Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone thought about doing this? I'm making a trip up to alaska soon and the idea of having one sounds awesome. I have a 2015 4x4 manual latitude. I'm worried about the weight of the tent on the suspension and if it can handle it. ive been looking at the basic tepaui and CVT tents both weighing in from around 100-120. Any thoughts? Also included A pic of the renegade from one of my trips to shasta this year haha

Attachments

·
Registered
715 Posts
The roof rails hold up to 160-200lbs. I believe that's what I read, so long you don't want to bend or break them, I wouldn't go to high above the limit! ??

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've seen people do this in their Cherokees, but you'll need a much, much stronger roof rack. Several extra roof rails may do the trick, but I wouldn't be sure. On the XJ, you have the option to bypass the weak factory rack by use of the gutter rails, and even then it's not ideal. On the Renny, the roof rails do seem a bit stronger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I?ve done it. It does exceed the 150lb weight but as long as you keep it below 70 on the hwy it seems to do fine. Get some strong rails that avoid the my sky and one of the smaller roof nest should fit nicely. I love mine. Hit a trail pull over take a break .

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Trailhawk
170 Posts
I?ve done it. It does exceed the 150lb weight but as long as you keep it below 70 on the hwy it seems to do fine. Get some strong rails that avoid the my sky and one of the smaller roof nest should fit nicely. I love mine. Hit a trail pull over take a break .
Which tent and size did you get?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
That's so cool.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Hi. Aren't you worried about the 400-500 pound load with the tent plus two people plus a backpack or two when you're actually sleeping in it? How's it holding up?
That's my concern. Not that it couldn't be overcome by direct mounting it to where the rails mount. There are a few products out there doing that and they are rated 450lbs capacity. But none of the tents seem to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts