Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a basket to add to my roof rack...right now I just have crossbars with nothing on top.

Is it easy to take on/off the basket or is it time consuming?

My main hesitation is for strapping large/bulky items that won't fit in the basket. For example, I've used the bars alone to transport furniture/large screen tv just strapping down straight to the bars...I also go surfing in the summertime, and assume I'd have to remove the basket to strap my board or those other large items to my crossbars?

Also - how is mpg affected by having a basket on top?

If you have a roof basket - do you find you get a lot of use out of it in your day to day life? For example, not just expeditions like camping trips - but say, for groceries/goods/moving stuff around? Or does it sit up there empty most of the time?

I love the aesthetics and added storage of the baskets, just trying to figure out if it'll be worth it for something I only use a few times/year when camping or going on road trips. I'd probably keep it on and only take it off when I need the crossbars, but again - not sure how much of a pain that would be.

Last thing - I do keep my rear seats down a lot of the time to enlarge my trunk space - so I'm thinking having the roof rack I could keep the seats up and use that for extra cargo...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thinking of getting a basket to add to my roof rack...right now I just have crossbars with nothing on top.

Is it easy to take on/off the basket or is it time consuming?

My main hesitation is for strapping large/bulky items that won't fit in the basket. For example, I've used the bars alone to transport furniture/large screen tv just strapping down straight to the bars...I also go surfing in the summertime, and assume I'd have to remove the basket to strap my board or those other large items to my crossbars?

Also - how is mpg affected by having a basket on top?

If you have a roof basket - do you find you get a lot of use out of it in your day to day life? For example, not just expeditions like camping trips - but say, for groceries/goods/moving stuff around? Or does it sit up there empty most of the time?

I love the aesthetics and added storage of the baskets, just trying to figure out if it'll be worth it for something I only use a few times/year when camping or going on road trips. I'd probably keep it on and only take it off when I need the crossbars, but again - not sure how much of a pain that would be.

Last thing - I do keep my rear seats down a lot of the time to enlarge my trunk space - so I'm thinking having the roof rack I could keep the seats up and use that for extra cargo...
I'll say this, for me removing the basket from the crossbars wasn't feasible. Too much work.
I haven't yet but I'd rather throw down some $$ for a second set of crossbars. This way if I need the basket it's easier to take on and off.
The basket is loud, not to bad but loud. Gas mileage is compromised a little. I can get the front sky panel off but the rear is a no go.
As far as usage, I don't use it much. I have lights on mine and I just think it looks cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll say this, for me removing the basket from the crossbars wasn't feasible. Too much work.
I haven't yet but I'd rather throw down some $$ for a second set of crossbars. This way if I need the basket it's easier to take on and off.
The basket is loud, not to bad but loud. Gas mileage is compromised a little. I can get the front sky panel off but the rear is a no go.
As far as usage, I don't use it much. I have lights on mine and I just think it looks cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Awesome, thanks for sharing your experience. I think I'm leaning towards skipping it. Because it's not something I NEED, and beyond how cool it looks, it sounds like a bunch of drawbacks: noise (bad from some other people I've asked), hit on MPG - and now as you've said, it's a PITA to take off, which I know I'd have to do to use the crossbars for other large items.

I think they look cool but sounds like it may not be right for me.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Renegade
2 Posts
What is the difference between roof rails and roof racks:unsure::rolleyes:🚘?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
What is the difference between roof rails and roof racks:unsure::rolleyes:🚘?
First off, welcome to the forum. The rails are the starting point of attaching some kind of rack whether it is a kayak rack, basket, ski or bicycle, etc. You can attach some racks directly to the rails themselves but usually a set of crossbars are attached to the rails and then the rack attaches to the crossbars. All Renegade models come standard with the rails with the exception of the Sport model where the rails are an option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts