Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already posted my "how-to" video in an introduction thread but I figured I would also put it here in case people are looking to build themselves a nice sleeping platform. Through my search I realized another user actually built one and posted instructions here a couple of years back. (Sleeping Platform)

The platform I built is very similar in measurements (and maybe used the same exact carpet) but my design rests directly on the seats and cargo area. This build maybe more useful for the heavy set users like myself but may not be ideal to carry around with you as it weighs 60lbs and makes it a bit awkward to reach under the false floor if you don't have a spare tire and use it for storage.

anyway, here's the design, pricing sheet, and how-to video and please let me know if you have any questions I can help with. enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
3,574 Posts
Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Simply outstanding both the video and the description. :love::love::love:

You intimated if anyone can improve it then let you know. At 7 mins and 23 seconds you are attempting to put a pad beneath a leg and suggest that you will velcro it into place when not in use.

Make your pad swivel and be permanently fixed. Before laying the carpet a solution would be to place the pad in position and drill through both the pad and the platform. Drill your hole equal to the diameter of your bolt ie M6 (6mm) Drill a 15mm recess hole approx 6mm deep at each end of your drill hole to accomodate a long bolt. The recess allows the bolt head and nut to remain flush with the pad and platform.

Now you can simply swivel the pad into location when in use and turn it in the opposite direction when finished to allow the leg to lie flat with the pad fixed alongside it.

You have now removed any worries about the pad dropping off or velcro coming loose.

DIY? I am an expert at that but crap with the mechanics of a Jeep :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simply outstanding both the video and the description. :love::love::love:

You intimated if anyone can improve it then let you know. At 7 mins and 23 seconds you are attempting to put a pad beneath a leg and suggest that you will velcro it into place when not in use.

Make your pad swivel and be permanently fixed. Before laying the carpet a solution would be to place the pad in position and drill through both the pad and the platform. Drill your hole equal to the diameter of your bolt ie M6 (6mm) Drill a 15mm recess hole approx 6mm deep at each end of your drill hole to accomodate a long bolt. The recess allows the bolt head and nut to remain flush with the pad and platform.

Now you can simply swivel the pad into location when in use and turn it in the opposite direction when finished to allow the leg to lie flat with the pad fixed alongside it.

You have now removed any worries about the pad dropping off or velcro coming loose.

DIY? I am an expert at that but crap with the mechanics of a Jeep :p
Good call! thanks for the tip, I think I'm gonna do that on the next day off!

·
Super Moderator
1,514 Posts
Cool.

Does the standard trunk floor panel stay in and this goes on top, or does this "replace" it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool.

Does the standard trunk floor panel stay in and this goes on top, or does this "replace" it?
this goes on top of the current floor panel. If you want it to replace it you can cut out some notches that hit the plastic pieces of the side panel put there to hold the floor panel. Or you can also make the whole thing about 3 inches more narrow. even so, it would stick out a bit so I would use something something thinner than 2x3 studs for the frame and that should reduce the size enough to fit into that cargo area

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so I was going to modify this platform so that it fits under the false floor storage but I was thinking maybe I should sell this one and build another. hmmm any interest??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts