Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all!

This is my first post here or rather any forum regarding my Jeep!

Jeep Renegade
6 Speed
Latitude 1.4L 4WD

I will make this simple. One day I was backing out of my driveway and heard a really loud screeching noise. I was like "what was that?!" then I continued to back up and heard it again. I look at my Jeep and all was fine, then I continued to back out and never heard it again.

Fast forward a month later I left my work parking lot and when I was in gear by slowing down my Jeep started to shake as if I was about to stall out. I didnt think anything of it until I approached home and then as I was in third and had no foot on the clutch or gas it acted as if I was about to stall again (shaking pretty crazy). The only way to stop it was put it in neutral. This has never happened before. Even if I was about to stall my Jeep never, ever shakes the way it did.

TLDR: Had a LOUD screeching noise when backing out. Month later Jeep acts like its going to stall for no reason and shakes pretty badly until I put it in neutral.

Thank you all!

·
Super Moderator
4,680 Posts
This is new members intro section. Post your question in the tech section for all the answers you need. But for now:
and enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
302 Posts
My guess is the two incidents are unrelated. You didn't say where you live but I recently experienced a one-time screech event backing out of my garage. It sounded like brakes and of note is the fact that prior to parking in the garage I had been driving on a wet road followed by temps dropping to near freezing.

I've not experienced your second issue in my Renegade but I had something similar happen in another vehicle when I got a bad fill-up of gas and some water and crud was affecting the injectors.

Good luck!

·
Registered
261 Posts
This is how the manual transmission works. If you have the third gear in, and your speed is very low, the engine will start to shake. You have to either lower the gear (to either 1st or 2nd) according to the speed you have, or press the clutch. Otherwise the engine will turn off.

You cannot expect the engine to work normally when your speed is like 2 miles per hour and you have third gear in, without your foot on the clutch.

You have to always adjust your gear to the speed of the vehicle. Otherwise, if you keep the same high gear in when you slow down, you should press the clutch.

This is standard M/T logic (unless I am missing something from your post).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is how the manual transmission works. If you have the third gear in, and your speed is very low, the engine will start to shake. You have to either lower the gear (to either 1st or 2nd) according to the speed you have, or press the clutch. Otherwise the engine will turn off.

You cannot expect the engine to work normally when your speed is like 2 miles per hour and you have third gear in, without your foot on the clutch.

You have to always adjust your gear to the speed of the vehicle. Otherwise, if you keep the same high gear in when you slow down, you should press the clutch.

This is standard M/T logic (unless I am missing something from your post).
I appreciate the reply, but I have been driving manual my whole life and I can tell the difference between low gear driving and a random shake. I was in proper gear, then it just shook as if I was going to stall for a second, but didn't. It has not happened since but if it ever does I will contact the dealer. I was just looking to see if anyone had any similar issues. Thank you!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My guess is the two incidents are unrelated. You didn't say where you live but I recently experienced a one-time screech event backing out of my garage. It sounded like brakes and of note is the fact that prior to parking in the garage I had been driving on a wet road followed by temps dropping to near freezing.

I've not experienced your second issue in my Renegade but I had something similar happen in another vehicle when I got a bad fill-up of gas and some water and crud was affecting the injectors.

Good luck!
Thank you! It has no happened since, but I sure hope it isn't what anything major. At first I thought it was a rock that got caught into the breakpad or something but it was not. I live in Westchester NY, btw. Could this be because I filled up on regular gas then switched to special/premium?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Switching fuel type should not cause this. Unless you got kangaroo gas.

The check engine light did not come on? Can you scan for DTCs?

Has your average gas mileage dropped lately?

If you were't lugging the engine in too-low a gear to the point where the engine would stumble, and you say you didn't, something must have messed with one of three things an ICE needs to run: air, spark, fuel.

Improper F/A mix may cause a stumble. The mix is computer-controlled, so a glitch in either the computer or one of the components that give input to the computer can be presumed. Things that affect F/A mix:

-intake air temperature via IAT sensor
-air density via MAP sensor
-coolant temperature via CTS

Another possibility would be a problem with the ignition. Maybe a coil or wire is intermittently acting up. I had once a coil wire rubbing through and shorting out against the engine block. Caused a coil to short out and actually crack its casing.

Defective knock sensor.

Another option is fuel delivery: fuel pump, fuel injector.

I suggest you check all the involved components as good as you can. Most sensors have specs you measure with a multimeter. With a little luck you will find something, and if not, you can ay least eliminate some possibilities and narrow down your search.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Switching fuel type should not cause this. Unless you got kangaroo gas.

The check engine light did not come on? Can you scan for DTCs?

Has your average gas mileage dropped lately?

If you were't lugging the engine in too-low a gear to the point where the engine would stumble, and you say you didn't, something must have messed with one of three things an ICE needs to run: air, spark, fuel.

Improper F/A mix may cause a stumble. The mix is computer-controlled, so a glitch in either the computer or one of the components that give input to the computer can be presumed. Things that affect F/A mix:

-intake air temperature via IAT sensor
-air density via MAP sensor
-coolant temperature via CTS

Another possibility would be a problem with the ignition. Maybe a coil or wire is intermittently acting up. I had once a coil wire rubbing through and shorting out against the engine block. Caused a coil to short out and actually crack its casing.

Defective knock sensor.

Another option is fuel delivery: fuel pump, fuel injector.

I suggest you check all the involved components as good as you can. Most sensors have specs you measure with a multimeter. With a little luck you will find something, and if not, you can ay least eliminate some possibilities and narrow down your search.
Thank you for this! Last time my car shook like this it is in my Acura and it ended up being the fuel injector. Hopefully that it not the case here!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I appreciate the reply, but I have been driving manual my whole life and I can tell the difference between low gear driving and a random shake. I was in proper gear, then it just shook as if I was going to stall for a second, but didn't. It has not happened since but if it ever does I will contact the dealer. I was just looking to see if anyone had any similar issues. Thank you!
Sounds like you found some misfire. If it happens again note the conditions (engine speed, coolant temp, outside temperature, what gear you're in, whether you're pushing the gas pedal or not, etc.) and let your dealer know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.