Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was also tossing this around, to me it came down to character. I just felt the Rene had more personality, and loved the easter eggs and styling. Plus the dealer didn't have any stick Patriots.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello, depends on what you want to do. The Trail hawk Ren is more capable off road and has a higher towing rating and for me a smoother ride. A Trail Hawk Ren is what I got and love it. Now if you want a stick shift you cant get the Trail Hawk only 2.4 9spd auto which for me is great.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was originally looking at getting a Patriot but had a family friend that works for FCA strongly recommend the Renegade. After test driving the Renegade once I was sold. It has a great ride quality and very comfortable interior. I am told that the Patriot is inferior in many ways to the Renegade so I didn't see a reason to even test drive it. I placed an order for a 4x4 Latitude and am currently awaiting delivery.

·
Registered
199 Posts
We drove the Patriot twice wanting to like it, but it is pretty uninspiring. Could have used a green sheet and all the rebates for one heck of a deal, but just couldn't do it. A lot of roof leaks, wimpy acceleration and cheesy interior make it feel like a budget-mobile compared to the Renegade.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think the difference between the two is night and day, but you need to test drive both with the options you want to really get a feel. Have you also looked at the Cherokee?

FCA is getting rid of both the Patriot and Compass for a new CUV in 2016 that will be a little bigger than the Renegade. If you have time on your hands, maybe wait for that. Otherwise, do like I said above. The Renegade is a fresh platform and do yourself a favor and drive a 4x4 model, even if you don't want it.

I have heard of some dealers slashing the crap out of Patriot prices, but personally, I'd spend the extra money on a Renegade if I really wanted to buy right now. I obviously did... :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
HELP! Having trouble deciding between the two :/
I was in the same conflict until the test drive. The Renegade driving experience is definitely superior; besides, the patriot interior is outdated, this model has not been changed for years now, it doesn't even has auto head lights. I wouldn't recommend this car at this time. There are rumors that they will be changing the Patriot model for next year, they are probably updating it. On the other hand, with the renegade you get value for your money, it has a unique look, fuel efficient, great interior and driving experience.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just traded out of a Patriot. I will never own another one.

Meanwhile, I couldn't be happier with my Renegade TH. MUCH more personality than the Patriot, much more capable vehicle on trails, and better gas mileage to boot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Patriot v Renegade?

Having help deciding between the two. I'm looking at two specific versions. 2015 Parriot latitude with sunroof, leather seats, power seats, DVD Player, etc. Or the silver Renegade with black cloth interior and 17" wheels. The renegade drives SO much nicer than the patriot, but I'm worried the renegade resembles more of a Kia (being a college kid, it's a lot about what you drive) where as the patriot has more of that jeep feel. Please help sway my opinion one way or the other!

·
Registered
119 Posts
There's another thread about this. The general consensus was to go with the Renegade. I own both. It depends on what you want. The Renegade is awesome. But I love our Patriot too. It was also 1/2 the cost. The Renegade wins most categories in my book, but the Patriot wins 1) price 2) interior volume. The interior space diffence is greater than their exteriors would have you think. It is significant. As to the Renegade being a Kia clone, I've read that. A lot of Soul owners are screaming how Jeep copied their beloved little cars. I don't see it myself. All I can say to them is, meet me at the trail head. We'll set out and see how similar our vehicles really are. If I were a college kid, I would go Renegade in a heartbeat (if I could afford it), and didn't need the cargo space. The Patriot is literally a station wagon. And unless things have changed A LOT since I was college age, station wagons don't really help you get dates. Trust me I know. My first car was a 1988 Plymouth Reliant wagon. It was called many things. "Cool" was not one of them.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
As to the Renegade being a Kia clone, I've read that. A lot of Soul owners are screaming how Jeep copied their beloved little cars. I don't see it myself.
I don't see it either. Ever since I first saw the Renegade I thought it looked uniquely Jeep.
I at one time considered the Patriot until I saw pics of the upcoming Renegade and from that point on I decided to wait for it since I loved the look so much.
So everyone's gonna be different but I consider it sportier/more fun looking than the Patriot.

·
Registered
471 Posts
A girlz, perspective & you want dates.... Renegade... HANDS DOWN! And girlz like it when you be your own person.... Be a trendsetter & don't let boyztalk keep you from making the right decision for you...... Whatever that ends up being.... (This IS assuming you're a dude, if not, reverse the genders above....or I guess I don't really even need to be gender specific these days......& the same still applies!) LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks?

