Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Cherokee is the smallest Jeep right now. The Renegade will replace that. Will the two of them share anything?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Found this old thread to dig up just as I was about to start a new one on the very same subject...

Once I started looking at the Renegade and found that the cargo area was just a touch smaller than I'd hoped for I looked for an alternative in the Cherokee. I haven't had a chance to measure one up (that's on this week's to-do list) but I began looking around for other comparisons, particularly on the subject of their capability.

I found this:

Interesting to say the least. (I think this was also covered elsewhere on this forum... I just don't remember where.) Despite the numbers I'd really like to see someone do a proper off-road comparison test. 4 cylinders vs. 4 cylinders and 4 cylinders vs. 6 cylinders. I think the power of the V6 (not to mention the much lower crawl ratio gearing on the Cherokee) will still put it ahead of the Renegade... but at what level of trail. I'm no hardcore off-roader, but I would like to go further off road than what I presently do.

In terms of price, I could afford a decently equipped Cherokee Trailhawk, but obviously I'd rather spend less if I can.

One of the most significant advantages of the Cherokee that I can see is the V6 and it's towing ability. 4500 pounds is a lot... while the 4 cylinder Renegade can only pull 2000. A small-ish pop-up trailer comes in just under 2000 pounds, while a decent camper-trailer will be 3500+. It could be a little frustrating to buy a vehicle capable of towing, equipped with a hitch... only to find that very very things can be towed.

Looks: I'd take the Renegade over the Cherokee any day without a second thought.

What other aspects of these two does anyone else think about?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Found this old thread to dig up just as I was about to start a new one on the very same subject...

Once I started looking at the Renegade and found that the cargo area was just a touch smaller than I'd hoped for I looked for an alternative in the Cherokee. I haven't had a chance to measure one up (that's on this week's to-do list) but I began looking around for other comparisons, particularly on the subject of their capability.

I found this:

Interesting to say the least. (I think this was also covered elsewhere on this forum... I just don't remember where.) Despite the numbers I'd really like to see someone do a proper off-road comparison test. 4 cylinders vs. 4 cylinders and 4 cylinders vs. 6 cylinders. I think the power of the V6 (not to mention the much lower crawl ratio gearing on the Cherokee) will still put it ahead of the Renegade... but at what level of trail. I'm no hardcore off-roader, but I would like to go further off road than what I presently do.

In terms of price, I could afford a decently equipped Cherokee Trailhawk, but obviously I'd rather spend less if I can.

One of the most significant advantages of the Cherokee that I can see is the V6 and it's towing ability. 4500 pounds is a lot... while the 4 cylinder Renegade can only pull 2000. A small-ish pop-up trailer comes in just under 2000 pounds, while a decent camper-trailer will be 3500+. It could be a little frustrating to buy a vehicle capable of towing, equipped with a hitch... only to find that very very things can be towed.

Looks: I'd take the Renegade over the Cherokee any day without a second thought.

What other aspects of these two does anyone else think about?
I don't. Wrangler is too uncomfortable and uses to much gas for daily use. Cherokee I can't get over that front end. To me it goes in line with the Juke and Aztec. The Renegade is the only way to go for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Traded in a 2014 Cherokee 4x4 with 12,000 miles for a Renegade Latitude 4x4. Why? My wife hated the Cherokee, she had a hard time seeing out of it, thought it looked too soccer momish (I was attracted to the Cherokee for the trailhawk, but was impatient and bought a latitude on the lot rather than wait for a TH). I think the non-trailhawk Renegades look much better than the non-trailhawk Cherokees. Not that looks are everything - I overpaid for the Cherokee and had a higher interest rate ... Saving $65 a month on payments for a Renegade with more options.

We prefer the Renegade overall ... More nimble, sits higher; sportier look, feel, and drive to it. Its smaller but I feel like it has a better use of space. It feels more like a "real Jeep" than the Cherokee, which felt more like a station wagon. We get a lot of looks and compliments (even more so than with the Cherokee when it was new and I was the first around to have one of those too). Since the Renegade has the same 2.4 size engine in a smaller, lighter package it feels much more powerful than the Cherokee did. The gas mileage has been phenomenal ... Averaging 26 - 28 in mixed driving ... Took a small 100 mile highway trip and got 40 mpg. The Cherokee averaged 22-24 mpg mixed and 28-30 highway for us broken inn.

I can't say I don't miss the Cherokee ... Its more of a luxury vehice whereas the Renegade is more of a sporty SUV. Cherokee was a much more comfortable ride, higher quality interior, better fit and finish, and obviously more legroom, but we knew all this going in. What kills me about the Renegade is with less than 400 miles it already has two problems that I need to take it in for (today actually) ... Door locks not working and a buzzing, muffled speaker. The Cherokee had zero problems in 12k miles. I have learned my lesson to stick with something that works. My wife on the other hand was obsessed with the Renegade since the moment she saw a picture of one. Now we have it, with all the bugs too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts