Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had our first good dump in Colorado last night. About 8" of snow where I live and some decent winds pushing it around building drifts of 12-14". Alarm went off at 5 this morning to go to the gym and the wife and I said what the **** and went for it.

All I can say is WOW! That little jeep is a beast in the snow. Had to bust through a 10" drift to get down my driveway and I hardly even noticed it was there as I plowed through it. Overall very confidence inspiring to drive in the white stuff. Got the email after working out that the office was closed for the day but I decided to go in anyway and get some stuff done.

For reference, I've been around jeeps all my life. My other jeep is a CJ5, brother drives a TJ, wife a Compass, daughter a Liberty. Had a Grand Cherokee as a company car for a couple years and I even had an old Commando back in my college days. Honestly no other jeep I've driven made me feel so in control over lousy roads.

Just figured I'd relay something positive about the Reny. For all of its quirks of which we hear so much about on this forum, I've found it a joy to drive when the roads are nasty.

Joe

·
Registered
20 Posts
We just had our first good dump in Colorado last night. About 8" of snow where I live and some decent winds pushing it around building drifts of 12-14". Alarm went off at 5 this morning to go to the gym and the wife and I said what the **** and went for it.

All I can say is WOW! That little jeep is a beast in the snow. Had to bust through a 10" drift to get down my driveway and I hardly even noticed it was there as I plowed through it. Overall very confidence inspiring to drive in the white stuff. Got the email after working out that the office was closed for the day but I decided to go in anyway and get some stuff done.
Do you have the stock tires on or did you put new tires on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We just had our first good dump in Colorado......

Do you have the stock tires on or did you put new tires on?
Stock tires. I'm not a fan of the Wrangler SR-A's it came with but I'm a cheapskate by trade so I'll wait until they wear out then see what lifts/tires are available then.

·
Registered
204 Posts

For reference, I've been around jeeps all my life. My other jeep is a CJ5, brother drives a TJ, wife a Compass, daughter a Liberty. Had a Grand Cherokee as a company car for a couple years and I even had an old Commando back in my college days. Honestly no other jeep I've driven made me feel so in control over lousy roads.

Just figured I'd relay something positive about the Reny. For all of its quirks of which we hear so much about on this forum, I've found it a joy to drive when the roads are nasty.

Joe
I am jealous they keep saying we will have snow on the roads and bad conditions so I wake up hit the remote start and eventually wander out to a drizzle of rain not an ounce of snow.

Have been doing snow dances just so I can check out how it does in the snow, and to aggravate a friend....win win imo.

P.S. What package and tire size do you have?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is a trailhawk. Not sure what the tire size is off the top of my head. It's exactly the same as the day I drove it off the lot other than slush mats. Has the cold weather package as well which is awesome. My CJ took a half hour to warm up in the winter and warm was definitely a relative term.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am not jealous. Winter is long enough as it is without giving up half of Fall (which has happened more than a few times in my life). Also I'm still stuck in my Cobalt SS until the Renegade shows up sometime in hopefully January.

That said, I'm glad to hear this. I'm really looking forward to being able to get out of my parking spot!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I am not jealous. Winter is long enough as it is without giving up half of Fall (which has happened more than a few times in my life). Also I'm still stuck in my Cobalt SS until the Renegade shows up sometime in hopefully January.

That said, I'm glad to hear this. I'm really looking forward to being able to get out of my parking spot!
Ha, here in SoCal "winter" is 77 degrees and sunny and 60s is cold. Dipping into the 40s at night is considered a big deal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ha, here in SoCal "winter" is 77 degrees and sunny and 60s is cold. Dipping into the 40s at night is considered a big deal.
I visited North Hollywood for a few days in, I think, January of 2005 (originally I had planned to move out there, but the plan fell through after I had the plane tickets). I expected nice 70 degree weather, but it never got out of the low 60's. I was robbed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
had my Renny Sport 1month No snow here yet In SE Pa . got the base Model with the 16 black rims Continental crosstrek tires? I guess we will see when the white stuff gets here but sure is great to hear Positive posts about this Thanks you. By the way Im digging my new Renegade , My Tacoma is sitting Idle. Fun to drive have 3500 Miles so far .

·
Registered
2 Posts

Joe

Joe, did you use the "snow" setting all the time, including in the ice, slush, just wet roads, etc?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the most part yeah I put it in snow mode and forgot about it. The storm broke about midday and any who are familiar with Colorado winters know the snow doesn't stay around long after the sun comes back out. Later in the afternoon the main streets were mostly clear already so I was back to auto mode, clicking into snow mode for the side streets and neighborhood streets which are usually a lot sloppier due to plows focusing on the main drags.

I found snow mode to be very effective at maintaining traction, particularly from a stop. It seems to blunt the power when you first hit the gas from a stop which prevents loss of traction from over-zealous, ham-fisted application of throttle. It also seems to dial up the sensitivity of the traction control. Made one right turn from a stop light early in the morning in some pretty deep snow. The blinky light came on in the instrument cluster to let me know the system was active and the reny just dug in and went where I steered it with very little drama. Last thing I could tell (and maybe my imagination) is that the tranny shifts like butter in snow mode. No jerky abrupt shifts to leave you feeling unsettled.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I did a remote at the GM dealership yesterday here in town, and one of the salesman came from a Jeep background, where they had to spend six hours getting to know the Renegade. He tells me a couple great things....1) The Trailhawk version was designed to go through many inches of WATER without issue.......(mine is not one of these models...maybe the next one if there is)....and 2) I'm going to LOVE THIS VEHICLE in the snow! He tells me they're excellent handling!

Today we have the "winter storm watch" according to some sources, and the "winter weather advisory" according to others for 3 to 8 inches of snow. I think I want to find a very large parking lot and go get to know this thing!

Was encouraged, despite my issues with the computer/radio thing to be told that the very REASON for having a vehicle like this (getting places, not the electronics)....SHOULD be quite well demonstrated by it's performance in snow.....We'll see today and tomorrow! Stock tires, because like others here, I don't want to replace until the need arises.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I did a remote at the GM dealership yesterday here in town, and one of the salesman came from a Jeep background, where they had to spend six hours getting to know the Renegade. He tells me a couple great things....1) The Trailhawk version was designed to go through many inches of WATER without issue.......(mine is not one of these models...maybe the next one if there is)....and 2) I'm going to LOVE THIS VEHICLE in the snow! He tells me they're excellent handling!

Today we have the "winter storm watch" according to some sources, and the "winter weather advisory" according to others for 3 to 8 inches of snow. I think I want to find a very large parking lot and go get to know this thing!

Was encouraged, despite my issues with the computer/radio thing to be told that the very REASON for having a vehicle like this (getting places, not the electronics)....SHOULD be quite well demonstrated by it's performance in snow.....We'll see today and tomorrow! Stock tires, because like others here, I don't want to replace until the need arises.
Good perspective. As long as I can get around well enough I don't care whether my bluetooth is working.

Reactions: Lackadazikal

·
Registered
302 Posts
My salesman took the Renegade course and one of the things they had to do was drive thru a tank with 19 inches of water in it. They had to drive down a steep ramp into it, wade across and take a steep ramp out. He shot video with his cell phone out the window. By the time mine arrives, winter will be well established here in Michigan so I am encouraged by reports of it's good performance in snow.

Tim

Reactions: syzygy
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.