We were at Lowe's the other day (I was able to get 4 x 4 pegboard sheets in the Rennie). A fellow walked up and said I don't know what that is but I like it.
I have yet to see another Rennie on the road around here. I get a lot of looks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I traded my 2011 Patriot 4x4 in on the 2015 Renegade Trailhawk. The Patriot had more cargo room and was a decent vehicle but I really didn't like the CVT transmission (that I had replaced at 48k miles). I've only had my Trailhawk for a week but I'd say if I had to choose them over again, I'd take the Renegade hands down.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I own both, and the Renegade is much quieter and more nimble than the Patriot. I have a '07 Patriot Limited 4x4 (Trail Rated), and a Renegade Latitude 4x4. I know the Patriot handles steep hills offroad very well, and has a lot more interior space (both storage and open space). I had a lot of fun in my Patriot (almost 100K miles on it), and when my son wanted to buy it from me I tried my best to convince him to buy a new Patriot so I could keep my old one. He'd rather take the 7-year old loaded Patriot over a new stripped down Patriot, he said. I finally convinced him to buy a new one, and when we started looking at new Patriots for him, I fell in love with the Renegade. I asked him if he still wanted to buy my old Patriot, and he did, so I bought myself a new Renegade to replace my old Patriot.

If you need the extra space, want a proven/classic design, and want to save a few bucks, go with the Patriot. If you want a much quieter ride, more nimble handling, the latest design, better fuel economy, and are willing to spend more money, go with the Renegade. The Patriot should be due for a major design change, so if you like that style you'd better jump on it soon. The design has changed very little since it's launch in 2007, so it is overdue for a major update.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I own both, and the Renegade is much quieter and more nimble than the Patriot. I have a '07 Patriot Limited 4x4 (Trail Rated), and a Renegade Latitude 4x4. I know the Patriot handles steep hills offroad very well, and has a lot more interior space (both storage and open space). I had a lot of fun in my Patriot (almost 100K miles on it), and when my son wanted to buy it from me I tried my best to convince him to buy a new Patriot so I could keep my old one. He'd rather take the 7-year old loaded Patriot over a new stripped down Patriot, he said. I finally convinced him to buy a new one, and when we started looking at new Patriots for him, I fell in love with the Renegade. I asked him if he still wanted to buy my old Patriot, and he did, so I bought myself a new Renegade to replace my old Patriot.

If you need the extra space, want a proven/classic design, and want to save a few bucks, go with the Patriot. If you want a much quieter ride, more nimble handling, the latest design, better fuel economy, and are willing to spend more money, go with the Renegade. The Patriot should be due for a major design change, so if you like that style you'd better jump on it soon. The design has changed very little since it's launch in 2007, so it is overdue for a major update.
I agree, the Patriot is way overdue for an update, it seems very outdated now in 2015.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Having help deciding between the two. I'm looking at two specific versions. 2015 Parriot latitude with sunroof, leather seats, power seats, DVD Player, etc. Or the silver Renegade with black cloth interior and 17" wheels. The renegade drives SO much nicer than the patriot, but I'm worried the renegade resembles more of a Kia (being a college kid, it's a lot about what you drive) where as the patriot has more of that jeep feel. Please help sway my opinion one way or the other!
The Kia Soul looks and feels nothing like a Renegade. I don't know what all the fuss is about... Ironically, the Renegade also has more personality and "soul" than a Kia Soul does. And I don't think Kia Souls are very cool or hip either, I think the whole hamster thing has created the image that it is supposed to be a cute car which means female drivers - but that is my opinion. The engine in the Kia Soul is also boring and "soul" less... either the 1.6L or the 2.0L neither of them have the spunk and character that the 1.4L T or the 2.4L engines in the Renegade.

The Patriot is very outdated, buying a brand new one is essentially the same as it was in 2007, you'd be better off buying a used patriot with low mileage if you really like it. Also, in my opinion, a patriot is not exactly "cool" when you start comparing it to the renegade, because it looks OLD (again, outdated design) and boring in comparison, inside and out. The Renegade is very much a Jeep and easily recognizable as one, but it is also clear that the exterior as well as interior design is much more modern than other small non-wrangler jeeps like patriot and compass. Cherokee is modern but doesn't have that classic jeep look to it. Grand Cherokee is modern and Jeep looking - but it is much more expensive.

Reactions: R3N3GAD3

·
Registered
56 Posts
Somewhere on this forum I hit a link that took me to FCA's plans and future projections and such. On it was Jeeps plans for the next few years. The Patriot (and Compass) will be discontinued in mid 2016, not re-designed. they will be replaced by an all new Compact SUV (that may or may not be called a "Compass" (there were debates on the name). I don't know if that will factor into the purchasing one or the other, but it may factor into how soon :).

Also on that list was a re-design for the Renegade in 2017, thou I understand that's normal for new lines, and the re-designs are normally corrections or small stuff when only a couple years after release.

Also listed was a major redesign on the Wrangler in 2017, and a Grand Wagoneer in 2018.

As personal opinion, I'm surprised any collage or younger aged person would want a Patriot, I am currently driving a Commander (full size Patriot) until my Renny arrives (Factory ordered). That boxy look feels old and outdated to me. And not just me judging by the number of cars that whip around me in traffic to "not get stuck behind the old guy Jeep".

just an opinion -- Dailach

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.