Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone hope this is something that I can fix myself this weekend. The SERV 4WDS light is on. And nothing else like the check engine light is on with it. Just one other thing that didnt see anyone has posted to go with the 4x4 going out. For some strange reason the coolant reservoir has a now green color and a skin like substance inside. Im at a total loss if the two are related or just a fun fun repair I'm getting into. I clean my jeep all the time and check fluids this coolant thing just happen as well. I have been seeing that I should go and get the computer program updated first and then if he problem continues to then start checking parts. So what's the first thing I need to do to get this fix fixed???? 2015 limited just rolled over 137k hours before the SERV 4WD lift came on. Thank everyone you have fixed her in the past.

·
Super Moderator
4,901 Posts
Have you change the coolant out yet? it is 7 years old? Our TH the coolant is changed at 6 years or 60K. When was the last time you have had a update done to your little Jeep?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
2015 limited just rolled over 137k hours
Do you mean 137K miles?

Have you change the coolant out yet? it is 7 years old? Our TH the coolant is changed at 6 years or 60K.
My 2021 Owner's Manual shows:
Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Number

Personally, even with a "lifetime" coolant like, say, VW uses, I'd flush and replace every 100,000 mi or so.

But in any case, yeah, 137,000 miles would be getting up there.

But old coolant, while having reduced corrosion protection, would still look the same. What concerns me is this:

the coolant reservoir has a now green color and a skin like substance inside.
Has any work been done recently (or ever) to the cooling system? Like even topping-off? Maybe by a previous owner?

The coolant is supposed to be an electric pink or purplish -- what's referred to as an Si-OAT coolant, common in European engines.

You have to very careful not to mix it with different types of coolant, particularly ones that aren't pink -- the old green Prestone stuff was the poster child of this issue. It would react with the pink coolant, turning it brown (not green) and making it sludgy.

Kind of sounds to me like that's what may have happened...?

The solution is to immediately do a really good flush and refill.

Beyond that, I doubt the coolant has anything to do with the 4WD issue...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to do a coolant flush and it was never done just topped off. I'm the only owner. Jeep said orange was the coolant color I didn't buy anything yet still working on the 4x4 issue

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I'm going to do a coolant flush and it was never done just topped off. I'm the only owner.
Yeah, I'd probably do a coolant flush and replacement before I tackled the 4WD issue... At least you can still drive without 4WD; while the wrong coolant can cause serious engine issues.

Jeep said orange was the coolant color
OK, that worries me. Describing the correct coolant as just "orange" is... imprecise to say the least.

I've been doing research since I got my 2021 Trailhawk regarding which, if any, aftermarket coolants can be used. (I do understand yours is a 2015 Renegade with a different engine). It's extremely hard to find good info.

There is a rainbow of coolant colors, (green, orange, yellow, turquoise, pink, blue, purple...)

But describing a coolant by its subjective color is really risky.

Here's a coolant (on the left) that an independent shop recently used in my 2009 VW GLI, as compared to the coolant that VW specifies on the right:
Liquid Drinkware Fluid Solution Chemical compound

Would you describe that as yellow? Brown? Or gold (as the shop did)? In any case, I had the shop drain and flush it again, and refill with the correct VW coolant.

Your Renegade Owner's Manual (do you have that?) will tell you exactly which specification to use for your engine. Mine says the Mopar specification is MS.90032, and that it's an OAT (Organic Acid Technology) coolant. Not more specific; so I'm not sure whether it's an Si-OAT coolant.

I just drew up some coolant from my Trailhawk:
Liquid Fluid Ingredient Food storage containers Tints and shades

I was incorrect -- it's not electric pink or purplish like my VW's. I'm not sure what I'd call that color. Reddish? Maybe a bit. Orange? Maybe, if compared to my VW's.

In any case, just to make sure in case I ever need to top off my coolant, I bought a bottle of MS.90032 from the Jeep dealer to keep in the garage:
Motor vehicle Font Gas Electric blue Auto part

So who did your top-off? If you did it, exactly what did you use?

If your coolant is now a green color with a change in consistency, that's really worrying...

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Here's a bit more regarding why I'm concerned.

I'm much more familiar with VW coolants, having owned several VWs since 1997.

Prior to about 1997, VW factor-filled their engines with a coolant called G11. I'm no chemist, but it was an IAT (Inorganic Additive Technology) coolant. The color was blue.

Around 1997, VW switched to a coolant called G12. It was an OAT (Organic Acid Technology) coolant -- different chemistry. Color was electric red.

It became very clear very quickly that G11 and G12 couldn't be mixed. The coolant in the engine would turn to a brown sludge.

Here was a graphic illustration by Dan J. Reed, an academic VW expert from that time:
Food Staple food Coconut Ingredient Plant

That's a photo of a cut-open Volkswagen coolant expansion tank, after G11 and G12 had been mixed in the engine.

The same thing would apparently happen if you mixed like green Prestone coolant with VW coolants.

(Later VW coolants (G12+, G12++, G13, and now G12Evo) were designed to be backwards-compatible.)

So when you say your coolant has turned brown and is skinned-over, you can understand my concern... :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you mean 137K miles?

My 2021 Owner's Manual shows:
View attachment 2396355359

Personally, even with a "lifetime" coolant like, say, VW uses, I'd flush and replace every 100,000 mi or so.

But in any case, yeah, 137,000 miles would be getting up there.

But old coolant, while having reduced corrosion protection, would still look the same. What concerns me is this:

Has any work been done recently (or ever) to the cooling system? Like even topping-off? Maybe by a previous owner?

The coolant is supposed to be an electric pink or purplish -- what's referred to as an Si-OAT coolant, common in European engines.

You have to very careful not to mix it with different types of coolant, particularly ones that aren't pink -- the old green Prestone stuff was the poster child of this issue. It would react with the pink coolant, turning it brown (not green) and making it sludgy.

Kind of sounds to me like that's what may have happened...?

The solution is to immediately do a really good flush and refill.

Beyond that, I doubt the coolant has anything to do with the 4WD issue...
Glad to hear that. Which connection? No image attached...

Anything further on the coolant?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
OK, OK, now I see the connector (after your edit) ;) .

That's at the back axle?

I wonder how that came loose...? Connectors like that have pretty fail-safe latches, for obvious reasons. Did you have any recent work down under there?

So anything further on the coolant?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts