Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my Jeep since July 2015. I was just randomly looking at my trunk door putting my new tag sticker when I saw rust. There is a lot of little spots of rust all over the door. Had this happened to anyone else? It's not anywhere else just the trunk door. I know I need to wash it. I live in Cincinnati,Ohio...it pretty much didn't snow here really and was a mild winter.

· Registered
1,186 Posts
Well, I can say the back end has the worst of environmental exposure due to acidic catalytic emissions. And it will show iron particle oxidation faster that anywhere else. But where'd the iron come from? I hope/doubt its from metal underneath. I'd say rail dust but...

I'd have the dealer's body shop fix that asap. It's not designed to do that. Ergo...defect. Good luck.

· Registered
22 Posts
I found the same spots on the rear of my Trailhawk. I remember having done some grinding and metal cutting behind my TH. Some of the sparks did hit the back of the vehicle. This may have caused my issue. Have you done the same?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm! Now you have me wondering if the sparks were really the issue. The spots I have did occur on the same side that I was using the grinder. I tried rubbing them out with little effect.
Yeah I tried rubbing them off also. That's why the bit of dirt is smeared in the pictures. I leave for vacation Sunday, and the dealership doesn't work on cars on the weekend anyway. So I'm going to see about taking it in when I get back from vacation. I've already been to the dealership 2 times over break and transmission issues. Not really looking forward to going back again now with this paint issue/rust and still my transmission problem. :|

· Registered
22 Posts
Well, I wish you a happy and probably much deserved vacation. I will also be leaving on vacation soon.
I have had my TH for exactly one year now and I was very impressed with how it handled at highway speeds. It actually recorded 30 to 33 MPG highway. That made me smile. I love driving it.
Don't let the spots concern you now. Just enjoy your time away.

· Registered
520 Posts
yes its iron deposits embedded in the clear coat from original shipping. Very hard to remove without Iron X or some other similar product. Should be covered by warranty. All cars have them but it shows up on the white vehicles.

· Registered
17 Posts
Well that certainly looks like an interesting development. I'm sorry to hear about that. The environmental rust protection thing has always been my friend. I usually never go for warranties, but rust protection, interior guard, and undercoating stuff I'm all for - especially in update NY. Please let us know how this develops. Wish you well!

· Registered
17 Posts
I'm also in upstate NY (Western NY, Buffalo area). Yea! the winters are tough on vehicles here. But that aside it's Friday night shouldn't we be out partying? It's a beautiful night!
True and tempting. We're busy touring the area and showing off the wife's Renegade to family. :p Shows where our tastes are. Actually, mother-in-law owns an HRV & sister-in-law owns a Trax. Runs in the family!

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
It's most likely particulate matter embedded in the clear coat oxidizing. I know that on one of my previous cars, there was lots complaining of such. It left black spots that were a lot like brake dust, and like brake dust they'd get this reddish brown over time. It was due to the trip by rail and is pretty common on certain routes. Which is why everything gets the big top surfaces covered in plastic, and the expensive brands ship with giant car cozies.

At least back when, clay bricking the car worked most of the time.

· Registered
184 Posts
I've had those so called rust spots on previous cars, and the Renegade. I'm not sure I'd call it rust b/c it also appears on plastics; on the Renegade, the spoiler. It takes quite a bit of rubbing to get them off. White is the best color for noticing the spots.

· Registered
1,186 Posts
My white Rene is pristine back there. Built 6/2015 but sat on the lot till 4/2016, it may be that it hasn't been subject to the acidic exhaust oxidizing the particles. I'm giving it the summer and see what shows.

Have some good vacations everyone!:ReneBlueWave:

· Registered
26 Posts
Yeah I tried rubbing them off also. That's why the bit of dirt is smeared in the pictures. I leave for vacation Sunday, and the dealership doesn't work on cars on the weekend anyway. So I'm going to see about taking it in when I get back from vacation. I've already been to the dealership 2 times over break and transmission issues. Not really looking forward to going back again now with this paint issue/rust and still my transmission problem. :|
What transmission issues are you experiencing? Do you have an automatic or 6 speed?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

· Registered
18 Posts
Most cars have this issue. I'm a collision repair technician for a dealer. In my experience that rust comes from the way they are delivered. I actually just serviced a Nissan Gtr for this issue right off the truck. Best thing to do is get a clay bar and water. It'll come right off with no issue.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

· Registered
17 Posts
Did a little digging on the issue due to curiosity. It likely has to do with transported vehicles behind Diesel trucks.

The impurities burned that come out of the stack as black smoke include other bits, not unlike a coal-burning steam engine with all the soot. That junk gets on the cars and over time degrades, creating the rusty junk all over the paint.

My edumacated guess? That spotless white Jeep was transported on an open-trailer 18-wheeler, facing backwards. The stuff was likely collected in transport.
;)

· Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I used to work for a bus company and you should have seen the rear ends on them, especially the smaller ones. The cleaners used to complain that they couldn't get backs of the buses clean. You will see vans as well with grubby rear ends. All the [email protected] that comes out the exhaust of the diesel engines, has to go somewhere. I don't care how compliant diesel engines are, they still put [email protected] out.

· Registered
19 Posts
I just noticed the same spots the other day on mine. (My renegade is white) I was able to sort of "rub/scrape" them off. I thought it was something that came from a tree or something I parked by. I'm not terrible concerned about it...as long as it doesn't get worse:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts