Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Renegade arrived at my dealer in February 2016 and they stored it on top of a pedestal up in the air off the ground, nobody drove it until I picked it up in June. However, I noticed that I have some parts rusting under my Renegade. I have not driven it through winter yet (I haven't even driven it through any mud or even a puddle yet) and I have about 780 miles on my Renegade. Before the roads get salted and the ice and slush comes in the winter, I have planned to take some preventative measures. I am going to sand these parts and then use a "stops rust" paint, and then have the underside of my Renegade undercoated on top of that. Below is the 1st part that I have done, And I only did one side so far, but it came out pretty good.

This side is still rusted, going to get this one done next:

After sanding and painting the passenger side rear axle end:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, when I got mine it hadn't been off the truck long. They got a patina of rust almost instantly.
Yeah, even the arms of the axels are starting to rust through the black paint. I want my rusty fiat jeep to last longer than normal, so I'm going to go through the underside and sand/paint everything that is starting to rust. What are some things that were rusty on yours?

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Something like a smattering of surface rust on a driveshaft I don't think the dealer will do anything about. However if the rust was somewhere structural or coming through the paint, then I guess you would have a case.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Why have you not gone to the dealer on this????
Because it is every single one that will do it, and not that out of line with other brands/the market in general.

It's not really behaving much different then my friend's forester purchased around the same time as mine. I really don't think it is an issue to be concerned about other than cosmetically.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Why have you not gone to the dealer on this????
Something like a smattering of surface rust on a driveshaft I don't think the dealer will do anything about. However if the rust was somewhere structural or coming through the paint, then I guess you would have a case.
Because it is every single one that will do it, and not that out of line with other brands/the market in general.

It's not really behaving much different then my friend's forester purchased around the same time as mine. I really don't think it is an issue to be concerned about other than cosmetically.
The dealer I bought it from will not do anything about it, this is something I would have to take up with Jeep since all Renegades are going to have these lightly rusty parts. Jeep might maybe send me new parts if I threw a big stink but those parts would also rust after a while. Also, these Axle ends are bare steel, so they are going to rust unless coated. But there are other things under the vehicle that are starting to show minor rust, so my idea is to sand these items down, and paint them with something protective to seal the metal, and then get a real professional undercoating sprayed on that will protect the underside of my Jeep for a long time. I have a local guy in NC who has a clear undercoating that dries hard and clear so that if rust happens to form underneath it, you will be able to see it and fix it before it's too late. I will feel much better taking my jeep through water, muddy trails and salty roads with the underside fully protected. These Jeeps were built in Italy, and we all know that Fiats rust out, and this Jeep is half Fiat - so I am taking extra precautions than I normally would.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, nothing structural it seems, thank goodness.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While I agree this kind of surface rust is normal, and not to worry about on components like those half axles, I gotta say the paint job looks great!

Hope it lasts for you.
Thank you sir, I will post pictures tomorrow with both axle ends complete, so that everyone can see the complete job. And then I will find other rusty things to sand and paint under my renegade.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thank you sir, I will post pictures tomorrow with both axle ends complete, so that everyone can see the complete job. And then I will find other rusty things to sand and paint under my renegade.
Yeah, get it done now while that baby still sleeps a lot. :laugh:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While I agree this kind of surface rust is normal, and not to worry about on components like those half axles, I gotta say the paint job looks great!

Hope it lasts for you.
Yeah, get it done now while that baby still sleeps a lot. :laugh:
I do actually paint it at night while the baby is sleeping, LOL. here are some photos of after sanding, masking and the finished product, along with a photo of some more rusty bits that I am going to fix before the heavy clear undercoat goes on...

Here are some rusty bits that need to be addressed behind the wheels...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.