Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ostensibly FCA has made a massive error in perception, two cars, one architecture, almost harks back to the halcyon days of the Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler Neon, THOSE were the days. Kidding.

Right, obviously its easy to assume that there has been a gross over calculation of what the segment will take and what the segment will demand. On the surface it would seem that Renegade and 500X will be making similar value propositions. But remember the old adage about ducks feet?

Can the two co-exist, well why not? They're going to be speaking to nearly exclusive audiences, the 500X is more fashion forward, I won't call it cute, but its not brutal. While Renegade offers the rough and tumble, the rugged if you will. Is it wrong to think of them as male and female?

Think of the Renegade as offering a functional value proposition, one based on capability and action. While the 500X offers a design based pitch, stylish, sleek and chic.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Think of the Renegade as offering a functional value proposition, one based on capability and action. While the 500X offers a design based pitch, stylish, sleek and chic.
If that is the difference between the two, i'll take the Renegade every time. I don't even really like the styling of the 500X so I am not going to choose it when that is the best thing that it is offering people.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If that is the difference between the two, i'll take the Renegade every time. I don't even really like the styling of the 500X so I am not going to choose it when that is the best thing that it is offering people.
That's basically what Fiat is as a whole, for the most part that's what I think their vehicles will be like, don't see that changing too much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The best part about the 500x will be the fact that you'll be able to pick a used one up for 50% off the MSRP a year and a half after it goes on sale. Seriously, check out Fiat resale values. Awful.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
No worries:

Fiat 500X unlikely to steal sales from Jeep Renegade, analysts say
Analysts say the vehicles will appeal to different types of customers. "The Jeep [Renegade] and 500X can coexist, "said Giorgio Elefante, a PwC consultant.

Ian Fletcher, an IHS Automotive analyst, said the 500X is a "cute, urban vehicle with off-road capabilities," while the Renegade is the "rugged" off-roader expected from a Jeep. "They are almost like the male and female version of the same model, although I expect the two models to please both men and women."

The strength of the 500X will be its design, while that of the Renegade will be its functionality, Fletcher said.

The subcompact SUV/crossover segment is the industry's fastest growing market segment globally. IHS Automotive forecasts vehicle sales in the segment to rise 31 percent to 1.95 million units sales globally. The growth will continue next year, IHS says, with sales rising to 2.56 million units.

Fletcher said many buyers are switching to SUV/crossovers from minivans.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/...o-steal-sales-from-jeep-renegade-analysts-say

·
Registered
109 Posts
I still don't like the way it looks. It doesn't look like anything special to me.. Seems like the renegade will be bigger and have a higher driving position anyway

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had been following all the jeep "jeepster" stories and spy photo's for quite a while and was convincing myself I wanted one before i'd seen it. Then when that first picture, taken from the worst possible angle with the headline "that'll do pigley" was prematurely released I thought WTF! I thought jeep had blown it. But now I get it, big time and I think the plan was to get that type of one way or another reaction. Seeing the Fiat for the first time I just thought it was nice, nice interior too but it caused no spike in my emotions so as the jeeps looks appeal more and more to me, I think the fiats will become boring.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I don't think the 500x will be nearly as capable as the Renegade (if capability is what you're looking for) and I think a MINI Countryman would be much more fun (if fun is what you're looking for).

Just my opinion.

The 500X just kind of reminds me of a European Subaru. Basically the same idea, but slightly more stylish and possibly a bit less capable than a Subie Impreza.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the main difference between the two is that the renegades comes with optional 4x4, while the 500x will come with optional AWD,
I am hopping that the 500x will be more fuel efficient, specially with AWD because of features like cruising axl disconnect and a less rugged transmission
Who knows, maybe the 500x will come with a CVT or some sort of dual clutch with the 1.4, that makes it more fuel efficient than the tiggershark 2.4 liter

for an urban driver like me whose only use for the AWD is the occasional snowstorm the 500x makes more sense, and yes I am bias towards the fiat style which I know is subjective

another option on the table seems to be the honda hr-v, lets look first at MPG's and prices

