Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
128 Posts
Yeah, that's it as I understand it. Supposedly the FCA security module is there so that the OBD system can't be hacked into, maybe wirelessly. I'm sure it's a fortunate byproduct for dealers that it's that much more difficult for owners to use their own scan tool.
You’re right. While in a Wrangler forum, someone shared this interesting article of exactly why FCA has installed these security devices...

I thought this kind of stuff happened in movies!

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
128 Posts
So here’s where the FCA security device is on a Wrangler...

This also explains the “Tazer” programmer (recalibrate you speedo, change TPMS threshold, etc). Not sure if it’s in the same location in the Renegade and I’m not sure if the Tazer works for Renegades, but a pretty neat device nonetheless!

·
Registered
59 Posts
someone shared this interesting article of exactly why FCA has installed these security devices...
I scanned the article -- and while I didn't understand a lot of it, it was very interesting. I think I heard about that hacking research back then.

Not completely clear that the new security devices are related to this research, but I wouldn't be surprised... But this particular experiment was apparently done while physically plugged into the OBD system, and not wirelessly.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts