Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I got my new roof rack in the mail and installed. I opted for this system because it came with universal mounts I could use on the crossbars I bought originally. Something about spending $300 on crossbars for a platform that already costs $550 didn’t seem too appealing. So everything with the rack worked really well. I put it together in my living room in about an hour and used the universal crossbars mounts to put it on the car. What was especially nice is that the kit I bought came with all the necessary hardware to mount it to rhino racks own crossbars if I ever choose to do that in the future (I won’t).

In addition to the platform, I also bought their mounts for my cheap off brand awning That I’m in love with. Usually, I would just use what I have or make my own mounts, but these were powder coated so I went for it. The tracks on the platform make it so incredibly easy to adjust everything as needed, and I’m very much looking forward to mounting my traction boards, shovel, camp chairs, etc to the platform. That being said, I will not be buying Rhino Racks’ proprietary mounting systems. $120 for a traction board mount that I can make for $10? No thank you. I think that’s the appeal for me with this platform, you can kind of make it your own.

Some pictures after I got it installed with the awning mounts.

(Check the Rainbow)

I plan on installing my shovel mount (quick fist) and traction boards sometime this weekend. I’ll update with more pictures if anyone is interested

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Awesome. good job. Thanks for the pics. (y)

Reactions: Goku

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Outstanding pictures and I am sure others will agree and use your set-up in the future.

A great piece of equipment you have there, Thankyou :love:

·
Super Moderator
3,574 Posts
Looks great thanks for posting!

Reactions: Goku

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Outstanding pictures and I am sure others will agree and use your set-up in the future.

A great piece of equipment you have there, Thankyou :love:
Thanks so much! I’ll do my best to get pictures of the awning, shovel and traction boards mounted this weekend

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Goku , what about front and rear winch? (y)(y)(y):D

ps I want first offer on your traction boards that you make :love: or at least give me the design. Ones that come with holes and a lanyard attached works great as they can then be attached to the rear and pulled along as you self recover. No need to stop till clear of the hazard :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Goku , what about front and rear winch? (y)(y)(y):D

ps I want first offer on your traction boards that you make :love: or at least give me the design. Ones that come with holes and a lanyard attached works great as they can then be attached to the rear and pulled along as you self recover. No need to stop till clear of the hazard :p
I’ve been in contact with avid and have been put on the waiting list for a Radius front bumper and their Contour rear bumper, the one with the hitch and attachment points. I’ll also be ordering some basic rock sliders as well, so if anyone has any good things to say about any particular brand let me know. I already know about Rocky Ridge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here’s the finished product for my traction boards. I used two pieces of 3/8” x 6” threaded rod, a channel nut for each along with spring washer, flat washer and some locking nuts. I ordered the thru knobs off amazon. I think it’ll work pretty well, But I also have spare thru knobs in my tool kit in the Jeep because I’m sure I’ll lose one of them when I inevitably have to use the boards. I think what I would do next time is grab some 5” hex bolts rather than cut my own threaded rod. So I’ll probably change it in the near future if they become annoying to screw off.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The knobs that you used are standard on most LawnMowers. Look out for spare ones at your local "Coup" where people dispose of their goods.

Looks like I need to Google a supplier of those boards for the UK. I got a rear wheel stuck in the soft wet sand the other day and had to slip the boat off the trailer, relocate and rewinch the boat back onto the trailer.

Putting down Tread boards before I make that final, single, wheel turn to bring the trailer againstthe boat is sounding better at every turn (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Yeah a padlock sounds a great idea to deter the little thieves that are always kicking around.

Why they feel the need to steal from a fellow 4x4er is beyond me. Especially as the guys with the boards is certainly going to be the first person to give assistance as opposed to offering their vehicle.

I can suggest a great company that installs front and rear cameras that work 24/7 as well :p:D:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah a padlock sounds a great idea to deter the little thieves that are always kicking around.

Why they feel the need to steal from a fellow 4x4er is beyond me. Especially as the guys with the boards is certainly going to be the first person to give assistance as opposed to offering their vehicle.

I can suggest a great company that installs front and rear cameras that work 24/7 as well :p:D:D
Couldn't you drill a hole in the top of the threaded rod and put a small lock through it?
... you know, to keep the knobs from coming off.
i originally tried that and I was going to use trailer hitch pins tethered to the roof rack with some coated steel wire cable but I couldn’t get it just right and since I don’t have a vice right now I decided to go the route of knobs. I do like that idea though, so maybe when I get a vice and get moved I’ll fix it. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Trailer hitch pins for want of a better description is what I started typing earlier and it all became quite confusing due to the terminology from across "The pond".

The pins we use to secure our trailer number plate boards with some heavy 100LB breaking strain fishing line (doesn't rot) attached would suffice.

Securing the screwed rod will only need a vice and perhaps a small 2mm hole 3mm at tops for using the pins. The secret is to very lightly grind off the threads on opposite sides of the rod ever so little. Hit the flat part with a small centre punch, just enough that your drill bit will get a grip and apply light pressure. The hole will be drilled in no time at all and fitted the rod reinstalled.

Fit the boards and fit the pin :love:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts