd in the two snow storms we've gotten. When others were slipping and sliding or having trouble making it up a hill, I've driven right on by with confidence to spare.

The Bad: Ok, my biggest complaint so far is the automatic parking brake. The automatic parking brake control requires that the brake petal be depressed in order for the parking brake to be released. The problem is that I press the brake petal and then attempt to release the parking brake, but it does not release because I have not applied enough pressure on the brake petal. This is frustrating because there is no feedback to tell the driver whether or not lifting the automatic parking brake lever was successful. As a result, it has caused me to stall the vehicle on multiple occasions when I think I have released the parking brake, but in reality Renee just laughs and releases a slight odor of burning something. Ok, I'll do it again, but more slowly and deliberate. Thanks Obama.
Ok, ok... I understand that this was likely intended as a safety feature, but as someone who's driven manual transmission for a long time, it more dangerous to have an operation like removing the parking brake fail due to an overzealous brake pressure sensor than it is to remove the parking brake without the brake petal fully depressed. When I'm ready to drive, the car is in gear, the clutch is in and I want to go. Now!

The gearing on the 1.4L is a little high for the amount of power it has, especially since you don't reach the start of the turbo's power band until around 2k-2.5k rpm. Slightly lower gearing would make it feel peppier.

Ok Jeep, where is my spare tire? The fix-a-flat is a joke. I'm not truly off road capable without a redundant wheel. Slimer doesn't count. Someone call the ghostbusters.

Just two other minor complaints. The trim on the driver door isn't tight. I feel slight movement every time I close the door from the outside. Sliding the front seats forward and backward is a bit rough. Seriously, it's harder to move these seats than the seats in my old Wrangler.

Overall this little Jeep is great! I enjoy driving her around town and she definitely handles great in the snow. I even forget how terrible the potholes are on my street until I get into another car. All the sheep driving Subarus turn their heads when I drive by.
:ReneBlueWave:
Same exact Jeep minus the MySky :'(

·
Registered
214 Posts
I also have this model.... I have to admit, the electronic parking brake is one of my favorite improvements. I never have to remember to apply the brake when I park, and mine disengages automatically when I drive off. I love it.

Totally agree regarding the spare tire. Posted my solution in another thread:
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo.../45850-true-full-sized-spare-replacement.html

At least I knew about the lack of spare going in. Still, seems ridiculous to rely on a can of fix-a-flat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.