Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with modern safety features such as collision avoidance, rear-view cams, blind spot detection, etc?

Any thoughts on these features for the Renegade? Helpful or annoying?
And can they be disengaged?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a lane departure warning system on my current car, a Saab 9-5. I turned the system off a few days after I got the car and the system has been off more or less ever since. Where I drive, i.e. on country roads that are a bit narrow and winding, the system kept making warning sounds all the time because my drive style is a bit active. And so the system became annoying and was sooned turned off. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Blind spot detection is most useful. Rear view camera is also useful...BUT it must be used in conjunction with mirrors. Because the lens in the camera (at least the ones I know about) is very wide angle, objects are MUCH CLOSER than they appear. So even if the camera has distance aids and backup aids, the mirrors remain essential.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Anyone have experience with modern safety features such as collision avoidance, rear-view cams, blind spot detection, etc?

Any thoughts on these features for the Renegade? Helpful or annoying?
And can they be disengaged?
Please do a search of the forum threads, this subject, it's pros and cons, has been discussed many times already. You may then want to add your question to those threads.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Rearview camera is great to have and it's not annoying since you don't HAVE to look at it. Blind spot monitoring is also non-irritating since it usually consists of lights in the A-pillars or mirrors.
Lane departure and collision warning are really annoying and imo they're pointless since most people will turn them off or become immune to their beeping.
However the Renegade has lane keep assist (steers you back into the lane) and collision mitigation (slams on the brakes to avoid a crash), both of which are great. They're much less annoying since they take action rather than just beep constantly. I've had the occasional annoyance, but when it saves your behind it's definitely worth it.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I feel that even though these systems are designed to help in unusual and infrequent circumstances, any technology that allows drivers to be even more complacent will ultimately end up producing worse and more dangerous drivers.

For example, I used to be able to remember a ton of phone numbers. Now that I have a smart phone, I remember my number, my wife's number and my home phone (maybe a few more). I don't have to remember them, so I won't.

I think these systems would drive me crazy depending on their sensitivity and tendency to override my own safety systems (my eyes, ears, and brain).

·
Registered
194 Posts
I feel that even though these systems are designed to help in unusual and infrequent circumstances, any technology that allows drivers to be even more complacent will ultimately end up producing worse and more dangerous drivers.
Agreed. Automated cockpits are suspect in several aviation accident investigations with highly-trained flight-crews. Imagine how distracting and/or complacent this will be to the average lazy driver.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I feel that even though these systems are designed to help in unusual and infrequent circumstances, any technology that allows drivers to be even more complacent will ultimately end up producing worse and more dangerous drivers. . . .

Absolutely right. Drivers that pay attention to their driving don't need such aids. But car makers put these aides in because they can. The technology is available and car makers can utilize it to help sell more cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Was looking for info on Renegade safety features and tests and found this test done by EURONCAP .. watch the video for all the various tests / impact / crash tests done on the Renegade. They also have a rating system for the Renegade so you can see that the Renegade gets 87 / 85 / 65 / 74 with 5 stars overall rating.

Similar cars get:
JUKE 87 / 81 / 41 / 71 with 5 stars
Subaru XV (Crosstek) 86 / 90 / 64 /86 with 5 starts etc...

http://www.sicurauto.it/crash-test/euroncap/jeep-renegade-2014-crash-test.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Blind spot monitoring is more of convenience than necessity. That's why your suppose to do a head check before changing lanes.
Does anyone know if (in general) the blind spot monitoring and collision mitigation/warning is able to sense motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
. . . Does anyone know if (in general) the blind spot monitoring and collision mitigation/warning is able to sense motorcycles.
Good point. That is a subject that hits home with me since I ride my motorcycle to work most days when it above 40 degrees F (4*C).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Personally, I'm not really a fan of the blind spot detection feature or rear view cameras option. I'd rather order a car without it or disable it once I have the car. When that car has too much going on it just leads to more problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Mazda 6 has rear back up camera, blind spot monitoring and cross path detection.

To me the cross path detection is a great feature. Everyone knows it's a total crap shoot when backing out of a parking space at a mall or other venue. No matter how much you turn your head or slowly creep out backwards you're basically just not able to really tell if another vehicle is coming. With cross path putting the car in reverse will trigger a beeping sound if a car is approaching even from 50-100 feet away. Back up camera is ok but sometimes it's hard to judge how close you are to something behind you. Blind spot monitoring can be helpful, but often goes off when a car is turning along with you in separate lanes (two left turn lanes) thinking that you are changing lanes when you're not. Still these feature are well worth the money.

Forward collision strikes me as simply expecting the driver not to do his job. I believe that will see more of this. Still if it's in front of me it's my job to avoid a collision

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.