Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking to see if anyone else has had these issues...

I have a 2016 Jeep Renegade DoJ edition that has had repeated issues with the MySky weather stripping and the glue used to hold the pieces in place. The stripping has had to be replaced 5 times due to glue failures since I purchased it and now, just as the factory warranty runs out, the rear door stripping is having the same issue...
Water Sky Material property Space Glass
Black Sky Space

The part number is 68417438aa (called the weather run channel). What is happening, per the dealership mechanic, is that the glue in the channel that holds the piece in place had failed some time ago and the action of opening and closing the rear windows forces the stripping up and out of place, damaging the stripping and window seal.

Of course, after speaking to a very rude customer service rep, I find out this part is not covered under Mopar's Maximum Care extended warranty as it is considered "cosmetic trim"...how is something that keeps wind and rain out of your car or truck "cosmetic"?

If anyone else has seen or dealt with this how did you go about getting it repaired? Is it doable yourself and if so what glue/adhesive can I use to ensure I don't have the repeat problems like I'm having with the MySky stripping? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks all :)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

It isn't the weather stripping fault.
The window needs to be adjusted. The window is going too far up which is causing the weather stripping to fail/get pushed out of place.
The window needs to be adjusted so that it doesn't go up so far as to distort/damage the weather stripping.
... I have the same thing going on, I just haven't taken the time to make the adjustment yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that something I can do myself?

On closer inspection all the windows have some type of damage to the run channel. I find this very unusual for a 3ish year old car, it's not like I'm rocking the windows up and down all the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts

The window needs to be adjusted. The window is going too far up which is causing the weather stripping to fail/get pushed out of place.
The window needs to be adjusted so that it doesn't go up so far as to distort/damage the weather stripping.
... I have the same thing going on, I just haven't taken the time to make the adjustment yet.
My dealer replaced that weatherstripping four times on the rear door before I finally convinced him to take the door apart like you said

They ended up replacing the whole window channel assembly and adjusting

Now my front door window assembly is acting up , where the window actually popped out of the channel/guides

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
My dealer replaced that weatherstripping four times on the rear door before I finally convinced him to take the door apart like you said

They ended up replacing the whole window channel assembly and adjusting

Now my front door window assembly is acting up , where the window actually popped out of the channel/guides
Awesome, I am glad that you were able to get it fixed. (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update - After contacting Jeep the piece on all 4 doors is getting replace, on closer inspection it was found that they all have some damage.
However, I spoke to my Service Advisor and she had no idea what I was talking about regarding the window adjustment when I brought it up...is there anything anyone can point me to that shows how to do it or that it could be contributing to the problem? I don't want this to be a reoccurring repair and if they can go in and fix the windows when they have the truck that would be great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2015 TH has the same issue on the passenger side. I keep forgetting about it since I don't use that side. It is out of warranty anyway. I have to many other issues with this car that need fix before I worry about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have a 2016 Jeep Renegade DoJ edition that has had repeated issues with the MySky weather stripping and the glue used to hold the pieces in place. The stripping has had to be replaced 5 times due to glue failures since I purchased it and now, just as the factory warranty runs out, the rear door stripping is having the same issue...
View attachment 2396347722 View attachment 2396347721

The part number is 68417438aa (called the weather run channel). What is happening, per the dealership mechanic, is that the glue in the channel that holds the piece in place had failed some time ago and the action of opening and closing the rear windows forces the stripping up and out of place, damaging the stripping and window seal.

Of course, after speaking to a very rude customer service rep, I find out this part is not covered under Mopar's Maximum Care extended warranty as it is considered "cosmetic trim"...how is something that keeps wind and rain out of your car or truck "cosmetic"?

If anyone else has seen or dealt with this how did you go about getting it repaired? Is it doable yourself and if so what glue/adhesive can I use to ensure I don't have the repeat problems like I'm having with the MySky stripping? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks all :)
Hey I'm wondering if you got any solutions.. I think I have the same problem. My window is curling up the rubber runner and shifting the window forward. It's very frustrating

·
Registered
5 Posts

Hey I'm wondering if you got any solutions.. I think I have the same problem. My window is curling up the rubber runner and shifting the window forward. It's very frustrating

Good afternoon, I having the same issue with the window pushing the trim up. Can you explain the "vocabulary" on adjusting the window upward speed/height

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2019 had the front driver's window rubber replaced....cracked at the seam in the upper corner. Replaced when truck was 1 year old. Dealer tech that fixed it was a hack and he had to replace it twice before I accepted it. Today I noticed the front passenger side window rubber is doing the same exact thing. WTF? I'm not taking it to the dealer so some hack can screw up my door like before. Has anyone replaced this rubber themselves? It's only $70. If I can do it without taking the door apart I'll do it myself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
. WTF? I'm not taking it to the dealer so some hack can screw up my door like before. Has anyone replaced this rubber themselves? It's only $70. If I can do it without taking the door apart I'll do it myself.
Keep in mind that replacing parts is not a solution but only a quick fix.

The window needs to be properly adjusted or you will just damage your repair and have to start all over again.

Go to a different, trusted garage and have the faulty window rectified would be my first choice.

·
Registered
2017 renegade trailhawk 9 spd auto glacier metallic, preferred package 27E
633 Posts

gorilla glue

1 - 12 of 12 Posts