Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just left our new Renegade 2L limited auto at the dealers as it won't release the ignition key. Car says put car into park to release key trouble is the car is in park!! switch it on and off put it into and out of park keep trying then it will suddenly release the key. Mechanic tried it and he couldn't release the key either. So we now have a manual loaner......

Mechanic says parts may take upto a month to arrive WTF.:(

And before someone says take your foot off the brake we have the key refuses to turn far enough to release.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My fix was post number 25.

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...s/19505-key-stuck-ignition-2015-renegade.html

I chose to bypass the "safety" feature that FCA felt was necessary in our sue happy society.

It was a fairly simple fix and didn't take too long once I decided to just bypass it instead of try and deal with my local dealer, the wait, and then the possibility of the same thing happening again.....

Erik

·
Registered
228 Posts
My 2.0 Limited manual is sometimes a little reluctant to release the key.
Perhaps occurs 1 in 10 journeys?
I just turn the ignition a fraction and then turn the key back, and it then frees it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a keyless entry so I cannot really test this, but do you try to move the steering wheel while turning the key for taking it off?

I know that the steering wheel locks itself when the engine is off, and you need to move a little bit the steering wheel left and right whilst simultaneously turning the key anti-clock-wise to either take it off or clock-wise to start the engine.

Does it have something to do with that...?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mike yes we have tried everything even reading the handbook! Dealer says that there is a fault with a safety interlock switch so we will have to wait for the part to turn up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My fix was post number 25.

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...s/19505-key-stuck-ignition-2015-renegade.html

I chose to bypass the "safety" feature that FCA felt was necessary in our sue happy society.

It was a fairly simple fix and didn't take too long once I decided to just bypass it instead of try and deal with my local dealer, the wait, and then the possibility of the same thing happening again.....

Erik
Hi Erik thanks for that how did you defeat the safety switch? the dealer says that its a safety switch and has ordered it so now we wait....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Erik thanks for that how did you defeat the safety switch? the dealer says that its a safety switch and has ordered it so now we wait....
I unplugged the power to the safety switch, which put the safety pin in the up or locked position - I was really hoping for the opposite. I then pulled down on the pin using the small rubber nub that is on the bottom of it and took a small zip tie around the post (between the nub and the bottom of the safety switch pot) to hold the pin down. It has worked without an issue since I have done this. And as soon as I put it all back together, I remembered that I forgot to take a picture, sorry.

I don't know if the dealer would do this or not. Hope this helps some.

Erik

·
Registered
261 Posts
I unplugged the power to the safety switch, which put the safety pin in the up or locked position - I was really hoping for the opposite. I then pulled down on the pin using the small rubber nub that is on the bottom of it and took a small zip tie around the post (between the nub and the bottom of the safety switch pot) to hold the pin down. It has worked without an issue since I have done this. And as soon as I put it all back together, I remembered that I forgot to take a picture, sorry.

I don't know if the dealer would do this or not. Hope this helps some.

Erik
Hi. Does this mean that know your key can be pulled out even when on the "on" position? i.e. even with the engine on and whilst driving?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.