Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I stopped by the Arlington Holt Jeep dealership while they were closed (to avoid sales people) and checked out a Renegade I had spotted a few days ago. There wasn't a window sticker and it was kinda tucked away but it's a black Latitude. I was actually kinda surprised that it was a bit smaller in person than I was expecting.

Anyway while checking out the wheels I noticed something weird on the brake rotors (I think that's what they are)..
I don't really know much about mechanical parts so hopefully someone who knows more can correct me, I've just never seen this before.

Is it... rust? Maybe it's just really gross rain water? It did rain the night before and it's been misting all day, but I didn't notice water of that color anywhere else near the vehicle. Surely it's not supposed to be like that.

This is the only Renegade I've seen in person, has anyone else has noticed this?

Thoughts?

Attachments

· Registered
1,207 Posts
No worries, that is normal for raw steel and cast iron, what brake rotors are made of. The Renegades have been sitting it transit for a month so they will rust. Once it is driven less than a week the rust will be gone from the brake pads.

Reactions: The_Warlin

· Registered
1,633 Posts
As just stated, rotors will rust quickly since they are cast iron. All you need to do is thoroughly wash your car & wheels. By the time you're done drying and waxing it, the rotors will start with a thin film of rust.

The rust is scraped off after you drive a few feet. Perfectly normal.

Now you might be wondering why they don't make rotors out of stainless steel. Besides the cost of stainless steel, cast iron makes a much better braking surface. An exception is on motorcycle brake rotors which are a certain grade of stainless steel for a better appearance. But a motorcycle is not 3,000+ pounds and doesn't need the superior braking surface or heat dissipation quality that cast iron provides.

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
So today I stopped by the Arlington Holt Jeep dealership while they were closed (to avoid sales people) and checked out a Renegade I had spotted a few days ago. There wasn't a window sticker and it was kinda tucked away but it's a black Latitude. I was actually kinda surprised that it was a bit smaller in person than I was expecting.

Anyway while checking out the wheels I noticed something weird on the brake rotors (I think that's what they are)..
I don't really know much about mechanical parts so hopefully someone who knows more can correct me, I've just never seen this before.

Is it... rust? Maybe it's just really gross rain water? It did rain the night before and it's been misting all day, but I didn't notice water of that color anywhere else near the vehicle. Surely it's not supposed to be like that.

This is the only Renegade I've seen in person, has anyone else has noticed this?

Thoughts?
That's pretty much every brake rotor ever. The exception being plated rotors which don't do that until you wear through the plating (not very long), and carbon ceramic rotors, but those cost thousands of dollars.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!
Man. Threads like this make me so happy to be on this forum because I'm only 21 and even when I think I know a good amount about cars, it turns out I know nothing. You guys are so knowledgable.
Haha me too! I just turned 21 but I pay more attention to styling and pretty much everything else other than mechanical stuff. Never been particularly interested in that stuff.

· Registered
2 Posts

Thoughts?
Normal on any car not driven for a few days

· Registered
610 Posts
As others have said... perfectly normal. Drive it and the surface rust will wear off. There are several brands of aftermarket brake rotors that offer a coating aimed to keep surface rust from forming, but it's really a solution to an artificial problem since the coating would just wear off from use.

Before the rust wears off completely, you'll feel slight vibration/rattling in the pedal as you brake. That too is normal until the surface of the rotor is ground smooth again through friction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.