Jeep Renegade Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Still Waiting for a Resolution...

The Rear Differential Assembly was replaced a few days after my last post, followed by the DTCM being replaced, but it could not be programed. After finding and repairing a broken Rear Differential Clutch Motor Hall Sensor wire, circuit T332, they were then successful in programing the module and declared the vehicle "fixed". We drove home, first startup the next morning, the “ESC” MIL and the “Service ESC System” displayed; back to the dealership. They found a stored fault for the cruise control module, got FCA involved again; now they have ordered another DTCM so they can "back date the software" because of a suspected new update conflict with the other DTCM they replaced. Great, is it me...now the module is on back order...still waiting? As of today I have logged 30 business days with the Renegade in their shop over three separate visits. During this time the vehicle has experienced the following CAN Bus Off fault codes: ABS U1001-88, BCM U0101-88, EPS U1001-88, along with a very long list of signal failure faults to the DTCM for just about every related sensor in the drivetrain system.

As stated, we are now waiting for the part to arrive…I’ll repost again after the repair.

*Anyone else get past this point with a successful outcome?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I hope I don't have the same problems as you my friend. The jeep was rescheduled to go in next Friday. :( the dealership is over booked and under staffed... and the guy with the new $40,000. Jeep suffers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Get very involved!

Under my circumstance, the “SERV 4WD” MIL and “SERV 4WD, 4WD Unavailable” randomly displayed and went off after a single key cycle; as described by so many others in multiple forums including the NHTSA's web site, listed under complaints.
Trust me, this indicator display is not something to be ignored, when the dealer service department scans your vehicle, ask what codes were stored and ask for a copy. Call FCA Customer Care and open a case. Don't let this be treated with disregard, a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL), comes on for a reason and yes it does store codes. Read my posts carefully, in my case when the internal cab temperature was above 85°, which can be duplicated with the heater on, by the way; the “SERV 4WD” MIL and “SERV 4WD, 4WD Unavailable” would display as soon as the engine was started, like clockwork. Take a picture and show them what you see on the dash cluster when it happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seriously, Get Involved!

My frustration has lead me to dig a little deeper into the details of my extended wait for a resolution, now at 38 days of shop time; my FCA case manager happened to tell me that the part we are waiting for is an ABS Module and still has no idea when it will be available.

So I called the service manager at the dealership for clarity, still insisting the part we are waiting for is a DTCM as per his FCA Tech Rep. I asked him for the part number - while on the phone with him I searched the number, about one minute flat it comes back: 68323438AA Module-Anti Lock Brake System. So I asked him to clarify the reasoning behind replacing, this-part? After a quick consultation with his FCA Tech Rep, this is what he came back with: My current issue is being caused by a software programing glitch; after replacing the RDM 68247020AB Module-AWD Driveline 18 days ago, the FCA repair procedure directs the Tech to program the RDM which also happens to include updates for the DTCM and ABS modules; during the programing, the software inadvertantly reprogramed the ABS module to an older version, resulting in a conflict with the RDM and DTCM programed functionality. According FCA engineers, the only way to correct this problem right now is to install a new preprogramed ABS Module with a compatible software version and not run the prescribed update.

What the crap man - this is super counter-corrective, irresponsible and ludicrous, WOW FCA, that's embarrassing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I also have an update. after weeks of my vehicle being in the shop the 4wheel drive module was replaced. after 15min of driving the service 4 wheel drive light reappeared. This is frustrating as ****..
I have a road trip coming up and cannot bring the jeep back in until September. I'm going to look into laws regarding selling faulty cars in Canada. I may just order a new Renegade if this keeps up and leave them with the pooched one when the new one comes in. Seriously.

Service 4 wheel drive should NOT come on at only 97KM!!!!!

:mad:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Okay so several days after my jeep went in I got a call saying they have been taking my jeep apart looking for the problem testing components via FCAs direction but haven't yet found the problem. A couple days after that call they told me they thought the problem lied in the 4 wheel drive transfer case. That was replaced last week, they went to test drive it, all was good, than the service 4 wheel drive came back on. they are now looking at replacing the 4 wheel drive control module again(this will be the third one in the vehicle) because they think somehow the 4 wheel drive transfer case broke it...?

They upgraded my rental to a 2016 wrangler 4 door unlimited. Its an okay jeep.. but probably too costly to run for my liking.. (heavy duty components for off roading... big thick frame...) I wanted the Renegade because it was a road vehicle with good off road capabilities that doesn't sacrifice too much fuel efficiency to do so. Driving a wrangler makes me feel like I'm driving a pure off road vehicle.. which isn't bad (It makes me want to drive over everything) its just not what I really wanted and it makes me miss my renegade even more.

The control module will take 5-7 days to get in than when that's not the problem who knows how long it will take for them to tear it all apart again to try to find the problem. :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
Okay so several days after my jeep went in I got a call saying they have been taking my jeep apart looking for the problem testing components via FCAs direction but haven't yet found the problem. A couple days after that call they told me they thought the problem lied in the 4 wheel drive transfer case. That was replaced last week, they went to test drive it, all was good, than the service 4 wheel drive came back on. they are now looking at replacing the 4 wheel drive control module again(this will be the third one in the vehicle) because they think somehow the 4 wheel drive transfer case broke it...?

They upgraded my rental to a 2016 wrangler 4 door unlimited. Its an okay jeep.. but probably too costly to run for my liking.. (heavy duty components for off roading... big thick frame...) I wanted the Renegade because it was a road vehicle with good off road capabilities that doesn't sacrifice too much fuel efficiency to do so. Driving a wrangler makes me feel like I'm driving a pure off road vehicle.. which isn't bad (It makes me want to drive over everything) its just not what I really wanted and it makes me miss my renegade even more.