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think the main difference between the two is that the renegades comes with optional 4x4, while the 500x will come with optional AWD,
I am hopping that the 500x will be more fuel efficient, specially with AWD because of features like cruising axl disconnect and a less rugged transmission
Who knows, maybe the 500x will come with a CVT or some sort of dual clutch with the 1.4, that makes it more fuel efficient than the tiggershark 2.4 liter

for an urban driver like me whose only use for the AWD is the occasional snowstorm the 500x makes more sense, and yes I am bias towards the fiat style which I know is subjective

another option on the table seems to be the honda hr-v, lets look first at MPG's and prices
4X4 and AWD is the exact same thing on these two vehicles as far as drive train goes. The difference is the Trailhawk and thats not by much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
4X4 and AWD is the exact same thing on these two vehicles as far as drive train goes. The difference is the Trailhawk and thats not by much.
ok, I might be wrong here, but my understanding is that a 4x4 locks traction on all 4 wheels all the time and is only used when manually activated, and an AWD only directs traction to the rear wheels when it detects slip on the front. Again I might be wrong, but that was my understanding

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
ok, I might be wrong here, but my understanding is that a 4x4 locks traction on all 4 wheels all the time and is only used when manually activated, and an AWD only directs traction to the rear wheels when it detects slip on the front. Again I might be wrong, but that was my understanding
The Jeep Renegade 4x4 is all automated:

The All-New 2015 Jeep® Renegade is available with two 4x4 systems: Jeep Active Drive on Sport, Latitude and Limited models and Jeep Active Drive Low on Trailhawk® models. Both systems feature a rear axle disconnect system that seamlessly switches between two and four-wheel drive. The system increases efficiency when 4x4 capability isn’t needed and enhances traction when it is. Both 4x4 systems give outstanding on-road performance and unmatched 4X4 capability+. Jeep Active Drive Low adds to the Trailhawk model's Trail Rated® capability with a 20:1 crawl ratio.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The Fiat 500X has the glass sunroof that the Renegade should have. The big difference is a dual roller sunshade. The Fiat 500L has a single power sunshade that powers up and back the entire way. I have read that that sunshade has had many problems. The Jeep glass sunroof sold in Europe looks like it also has one sunshade that goes from front to rear. And if you check out the Fiat web site you will see that the 500X will have 2 separate roller sunshades. You can only see the rear one in the interior picture that they show and it looks like a manual slider sunshade, which would be great, no expensive motor to break and being that it's manually operated it should cost less. Now if they would just offer that glass sunroof with 2 manually operated sunshades on the Renegade then I might be tempted to buy one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
AWD has a center differential, 4x4/4WD has no center diff. The Renegade uses a clutch to transfer power and has no center diff making it fit under the 4x4 category.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
AWD has a center differential, 4x4/4WD has no center diff. The Renegade uses a clutch to transfer power and has no center diff making it fit under the 4x4 category.
Okay, so I've read just just wee bit over the last eight months and I must have missed that description of a Renegade drivetrain you gave, are you sure your not confusing it with something else? Please give us a link to where you read this?

Here is a summary of what I have read how the Renegade 4x4 works:

The All-New 2015 Jeep® Renegade is available with two 4x4 systems:

Jeep Active Drive on Sport, Latitude and Limited models

Jeep Active Drive Low on Trailhawk® models.

Both systems feature a rear axle disconnect system that seamlessly switches between two and four-wheel drive.

The system increases efficiency when 4x4 capability isn’t needed and enhances traction when it is. Both 4x4 systems give outstanding on-road performance and unmatched 4X4 capability+.

Jeep Active Drive Low adds to the Trailhawk model's Trail Rated® capability with a 20:1 crawl ratio.
Here is the Renegade drivetrain, regardless if it is described as AWD, 4x4 or Trailhawk, they all have the same drivetrain:

The only difference between them is the Trailhawk tweaks:
Jeep Active Drive Low adds to the Trailhawk model's Trail Rated® capability with a 20:1 crawl ratio.
This is done through some tweaks in the Trailhawk gear case and software, along with the addition of the Rock mode.

Please correct any misunderstanding I may have, with links to your source information?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Okay, so I've read just just wee bit over the last eight months and I must have missed that description of a Renegade drivetrain you gave, are you sure your not confusing it with something else? Please give us a link to where you read this?

Here is a summary of what I have read how the Renegade 4x4 works:

Here is the Renegade drivetrain, regardless if it is described as AWD, 4x4 or Trailhawk, they all have the same drivetrain:

The only difference between them is the Trailhawk tweaks:

This is done through some tweaks in the Trailhawk gear case and software, along with the addition of the Rock mode.

Please correct any misunderstanding I may have, with links to your source information?
You are correct.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.