Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 40 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your dealer is not telling the truth. Per OBD2 standard, codes are stored regardless of the light being on or not. Every fault that is tripped are stored until cleared or reset. Some codes are not show when scanned with generic scanners.
I had a feeling.

Anyways I was on the phone with the actual mechanic/technician today. He said they checked the computer for stored codes and found none, and that they did a full visual inspection of every component of the 4WD system and saw nothing out of the ordinary. He also said that sometimes new cars throw an error once or twice as they are broken in. That sounded a bit suspicious to me, but since I've only seen the warning messages once, I figured I'd just wait and bring her back in when it happens again.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I had a feeling.

Anyways I was on the phone with the actual mechanic/technician today. He said they checked the computer for stored codes and found none, and that they did a full visual inspection of every component of the 4WD system and saw nothing out of the ordinary. He also said that sometimes new cars throw an error once or twice as they are broken in. That sounded a bit suspicious to me, but since I've only seen the warning messages once, I figured I'd just wait and bring her back in when it happens again.
It may be related to the problems that caused FCA to put a hold order on all Renegades. There is a thread on this in general discussion.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
. . . He also said that sometimes new cars throw an error once or twice as they are broken in. . .
He is blowing smoke up your a$$. A new car should not "throw an error" if everything is built correctly. Neither of the Dodges I bought new had any errors either when new or since (the 2009 had 50,000 miles when I traded it). And my Renegade hasn't either at 1,100 miles.

If the MIL comes on, there is something wrong and it is up to the dealer to fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My svc 4x4 came on In my TH at 1200 miles as well. I called the dealer and set my appointment for service (took them a week to get me in). After them having it 8 hours, the concluded the software needed to be updated it the TCM and ECM. My MIL was not on when I got to the dealer but my work order sheet shows I had EIGHT codes stored in the computer. To the poster that is saying that the computer doesn't store codes your dealer is lying to you. I have had my TH back for almost a week and haven't had any issues. I'm hoping they have gotten this software issue fixed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a Latitude 4x4 with 300 miles on it. No issues with lights or anything until I plugged in my phone with the usb connection. When I turned on the vehicle, the service 4x4 light came on and it said that the 4 wheel drive was not working correctly. I turned it off and back on, everything still not working right. The service engine light stayed on while I drove a bit and it would not let me put it into 4x4 mode. I unplugged the phone when I got home and turned off the vehicle. Turned it back on a few minutes later and all lights were gone and everything was working right.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a Latitude 4x4 with 300 miles on it. No issues with lights or anything until I plugged in my phone with the usb connection. When I turned on the vehicle, the service 4x4 light came on and it said that the 4 wheel drive was not working correctly. I turned it off and back on, everything still not working right. The service engine light stayed on while I drove a bit and it would not let me put it into 4x4 mode. I unplugged the phone when I got home and turned off the vehicle. Turned it back on a few minutes later and all lights were gone and everything was working right.
I'm just curious if others have had this happen when a device was connected via USB??? It could have just been a coincidence though.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
That's interesting. I have not yet tried to plug my phone into the USB port. And I think that I won't try to in the near future. My car has been perfect for its first 1,300 miles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is odd. I wonder if using the USB adapter from the 12 V port would do the same thing.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That is odd. I wonder if using the USB adapter from the 12 V port would do the same thing.
I started charging my phone using the cig lighter and car charger. I have been afraid to plug back into the usb. I need to try again and see if it was just a coincidence or not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I've been using the usb connection inside the center console since day 1 and only saw the svc 4WD light come on that one time

·
Registered
141 Posts
Since I did have the lights come on once, I think I should probably get it checked out. I would think it would store the code of what the issue was. Although I have had no issues since and I have put 400 miles on it since then. I guess I will plug back into the USB and see if anything goes haywire as well.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I did charge my phone using the 110 VAC outlet once without issue. I'm still reluctant to plug it into the USB port.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got my Rene in to be looked at today. It had several codes that had been triggered. They ultimately said that the negative battery cable was a little loose and it caused some haywire. Idk if this was the case. But I have not seen anything to think that there is a problem in driving around today. Only time will tell I guess. But I will say this, I absolutely love driving this thing. It is so much fun to drive!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Absolutely a loose battery cable can cause MIL codes. I'm glad they got it sorted out for you.

I'm going to check my battery cables (again) tonight when I get home (I used the motorbike for work today).

Reactions: LittleRedJeep

·
Registered
221 Posts
3300 miles and 2 months. 4 good off road trips with no issues. Yesterday when leaving work , I started the car and I get the service 4wd light. Can't use 4wd mode. Drove the car home in fwd and probably limp mode because there was a lack of power. When I got home I turned it off and on a couple of times and drive it around the block testing the modes. Its been fine now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That seems to be about the same that happened to me. It happened at under 200 miles. I have 1700 now and have had no other issues. I still have never plugged anything into the usb because I think that could be the issue. I guess I should just plug into it again and see if the lights come on again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a TrailHawk with 4000 miles on
it and when I started it last night the Service 4WD light came on and it also said 4WD unavailable. I drove it a short distance and light remained. I returned home and shut it off, then restarted it and the light was off. Restarted it again and dialed through the terrain selections, drove it up and down the driveway and it didn't come back on. I've had the 4WD low lock engaged and it worked fine. Hoping it doesn't come back on!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Have a TrailHawk with 4000 miles on
it and when I started it last night the Service 4WD light came on and it also said 4WD unavailable. I drove it a short distance and light remained. I returned home and shut it off, then restarted it and the light was off. Restarted it again and dialed through the terrain selections, drove it up and down the driveway and it didn't come back on. I've had the 4WD low lock engaged and it worked fine. Hoping it doesn't come back on!
My advice is don't hope, be proactive. The way OBD2 standard works is any time a fault is tripped, a code is stored. Even if the warning light turns off and does not return, there is still a stored record of the fault. Have a dealer tech scan the computer and find out exactly what the cause was. It may be a faulty connector like some have experienced. Take it in. Better to catch it early than to have it fail again in a worse way.

If the dealer says there are no codes stored and want avoid you taking up their time, they are not telling the truth. Stand firm and demand the service you deserve, or give your business to another dealer. Some dealers try to avoid warranty work whenever they can because they don't get reimbursed for their hours until they submit paperwork. They'd rather fill their service bays with paying customers who come in for 30 min lube job and charge them 1 full hour of labor (or worse).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Service 4WD light

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I got my renegade limited last week and around 212 miles on the odometer, the service 4WD light came on. I turned the engine off and back on and it went away. I didn't want to chance it and brought back it to the dealership this past Monday. Service dept called & told me my renegade needed a new 4WD module. Part was ordered, just waiting for them to contact me, when it's all fixed and working properly. I miss my renegade :|

21 - 40 of 130 Posts