Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally have something worth posting under this topic. I am currently on a road trip and im in Monument Valley. I will say first that through the 15 hours of highway driving from Dallas to the Grand Canyon to Monument Valley have been flawless. The TR has handled the road like a champ.

Now, back to today's event. Im here for photography. I learned of a place that sounded cool, but was told I would need a local Navajo guide to get there. Great, I found one. His name is Ron and he's awesome. He says, "Sure i can get you were you want to go! Just pick me up at my house". He gives me the directions, which isn't far from my hotel. First challenge, Ron lives in a small cluster of homes, far off the highway. In fact, it's an 1/4 mile uphill sandy trail. I get on the gas to keep my momentum up. I left the transmission in auto, but about halfway up the hill i felt the rear wheels kick in. I made it up to his house. He came out and admired my orange TR, asked a few questions about it. But, in retrospect, he never said anything about what we were about to attempt.

We drove about 5 miles down the highway and he instructs me to turn off onto a gravel road. I think, oh this will be a nice country drive. Suddenly, the road disappears and what we're now on is a dry river bed which winds and ascends up the side of a butte! This was CLEARLY a trail used by larger 4x4 trucks and most likely people with Wranglers. All i could think was, well im in this now. Lets see what she can do!

This narrow dry river bed consisted of packed dirt, very loose and deep sand and deep pea gravel. I've never off roaded in a car/Jeep/truck... only on an ATV. I just new to pick my lines carefully and keep my momentum going. The Renegade hit some deep sand banks which i thought we're done. But, peddle to the floor, all wheels churning, she kept moving and pulled us through to the next challenge. Pea gravel followed immediately by a 1 foot dirt/sand wall? No problem. Hit the gas i felt the wheels grabbing traction and pulling me through. By this point i was starting to gain confidence and not have such a death grip on the wheel. I was really amazed we were still going! The final section was an uphill climb with several "whoops". I heard a skid plate drag a few times but it clawed and climbed over each of them.

We parked and got out and proceeded to our destination to shoot. This was almost a 2 mile trail I had just defeated. The ride back was more fun than anything. I knew the TR could tackle everything and get us home.

We dropped our guide off at his house and he said he was really impressed with the little Jeep. He said of all the tours his ridden along on, the Renegade did as well or better than most others.

Moral of this story... Jeep PR aside, this vehicle really is capable. While we didn't go through mud, it can get you out of some pretty deep sand and pebbles, while climbing up a gradual hill. I feel a bit invincible now. haha

:ReneBlueWave:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, that was a great adventure!
Monument Valley is on my bucket list. My son & I tried to visit earlier this year but we couldn't get over the Rockies due to the late and seemingly everlasting snowfall. It was so wet that I almost got us stuck in the middle of Nowhere, CO on a sandy dirt road while he was filming a wig-wag railroad crossing. That was when I realized I needed something 4WD in my life. Came home and "discovered" the Renegade.
Your tale makes me happy and feeling like I did the smart thing. Here's to many more adventures!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. It really did feel like an adventure. And has given me a lot of confidence in the Trailhawk for the future. It was definitely an unexpected side adventure. haha
Here's a quick photo i took at one of our stops on the way back. This was a mile drive up what best could be described as a cattle trail.
Not so much sand on this one. But a number of rain rutted, rocky ledges. I had to go slow and climb them carefully. The Renegade didn't even hiccup. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Thanks everyone. It really did feel like an adventure. And has given me a lot of confidence in the Trailhawk for the future. It was definitely an unexpected side adventure. haha
Here's a quick photo i took at one of our stops on the way back. This was a mile drive up what best could be described as a cattle trail.
Not so much sand on this one. But a number of rain rutted, rocky ledges. I had to go slow and climb them carefully. The Renegade didn't even hiccup. :)

Stunning. I love the colour matched dirt streaks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is a Beautiful photo and I am so happy to hear how well the TH did. Still waiting on mine and excited to do the same stuff. Photography I love!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.