Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the Renegade is more of a soft roader than an off roader, well maybe thats not exactly fair. It has certainly been given some of the tools necessary to be capable when the track ends, but its size mean its capabilities are inherantly limited, coupled with a target market not exaclty in the market for hard core rock walking and you get this:

AWD, 20:1 crawl ratio, 8.7 inches of ground clearance and a rock crawling mode...

Enough for you?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I doubt may people will be hitting trails extreme enough to run into problems on off-road terrain. seems like most of these will be for city folk,

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are the Basic specs for the BU Renegade off road capabilities in FWD, AWD and Trailhawk...

Renegade Trailhawk

Approach angle 30.5°
Breakover angle 25.7°
Departure angle 34.3°
Running clearance 8.7
Water crossing (5 mph) 19”

Renegade AWD

Approach angle 21.0°
Breakover angle 24.0°
Departure angle 32.1°
Running clearance 7.9
Water crossing (5 mph) 0

Renegade FWD

Approach angle 17.9°
Breakover angle 21.2°
Departure angle 29.7°
Running clearance 6.7
Water crossing (5 mph) 0

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here are the Basic specs for the BU Renegade off road capabilities in FWD, AWD and Trailhawk...

Renegade Trailhawk

Approach angle 30.5°
Breakover angle 25.7°
Departure angle 34.3°
Running clearance 8.7
Water crossing (5 mph) 19”

Renegade AWD

Approach angle 21.0°
Breakover angle 24.0°
Departure angle 32.1°
Running clearance 7.9
Water crossing (5 mph) 0

Renegade FWD

Approach angle 17.9°
Breakover angle 21.2°
Departure angle 29.7°
Running clearance 6.7
Water crossing (5 mph) 0
WOW! so basically, don't bother with any other trim package if you plan on fording puddles!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Honestly, if you plan to do anything harder then dirt roads as far as off-roading goes, the Trailhawk looks be be what you need. Some of the pictures I have seen, I think this will be the first jeep that gets slammed.

Slamming for those that might not know is lowering the vehicle as low as possible.

Scott

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Renegade will never be about the off road, even in Trailhawk guise there are still far more capable options available, Like say a KL for a few more grand. The Renegade is about letting people feel like they could go off road, its the same as when everyone was buying SUV's in the 90's for the chance they had to hop a curb. People all wanted to LOOK like they could off road if they really, really wanted to, no one did. Now with the CUV's coming out all the auto media is crucifying the cute utes for NOT offering the off road prowess that NO ONE was demanding, now all of a sudden people want off road ability again... In steps Jeep...

This has nothing to do with you guys here, as my experience has always been that the realest of the real will gather on forums, especially at this stage. Just a general observation on trends...

·
Registered
49 Posts
So to answer your original question....20:1, break over, approach and departure angles enough? Absolutely. Although I am, perhaps, one of the few people (even on this forum) with plans to see what this truck can do on a trail, the specs still satisfy my current off road driving dedication. Now my 20yrold self with the 72 Bronco sitting on 34s and a 4 inch lift? Absolutely not, but those days of reckless abandon are over (and frankly not missed). However, there is a side of me that likes to see where that logging road goes, or wants to camp at 4x4 only sites. For that, this is perfect.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree, a rock crawler no, a machine to do some back woods hard pan exploring and maybe a trip out on the beach to watch the crazys in the 72 Broncos yea most likely. Looking at the suspension pictures floating around here some where, i'd say it won't be to hard to lift it say 2" inches or so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Long Island ny I was wondering what the off road beach capabilities will be. It seems like it will have the power;however Iam concerned about the clearance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Using the KL as a benchmark for Renegade performance is a joke. The new Cherokee suffers from the same problem the Renegade will suffer from...NO articulation. That, and you can't lift them to add any. Therefore, these Jeeps will be VERY prone to tipping over and will not be truly trail ready. Sure, they'll be great for snow, mud, and the forest service roads...but if you want to go on, say, a Jeep Jamboree event you can forget about it.

Four wheel drive systems mean absolutely nothing if you can't keep your rubber on the ground.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Basically for mild off-road terrain, they just want to cater to the city folk with these from what it seems.

·
Registered
465 Posts
the four wheel drive will help in regular 99% of the time driving situations for more grip in poor conditions

i personally wont be taking the renegade to the rocks anyways

·
Registered
104 Posts
The thing that bug's me the most is the fact that you have to buy the trail hawk to get the off road or most capable driveline. That used to be standard on a jeep, heck its what made Jeep what it is. Now you got to take all the crap that comes with the trail hawk most of which causes head aches because it doesn't work or creates issues that will take you to the stealership every other day. The only decent drivetrain available any more is in a Wrangler or GC.
I'm not looking for any hard core off roading but low range IMO is a must in any 4 wheel drive vehicle because it comes in handy for a lot more than just off roading, its why they used to be called utility vehicles. I just wish Jeep would listen to what made the brand what it is.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The thing that annoys me is that the standards for the Trail Rated branding on the vehicle are all unique to each model. In other words, the Renegade doesn't have to do what the Grand Cherokee can do to earn the badge. The Cherokee doesn't have to do what the Wrangler can do to earn the badge.

It totally and completely kills all merit in the system. Basically, Jeep comes up with any arbitrary rules they want for each model so they can slap that badge on there and make it look like the vehicle has capability that the competition doesn't.

The only way the Trail Rated system would be worth a nickle is if there was ONE standard for all vehicles to pass to earn the badge. As it is..A Subaru will destroy the Renegade in every non-pavement test you could throw at it. And that is why this vehicle hurts the Jeep name by watering it down.

Having said that, if building these keeps them able to sell Wranglers, more power to them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Are you saying that even with the TH 4Lo the Renegade won't have articulation? I saw this video with the Jeep Marketing Director driving the Cherokee and while it doesn't have as much as the Wrangler, it does go over rocks (even on 2 wheels according to him).

·
Registered
78 Posts
mumble...

·
Registered
78 Posts
more stuff

1 - 20 of 25 Posts