Jeep Renegade Forum banner

121 - 125 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
So as I turned my car on today and drove, the service 4wd light turned on and it stayed on the message dock. When I got to Oreilys, I took off the negative connection which was simple and then I connected it again. Should I have done both? When I turned the car back on, the message went away. I've never used the 4wd option. I've moved the knob but have always put it back to normal. The message isn't there anymore, I'm guessing that did the trick. I also bought a KN air filter to replace the stock one.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Should I have done both?
No. Just disconnect the negative lead. With one disconnected there is no path for current to flow from the battery to any components/computers. The negative lead is the one recommended to be disconnected if only removing one (or first, if disconnecting both). This is a safety measure. If you attempt to disconnect the positive lead from the battery first and accidentally short your wrench between the positive terminal and any exposed metal - you will get a large and powerful arc. By disconnecting the negative lead first (or only) the exposed metal of the vehicle will be at the same potential (same voltage) as the positive terminal. The only danger of the electrical arc at that point is if you actually short out the battery posts with your wrench.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
It cost him a spanner to undo a 10mm nut on the battery terminal as the issue was the onboard computer (for want of an easy word) getting reset just the same as your domestic PC when it plays up and you use Ctrl+Alt+Del. (y)(y)

121 - 125 of 125 Posts