Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
W: How much does the Renegade have in common with the Fiat 500L?

PJ: As I mentioned before, the Renegade is built off our "Small Wide" architecture. What we did then was change the front engine box, the entire rear suspension, we strengthened up a lot of areas, changed some of the overall dimension points, then put an all-new driveline system in it with full-decoupled logic.

The AWD system is similar to what we put on Cherokee — a fully decoupled front and rear system where the rear RDM decouples when you don't need it and the prop shaft stops spinning.

So, when you are in normal mode driving, you are getting the full efficiencies of a FWD vehicle. Then, when you engage the system or engage it through slip, you essentially turn this whole AWD system on, where the rear will spin up, lock in with the front and now you're in 4WD, on demand.

That is very similar in methodology to the Cherokee, but it's all different hardware. The reason it's different hardware is we size the hardware based on the torque of an i4 versus a v6.

The Renegade will give you the efficiency of a front-wheel drive vehicle in an all-wheel drive package.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
At least there is info here to help make it seem more off-road worthy, just how off-road worthy it is, is the question we all have. I just hope it's off-road worthy enough. But of course we still need more info.

Thanks for posting this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.