Transport Canada Recall # 2015433
Recall Date 2015/09/28
Notification Type Safety Mfr
System Suspension
Manufacturer Recall Number R55
Units Affected The number of vehicles or components affected by the recall. 107
Category SUV
Recall Details
On certain vehicles, the bracket fastener for the engine block heater may be too long and could contact the front suspension coil spring, causing wear of the protective coating. If left uncorrected, the front suspension coil spring may corrode over time and fail. Should the front coil spring break, the driver could experience a loss of steering control, and a broken coil spring could contact the tire and cause rapid air loss and/or tire failure, which could affect bringing the vehicle to a controlled stop, increasing the risk of a crash causing injury and/or property damage. Correction: Dealers will replace the fastener for the engine block heater bracket and apply corrosion protection to the coil spring.

·
Registered
356 Posts
"the driver could experience a loss of steering control" We will get round to it some time?
Pathetic.
Well, it's a problem that would take some time to develop (if at all). I mean, corrosion on the spring? Ever look at how rusty the springs are on some older vehicles?

Personally, I look at these recalls as evidence that the manufacturer is actively looking for problems, and attempting to fix them. In other words, it's a good thing!

But yeah, no parts available kinda sucks...

·
Registered
356 Posts
On a different tack--I just picked up my 2016 Renegade with 1.4T and 6M--I wonder if I might have any issue. Haven't had a chance to look over the Jeep yet, never mind locate the block heater! I did ask at the dealer; the salesperson didn't know, and all the techs had left. But I suspect, from reading this, that at least some component may be located on the inside of the front fender somewhere...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.