Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people claim the 2002-2007 Jeep Liberty black roof rails were for show only. The only trusted ones were the chrome versions in the Trail Rated Limited editions.

Are there going to be Renegades that have roof rails that are not functional?

Not trying to kick up dust here, just coming up with the questions that need asking before signing. I'd hate discovering things after the ink's dry.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I wouldn't doubt that this would happen, chances are it will with some models. For now I don't think there's any official way of finding out, might have to wait a bit to find this out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My 2004 cherokee (liberty in USA) had the black roof rails and I had bars permanently attached for canoe and bikes. When it was rolled in a smash the bars were ripped off but the rails remained on the car so I can vouch for their robustness. My 2007 cherokee has the chrome and I feel no difference. After the smash the car ended up on its side and my wife and kids were pulled out the doors relatively injury free and when the car was righted all doors opened and closed without fault. Here's hoping the renegade is as tough.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
My 2004 cherokee (liberty in USA) had the black roof rails and I had bars permanently attached for canoe and bikes. When it was rolled in a smash the bars were ripped off but the rails remained on the car so I can vouch for their robustness. My 2007 cherokee has the chrome and I feel no difference. After the smash the car ended up on its side and my wife and kids were pulled out the doors relatively injury free and when the car was righted all doors opened and closed without fault. Here's hoping the renegade is as tough.
wow, that indeed is the ultimate test, hopefully no one was seriously injured.
How did you manage to roll over?

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I would hope that they would not put bars on an SUV that were just for show. I wouldn't put it past them though. I would expect more from Jeep. They actually take a lot of pride in the fact that their vehicles (for the most part) are designed for adventure. Adventure that requires extra gear. I would be seriously upset if the roof rails on a vehicle I purchased were for show.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My car was rear ended at a junction at speed by a saloon car driver on a mobile phone. The driver braked hard and nosed under our rear, lifting it and starting the roll. The fuel tank ruptured and there wasn't a straight panel left on the car after it stopped but when it was righted every door opened without fault. They built these jeeps massively strong and though they are low on fit and finish, economy and tech, the strength of these cars can never be measured on sales alone. Interestingly the police said that it was probably better for the occupants of both cars that there was a mismatch in centre of gravity.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an 03 Liberty and if those rails were just for show, it was to show off how well they ( and the Yakima bars ) could hold my two sea kayaks! As another poster said, Jeep knows their vehicles are built for adventure. That's why I'm so anxious to see the Renegade!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any thoughts on what crossbars would work nicely with the Renegade?

I'm reading that the ones sold by dealers are flimsy. Yakima has a suggested set of round 48" bars to fit the Renegade, while Thule suggested a square 58" set.

I want to securely carry two bicycles with the wheels on (sometimes) and cargo other times. I'm also hoping for aesthetic appeal and want to avoid drag/noise.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Some people claim the 2002-2007 Jeep Liberty black roof rails were for show only. The only trusted ones were the chrome versions in the Trail Rated Limited editions.

Are there going to be Renegades that have roof rails that are not functional?

Not trying to kick up dust here, just coming up with the questions that need asking before signing. I'd hate discovering things after the ink's dry.
I put the OEM crossbars on the black roof rails that came stock on my '03 Liberty. I brought a canoe back from Maine, and also carried a small sailboat hull on them. No issues - they have been fine. Of course I always use ratcheting tie downs:)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone. Seems internet information can be just that. Am glad us Liberty people can trust our rails (more than our fuel tanks?).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does anyone know of any companies that make aftermarket roof rails - that will most likely make roof rails/racks for the Renegade?

Cheers
Im in the market for some rails too actually. It seems there are quite a few options out there fom Yakima, Thule and Rhino. Yakima seems to be the cheapest option right now, made from steel they are just two round bars that mount and go across.They do look a tad bit cheap. Thule on the otherhand have some really nice looking rails made from aluminum light compared to the rest but there is a price to pay ($399) compared to Yakima ($284)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Directly from the owners manual;

ROOF LUGGAGE RACK — IF EQUIPPED
Your vehicle may be equipped with a Roof Luggage Rack
for transporting accessories.
Crossbars should always be used whenever cargo is
placed on the Roof Luggage Rack. Check the straps
frequently to be sure that the load remains securely
attached.
NOTE: Crossbars can be purchased at a authorized
dealer through Mopar® parts. External racks do not
increase the total load carrying capacity of the vehicle. Be
sure that the total occupant and luggage load inside the
vehicle, plus the load on the Roof Luggage Rack, do not
exceed the maximum vehicle load capacity.
The load carried on the roof, when equipped with a
luggage rack, must not exceed 150 lbs (68 kg), and it
should be uniformly distributed over the cargo area.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Anyone know if I can purchase roof rails for the renegade? Or what brand the stock ones are?
Welcome to all the new forum members. PLEASE LEARN WHAT THE SEARCH BOX IS FOR.

Just yesterday we had yet another thread on this very subject with brands, part numbers and prices.

PLEASE use the SEARCH BOX, it is the magnifying glass symbol in the upper right of the website.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just ordered the Thule Aeroblade directly from the dealer... it's being sold as a Mopar Accessory. The dealer I went through was able to get them for less than advertised anywhere online so I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Just a heads up for anyone else looking, I prefer Thule crossbars/racks/mounts simply because they are much EASIER to set up and switch carriers on and off. I had Thule load bars and bike carrier on my Volvo and they very minimally affected my fuel economy due to their smoother design vs a previous Yakima set up I'd had. Wind noise was also kept down significantly. You get what you pay for I suppose...

Also decided to go with the Thule bars because I can use my old Volvo bike carrier as a keepsake. :)

1 - 20 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.