Jeep Renegade Forum banner
121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
So looking at all the rails you guys have mentioned brings up a whole new point... has anyone looked into cargo baskets that mount without cross rails?

I have been looking at two, Smittybilt Defender and the Kargo Master Safari. Both are great quality and come in the sizes I'm looking for, but still working with each company as far as mounting options.

I am far more willing to buy a cargo basket that I don't need to spend an additional few hundred on cross rails as well... but who knows, maybe I'll end u having to do that anyways!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I really like the look of the streamlined rails. Was it a pair, or did you have to purchase two? I can't seem to tell from any of the sellers' descriptions.
Sorry Chris for not answering sooner.

Bought the pair for $150 from a recycler off of car-parts.com. I'm sure he'd included the track strip had I remembered to ask.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
So looking at all the rails you guys have mentioned brings up a whole new point... has anyone looked into cargo baskets that mount without cross rails?
The roof sheet metal is sooooooooo thin, I'd never rest a basket on the roof directly. But if the basket could attach to the railbrackets...that'd be nice too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys. Read through this thread and it looks like only a few people have thule aeroblade edges. I installed mine and have moved the front one multiple times. It whistles ridiculously loud starting at about 30 mph. So I switched front to back, same thing. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well perhaps I am the only one with this problem. Discovered it is my MySky panels (after buying $600 worth of different crossbars) The bars, regardless of placement or type seem to disrupt the air that flows over the edges of my non-power MySky causing excessive noise and whistling. Bummer.

Hey guys. Read through this thread and it looks like only a few people have thule aeroblade edges. I installed mine and have moved the front one multiple times. It whistles ridiculously loud starting at about 30 mph. So I switched front to back, same thing. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks JFS! Roof Rails Acquired

Sorry Chris for not answering sooner.

Bought the pair for $150 from a recycler off of car-parts.com. I'm sure he'd included the track strip had I remembered to ask.
JFS:

I followed your advice and found a pair on www.car-parts.com as well. They are now on order and will be delivered to my door for $175 for the pair (black). The only problem is that they have missing screw caps but I can purchase them (8) from the dealer for $7 each. I have to say that getting parts for this Fiat/Jeep is much, much harder than it is for my '08 Commander.

Thanks for the info!

TxShelterman

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
JFS:

I followed your advice and found a pair on www.car-parts.com as well. They are now on order and will be delivered to my door for $175 for the pair (black). TxShelterman
He shoots and he scores! (Go Cavs!) Glad to help. There'll be lots more parts to come I'm sure. One of my faves is Pullapart.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Roof Rails Installed -No Drilling At All

I received my factory roof rails today from car-parts.com. Very easy to install with zero drilling. Don't listen to dealerships that have no clue what they are talking about. Mine said that they could not install factory roof rails due to the danger of drilling into the side curtain airbags. That was complete nonsense.

The rails come with allen wrench type bolts that thread directly into the existing holes beneath the plastic gutter trim on the roof.

If you install your own, be careful removing your plastic trim as you will need it to fill in beneath the rails. It is held on with a combination of plastic clips and adhesive. I used a pencil and gently marked where the rail fit in and where the trim would need to be cut to fit. Being plastic, my sawsall made clean cuts and short work of cutting the trim pieces. I cheated and used a little Gorilla Super Glue on the smaller end trim pieces that were only held on with adhesive. I did not want to run the risk of losing one in a carwash.

Total cost of my project was $238 including $63 (dealer price) for the 8 little plastic tabs that cover the allen wrench bolt heads. My rails only had 5 of them on arrival.

A special "Thank you!" to JFS for the awesome advice on this forum! Now that I have the factory roof rails installed I love my litte Renegade even more.

Now...time to start shopping for my crossbars. :ReneBlueWave:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Go to your purchasing dealer and ask if they can help you on the cost of purchasing Thule Crossbars and Footpads and 4 locks. Part # TRAB4553, this is a Mopar part number that your dealer has in the Mopar system designed for your Renegade!. The average cost is about 265.00. My dealer said he would split the cost. Bam!, $140.00 for a nice set of Thule Aero Cross bars and Footpads with locks. Does not hurt to ask....

·
Registered
2 Posts
rails

JFS:

I followed your advice and found a pair on ___ as well. They are now on order and will be delivered to my door for $175 for the pair (black). The only problem is that they have missing screw caps but I can purchase them (8) from the dealer for $7 each. I have to say that getting parts for this Fiat/Jeep is much, much harder than it is for my '08 Commander.

Thanks for the info!

TxShelterman
Do you by chance know the part # for the rails?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Roof rack

Ok, I got a good deal on a Renegade but it did not have the roof rails on this model. I'd like to put them on but don't care for the dealer's $700.00 price tag for them. Anyony have any ideas that would not look like something a 6 year old manufactured. Thanks in advance and may God bless.
0:)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I got a set on car-parts.com (including hardware). The mounting brackets are already built into the roof (under the plastic strips), so it's just a quick bolt on process. If they can get you the plastic strips with them, it'll save you from having to cut the ones you are already have installed.

There's a good writeup in the form on the install process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Roof Rails

Hey guys first time poster. I just bought a new 2016 sport. It has nothing on the roof, No rails. Do they even make these so I can install them? know they make the wide inserts but I cant seem to find the long rails

thanks
:ReneBlueWave:

121 - 140 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.