Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me start by saying this is in no way intended to "bash" Rocky Road Outfitters. I am more than pleased with everything I purchased from them. Contrary to some really negative reviews they got, the quality of the parts were TOP NOTCH. Quality welds, powdercoating, etc. Customer service, safe packaging and shipping speed were all superb. Fitment was a 10/10 on the Front Bumper/Winch Mount and the Rock Super Sliders, but not so much on the PreRunner Skid Plate. Overall, no complaints, I would still buy from them again and recommend them to anyone. Was a quick and simple fix, detailed below.

Front Bumper / Winch Mount:
I wont get into this too much, pretty sure I saw a thread on this already. Fairly easy install.

1. Remove the 2 bolts securing each of the 2 front tow hooks(4 total). 18mm and a impact and they were off like butter.

2. Drop the tow hooks down, not alot of room but do the best you can.

3. With help, slide the Bumper/Winch Mount into place, we did one side first which made it easier. I wish I had sanded a bit of the powdercoating off near the 4 mounting holes b/c i feel this would have really helped. As i said before, its a tight fit. Trimming a bit of plastic around the tow hook opening will also help but is not necessary.

4. After you have it initially seated you can use a hammer and block of wood to beat it into place so all the bolt holes line up. As you do this the tow hooks will want to slide back, make sure to anchor them somehow. (We used my wife's car for one side and a tree for the other).

5. Use the impact and lock 'em down. You're done!

PreRunner Skid Plate:

Now, after that install, I was ready for this much easier 4 bolt job. The skid plate has 2 holes for mounting to the bottom of the Front Bumper/Winch Mount and 2 holes that line up with and mount to the existing factory front skidplate. When we first installed it, we loosely mounted it to the top holes first. There are 2 sets so we tried them both, but we started with the back set (the set closest to the vehicle). Now we went to put the included extended bolts through our new skid plate and into the factory front skidplate. But wait, they did not line up. We tried both sets of top mounting holes again, making sure to leave the bolts and nuts loose enough to allow for some play and still could not get the bottom 2 to line up properly, they either wouldn't thread at all or would go in at an angle (not good! the first rock you hit it would snap the bolts!).

So, we started over, we removed the plate and mounted the 2 bottom extended bolts first. They went in perfect and lined up nice, we left them just a little loose to allow movement (the holes in the bottom of the new prerunner plate are elongated to allow a slight front to back movement). With the 2 bottom bolts in correctly, we move the skid plate as far back as it would allow and check the top mounting holes. Still no where near the back hole. So we moved the skid plate as far forward as it would allow and checked the top mounting holes. Still no where near the front hole.

In the end, I had 2 drill 2 new holes, almost exactly between the ones on it. This may have been a fluke, a new or inexperienced tech who assembled, but ultimately, no big deal. New holes worked, and skid plate is on 100% perfect, has even hit a few rocky ledges with no problems!

Pics below: Questions, just let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Let me start by saying this is in no way intended to "bash" Rocky Road Outfitters. I am more than pleased with everything I purchased from them. Contrary to some really negative reviews they got, the quality of the parts were TOP NOTCH. Quality welds, powdercoating, etc. Customer service, safe packaging and shipping speed were all superb. Fitment was a 10/10 on the Front Bumper/Winch Mount and the Rock Super Sliders, but not so much on the PreRunner Skid Plate. Overall, no complaints, I would still buy from them again and recommend them to anyone. Was a quick and simple fix, detailed below.

Front Bumper / Winch Mount:
I wont get into this too much, pretty sure I saw a thread on this already. Fairly easy install.

1. Remove the 2 bolts securing each of the 2 front tow hooks(4 total). 18mm and a impact and they were off like butter.

2. Drop the tow hooks down, not alot of room but do the best you can.

3. With help, slide the Bumper/Winch Mount into place, we did one side first which made it easier. I wish I had sanded a bit of the powdercoating off near the 4 mounting holes b/c i feel this would have really helped. As i said before, its a tight fit. Trimming a bit of plastic around the tow hook opening will also help but is not necessary.

4. After you have it initially seated you can use a hammer and block of wood to beat it into place so all the bolt holes line up. As you do this the tow hooks will want to slide back, make sure to anchor them somehow. (We used my wife's car for one side and a tree for the other).

5. Use the impact and lock 'em down. You're done!

PreRunner Skid Plate:

Now, after that install, I was ready for this much easier 4 bolt job. The skid plate has 2 holes for mounting to the bottom of the Front Bumper/Winch Mount and 2 holes that line up with and mount to the existing factory front skidplate. When we first installed it, we loosely mounted it to the top holes first. There are 2 sets so we tried them both, but we started with the back set (the set closest to the vehicle). Now we went to put the included extended bolts through our new skid plate and into the factory front skidplate. But wait, they did not line up. We tried both sets of top mounting holes again, making sure to leave the bolts and nuts loose enough to allow for some play and still could not get the bottom 2 to line up properly, they either wouldn't thread at all or would go in at an angle (not good! the first rock you hit it would snap the bolts!).

So, we started over, we removed the plate and mounted the 2 bottom extended bolts first. They went in perfect and lined up nice, we left them just a little loose to allow movement (the holes in the bottom of the new prerunner plate are elongated to allow a slight front to back movement). With the 2 bottom bolts in correctly, we move the skid plate as far back as it would allow and check the top mounting holes. Still no where near the back hole. So we moved the skid plate as far forward as it would allow and checked the top mounting holes. Still no where near the front hole.

In the end, I had 2 drill 2 new holes, almost exactly between the ones on it. This may have been a fluke, a new or inexperienced tech who assembled, but ultimately, no big deal. New holes worked, and skid plate is on 100% perfect, has even hit a few rocky ledges with no problems!

Pics below: Questions, just let me know.
RRO is quality through and through. I'd make sure you let them know about this. I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Another tip:
Pre-Installing your power winch to the mount before your install will save you some time and aggravation , it's a really tight fit to squeeze in afterwards!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ya, I actually have a portable winch I'm using, so no winch on that sucker. But I did read that in the instructions... if I decide to add a winch later might have to reinstall front winch mount, no big deal.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Insructions ? They didn't have any instructions ready when I receive my mount . It would of been nice .
Also, my skid plate didn't line up to my winch mount , I had to drill the 2 holes just like you did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.