Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a sport without roof rails, and wanted them.

Parts:

5VX99LS1AA Right rail
5VY03LS1AA Left Rail
06511611AA screws u need 8
5VY00TZZAA caps for screws u need 8
double sided auto tape
blue painters tape
dremel
various common tools

I found my rails at a salvage yard. $200 for the rails, screws and caps.

You will have to cut the current black strips on your roof. I did take the strips from the salvaged vehicle with rails, but because of slight differences they will not work. The sport is missing a fitting at the very rear that is glued in some way to the body. I couldn't remove it from the salvaged vehicle. It does not seem to be load bearing, it appears to just make sure the very end is flush. The other mounting points are all hidden under the black strips.

First thing you need to do is measure on the strips for where you need to cut with the dremel to allow the rails access to the mounting points. I will provide my cheat sheet of measurements, but make sure you double check your own parts before cutting.

Measuring can be done by marking the areas to be cut with painters tape.

The cuts should look something like this. Don't worry if they are a little rough it will all be covered by the rails.

remove the double sided tape residue and apply new tape.

make sure you leave the plastic clips shown in the locations pictured.

Snap the modified strips into the plastic retainers and press onto the double-sided tape. Do not remove the strips completely. Leave the front attached.

Fit the rail up, you may have to enlarge some of the holes. When it fits flush tighten the 4 screws on each rail down and press on the plastic caps.

Your Done! Now you have a renegade sport with roof rails for a thousand bucks cheaper than new oem.

· Registered
1 Posts
@mpdc2056 Just curious about the plastic covering that you had to take off before putting on the rail, how easily did they come off? I was confused by the part saying that there is a fitting that is glued, is that part of the plastic covering?

The reason I ask is that I am thinking of purchasing some rails made for the Sport model on ebay and not sure of it is an easy install (do I just remove the plastic covering and screw in the railing) or if I have to cut the plastic covering like you did?

They said it is easy install but I didn't know if the plastic coverings that are on the top come off easy and how you pry them off?

Thanks.

· Registered
3 Posts
@mpdc2056 Just curious about the plastic covering that you had to take off before putting on the rail, how easily did they come off? I was confused by the part saying that there is a fitting that is glued, is that part of the plastic covering?

The reason I ask is that I am thinking of purchasing some rails made for the Sport model on ebay and not sure of it is an easy install (do I just remove the plastic covering and screw in the railing) or if I have to cut the plastic covering like you did?

They said it is easy install but I didn't know if the plastic coverings that are on the top come off easy and how you pry them off?

Thanks.
@ShawnsJeepRenegadeSport I bought the Roof rails from ebay you are referencing. The install is super simple. I bought a set of the plastic trim removal tools for like 5 bucks on ebay. Use those and just slowly work from the back of the trim to the front. It will come of really easy. the instruction included with the rails tells you where to measure and cut the trim pieces (I recommend using either a dremel tool or a sharp utility knife). Lastly make sure you purchase some double sided foam tape to stick the trim back in place.

· Registered
2 Posts
Simple rail install

I'm in the middle of doing this with salvaged rails. It occurred to me that the plastic molding does not even need to be removed. I started by taking a couple of measurements on a Rene that already has a rail. Next I cut a hole for the 1st bolt in the rear without removing the trim using my measurement and the rail itself. This got me in the ballpark - there is plenty of slack here to make a mistake. So having located the 1st bolt I worked my way down the line. I also cut paper templates directly from the rails - no measurements needed - and used those as an aid as well. The templates are much easier handle than the actual rail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.