Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've test driven both and I'm 50/50.:eek: I have 6 months before I am actually going to buy. I have some more test driving to do in the mean time. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on these two vehicles.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Personally I think that the Renegade looks way better than the 500x.
Just my 2c...
:)

Have to agree. I looked at many sport AWD vehicles before deciding I wanted a off road capable SUV. I have mainly always owned fast cars but the winter months in Illinois have gotten worse over the last couple years. But I digress, not a personal fan of the 500x. I would look more towards the Nissan Juke RS. Just my opinion. Get what will make you happy!

·
Registered
131 Posts
lol

I always rush that. Forgive my english. haha

some vehicles are more femine than others.

Fiats, beatles, percidas...

Im not saying a man cant drive them, Im just saying theres a reason Fiat went with Jennifer lopez in their commericals lol

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you want to have a roof rack then the Renegade is the one to buy. That's not optional on the Fiat 500X.
I don't think you can get any kind of a spare on the 500X. It should fit there. But I have not seen it listed as being optional. And as you know that is optional on the Renegade.

If you want a glass sunroof then for now the 500X is the one to buy. I've been told by 2 different dealers that the glass roof for the Renegade should be here in less than a years time. However I personally like the manual dual roller sunshades on the Fiat 500X much more than the singular power sunshade on the European Renegade. If only they would offer that dual manually operated roller sunshade on the Renegade! That would make it a no brainier choice.

As others have pointed out if you want a Jeep, well then get the Jeep, the Renegade.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
For me, even if the 500X drove better, I would still buy the Renegade for its looks alone. I assume the 500X does have marginally better handling since it is a few inches less tall.

And the 500X doesn't have a Trailhawk version. That's just my two cents.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Personally I think that the Renegade looks way better than the 500x.
Just my 2c...
:)
I considered the 500x, as I did have a New Beetle in the past & loved it, especially since the 500x was like $2k less for a similar config...but the Jeep definitely looked better, plus I like the roominess inside from the boxier design. Also, the quirky but masculine design definitely pushed me over the edge.

·
Registered
87 Posts
For me it was quite simple. The Renegade comes with the mechanical trifecta: manual transmission + turbocharged engine + all-wheel drive! The 500X, like the Renegade, exclusively mates the 1.4 turbo to the six-speed manual and the 2.4 naturally aspirated engine to the 9-speed slushbox. Unlike Jeep however, Fiat only couples that engine/trans package with front-wheel drive, and even then only offers that engine/trans package on their base trim, Pop.

With Renegade, you can get the 1.4T/6spd with all-wheel drive for both Sport and Latitude trims. Furthermore, you can add the Cold Weather Package onto Latitude manuals (other packages for Latitude force the 2.4/9spd) as well. In short, a turbo/manual Renegade can be more well-appointed than a turbo/manual 500X.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Depends what you like. The Jeep is a much more ruggedly styled vehicle and certainly good looking. 500X is more conservatively styled but has a definite euro look which distinguishes it from the many generic looking small CUVs out there. Where the 500X distinguishes itself is the interior. Looks much more high quality and less plasticy than the Renegade especially in the Lounge model. Body colored dash and brighter looking interior trim with color choices including saddle leather. Love the 18 inch turbine style wheels on the Lounge.

Like them both, but if push came to shove I go with the 500X since I'm not looking for off roading or even AWD. Euro look and upscale interior would win out for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like both!

I too am considering buying a Renegade (hence my forum-lurking) but I really like the 500X, inside and out. They aren't available here in Alaska, but the Jeeps are, so that may be the deciding factor for me. Both nice vehicles, though!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have to agree with Rick; the automatic-only 4x4 Fiat sealed the deal for me with the Jeep.
When I first heard that thd two would share platforms I thought it would be awesome to get a manual 4x4 500x and then "upgrade" it with the more off-road geared Jeep parts that would hopefully bolt right up. I figured a 4x4 Fiat 500x with a two or three inch lift, off road tires, a roof basket and a spair on the roof would look awesome at an offroad park.
That said, the Jeep is not a bad consolation prize. I got the Sierra (smurf) blue which should be pretty unique. The interior room of the Jeep is much better as well. Around here I'm lucky if I see another Renegade every other week or so so its pretty unique on its own.

-Jason

·
Registered
182 Posts
I drove them both and I liked the Renegade better over all. The Fast Lane has a video on YouTube comparing both and they summed it by saying something like; If you live in the City go with the 500X and if you live in the country go with the Renegade. Fiat has a limited dealer network so I checked with a Chrysler/Jeep dealer close to where I live and they told me they could service a Fiat but could not perform warranty work on them. The closest Jeep dealer is 8 miles away while the closes Fiat dealer is about 40 miles away. There are approximately 10 jeep dealers within a 40 mile radius of where I live so I have choices with Jeep for buying and service.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I prefer the Renegade exterior looks, interior dimensions and dash design over the Fiat but I think some of the interior materials offered in the Fiat are nicer. There is a brown leather in the fiat that I'd like in a Renegade. It has a worn in look that would sit well with a nice "heritage" colour like hunter green or Jetset blue, even black. And the chrome rimmed dash buttons in the fiat look more expensive than some of the jeep touches.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.