Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that the paint seems to scratch fairly easily? I was waxing my TH yesterday, and on the front fenders, where the start to flare out to the wheel wells, Ive got a few rock chips on both sides. On the hood I have a good size scratch on the part where it starts to turn up. Is there a good treatment, or my own wax I can use that could assist in protecting more than what he Jeep came with? Im about to get some paint pens, but at this rate (currently at 3350 miles) I feel that its gonna keep getting more and more scratches. And I dont tail dump trucks or anything, and I have not been off road behind anyone..:crying:

·
Super Moderator
3,641 Posts
I'm coming from a Subaru. The paint on the jeep seems bulletproof by comparison. I have one very minor scratch where someone bumped into it. I suspect with a shopping cart given the location. Didn't even make it through the paint.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have found 4 paint pens on eBay for sale. I was gonna buy them and sell 2, but at this rate I may need to keep them all ?

I know there's that clear vinyl sticker stuff that is made for the Rene, but for over 300$ maybe some sort of coating could be had for that amount of $?

Also there's a slight spot (maybe 3"x5") on the drivers rear blind spot panel, looks like someone leaned on it. Like there's oil on it, but doesn't come out with a good wash, wax. Maybe buffing can help?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have found 4 paint pens on eBay for sale. I was gonna buy them and sell 2, but at this rate I may need to keep them all ?

I know there's that clear vinyl sticker stuff that is made for the Rene, but for over 300$ maybe some sort of coating could be had for that amount of $?

Also there's a slight spot (maybe 3"x5") on the drivers rear blind spot panel, looks like someone leaned on it. Like there's oil on it, but doesn't come out with a good wash, wax. Maybe buffing can help?
I would say the paint toughness is about normal compared to other vehicles. I recently applied a paint sealant which I couldn't recommend more. I am not sure about scratch resistance but bird droppings wipe right off.

I also have a paint stick but had to get it custom made for the Glacier Metallic.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I would say the paint toughness is about normal compared to other vehicles. I recently applied a paint sealant which I couldn't recommend more. I am not sure about scratch resistance but bird droppings wipe right off.

I also have a paint stick but had to get it custom made for the Glacier Metallic.
Mine has a ceramic coating, so it cant be scratched;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hate different scratches and dents I get in parking lots. They are always annoying me a lot. I've recently decided to re-paint the whole car and apply a coating to it. I also use the magnetic protection for doors from http://dentgoalie.com when I park my car to be sure that it will not be scratched once more. It helps a lot with really

·
Registered
211 Posts
Has anyone noticed that the paint seems to scratch fairly easily? I was waxing my TH yesterday, and on the front fenders, where the start to flare out to the wheel wells, Ive got a few rock chips on both sides. On the hood I have a good size scratch on the part where it starts to turn up. Is there a good treatment, or my own wax I can use that could assist in protecting more than what he Jeep came with? Im about to get some paint pens, but at this rate (currently at 3350 miles) I feel that its gonna keep getting more and more scratches. And I dont tail dump trucks or anything, and I have not been off road behind anyone..:crying:
That's just modern car paint in general bud.

·
Registered
580 Posts
That's just modern car paint in general bud.
Modern car paint is much harder and more durable than the old single stage paints ever were. Modern paint is also much easier to maintain. The main problem with old single stage paints was oxidation, causing dulling of the paint and requiring frequent cleaning, buffing, waxing and more buffing. On modern clear coated paints the clear coat can begin to show scratched and even fail if completely unmaintained. In direct comparison of durability, old single stage finishes are no match for modern car paint. One advantage single stage paint may have had over modern car finishes is thicker paint.

I very well remember my grandfather's BMW 502, which had a lacquer-like midnight bluefish, extremely thick and glossy, which needed constant cleaning and buffing. He kept the car into the mid 1980s and I remember him constantly walking around the car with a soft cloth, wiping and buffing here and there.

I have been washing my 1996 Audi every two weeks since the car was new. I have cleaned the finish every year once thoroughly, followed by the palliation of a polymer sealant. It still looks great after al those years. Only a modern clear coated finish makes that possible with so little effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.