The control module will take 5-7 days to get in than when that's not the problem who knows how long it will take for them to tear it all apart again to try to find the problem. :(
What year and model is your Renegade? Im just curious.

·
Registered
133 Posts
QuinnGTL has a 2016 Limited 4WD. Post 76 in this thread ;)
Thank you for letting them all know! xD

I custom ordered it because no Jeep Renegade Limited's in Canada were "fully loaded" like... whats the point in buying one without the advanced technology package? without that its just a latitude. :\ But like my tattoo says, "live life with no regerts."

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Thank you for letting them all know! xD

I custom ordered it because no Jeep Renegade Limited's in Canada were "fully loaded" like... whats the point in buying one without the advanced technology package? without that its just a latitude. :\ But like my tattoo says, "live life with no regrets."
I have no regrets about having a Renegade. When the motability lease expires in March 2019 for my current Renegade, I want another one. I have turned into a Renegadephile :laugh:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Okay so I have an update and I'm happy to say that it may be my final update.

The dealer replaced the control module again and called me on Tuesday to say they were ordering another part and it would take another 5-7... I was feeling crushed and like this would never end. Yesterday I got a call saying they received the part early and would have my jeep fixed up and back to me the same day. I thought to myself... he sounds confident this will fix it.

So I asked him what part he was replacing and he said that FCA advised them to also replace the rear 4 wheel drive module. (I guess the front is what they replaced)

I have only driven the Jeep to work (where I'm writing this from) but hopefully I wont have a Service 4 Wheel Drive problem again! :)

God it feels good to drive the Jeep Renegade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
SERV 4WD MIL, SERV 4WD, 4WD Unavailable

2015 Renegade Latitude (SERV 4WD MIL, SERV 4WD, 4WD Unavailable)
**BUYERS BEWARE**
So almost nine months later, I have finally finished my excruciating experience with my Renegade and FCA. After FCA instructed the dealership mechanic to replace my ABS Control Module again, but this time with a previous software version installed buy FCA Tech Line, I knew that this was a desperate attempt at a resolution. So I went threw the process, declined a menial settlement and they bought it back.
Now believe it or not I actually contemplated buying a 2017 Desert Hawk as a replacement. I went out and test-drove two of them, each at different dealerships. The first test drive went well and I really liked it. The second test drive - well, not so good, this time I asked if I could try the 4 wheel drive, we went out back on a gravel lot. I stopped and turned the 4WD selector knob to snow, the light momentarily lit in snow mode and immediately went out. Four more tries, upon the salesman's request -in Park, Neutral, stepped on the brake and in motion-it would not engage and displayed (SERV 4WD MIL, SERV 4WD, 4WD Unavailable). I offered a solution, I shut it off, started it back up and it went right into snow mode without any illuminated faults, he sighed and said it's probably just a break-in thing. THIS 2017 VEHICLE HAD 7 MILES ON IT. I drove back out front and explained my recent LL experience and told him I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this Renegade has the same exact problem. He apologized and said I give you a lot of credit for trying to come back to Jeep; I gave him his keys back.
Needless to say, I DID NOT BUY A REPLACEMENT JEEP. Please read my prior posts for more detail on this ridiculousness. Please understand: faults do not happen without reason, all displayed faults are recorded in history even if inactive, cycling the ignition is not fixing the problem just because the light doesn't come back on. From 2015 - 2017 this problem is obviously still not fixed, occurring on a test drive is no coincidence, it's a warning, shame on FCA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone actually gotten a resolution with this issue? My 2016 Trailhawk has just over 10,000 miles and I've seen it 5 times now. My local dealership says that it's expected behavior because the intercooler is too small? What the hell? So if that's a known issue, why aren't they just upgrading the intercooler? Or maybe it's just a line of BS that they are telling me to get out of their hair...

·
Registered
519 Posts
I live in Colorado and constantly dial in and out of the snow mode during the day. No problem yet. I hope I never see this issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Get involved...

"afieldhammer" - Call FCA Customer Care and Complain 1-800-334-9200; tell them what the dealership is telling you, tell them how many times you have taken your Renegade back for the same problem. Ask the service manager if they have contacted FCA Techline for assistance and ask them for copies of the email correspondences with the Technician if they tell you that they have. Find out for yourself if they are lying to you. Also, make them put everything they tell you in writing on the work order for your records.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Some Chinese Owners have also had this Serv 4WD problem, but so far they all can be solved after restart the vehicle. No further problems were discovered.

Looks like it's an international issue, since Renegade sold in China are made in China.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Some Chinese Owners have also had this Serv 4WD problem, but so far they all can be solved after restart the vehicle. No further problems were discovered.

Looks like it's an international issue, since Renegade sold in China are made in China.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not so fast...

Tony - Please understand: faults do not happen without a reason, cycling the ignition (or restarting) is not fixing the problem when the light doesn't come back on after restarting the car. It's only passing the module network test for that key cycle because the problem is intermittent for whatever reason. Know that all displayed faults are recorded in history even if inactive. In other words the problem is most likely still there just inactive for now. In some cases heat stirs up the hiden problem, try turning the heater on for about 15-20 minutes with the windows up and see if the "Service 4WD" comes back on. Taking a picture of the dash cluster when the light is lit will also help convince your dealership that there is actually a problem and not your imagination.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts