Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed a Yakima rack, round bars with the front wind fairing to reduce noise and improve airflow. I will post pics tomorrow as we ran out of daylight. Did take it for a test drive and did not notice any noise. Pleased so far. The next step is to install my fishing rod rack on it. I have some rather large 1 piece surf rods that will not fit in the Renegade so up top they will go. I do need to open up the tubes a bit on the rod rack so I will sand the nylon inserts in the morning. One of my reels is wider than the others by about ¼" and won't fit.

Also had an oil change, oil filter, tire rotation done this morning (16,000 miles). They also flashed the ECM and PCM which took over an hour and a half. The tech said they large updates but didn't have any particular specifics. Shifting has always been good but it does seem a little smoother, maybe my imagination.

Also had to order a new clip that holds the hood rod in place when the hood is closed. The clip was always very, very tight and I figured it was just a matter of time before it broke. I was right.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
. . . They also flashed the ECM and PCM which took over an hour and a half. The tech said they large updates but didn't have any particular specifics. Shifting has always been good but it does seem a little smoother, maybe my imagination. . .
When I had mine in for state inspection, they told me there were two updates (probably the same ones you got).

What I noticed after the flash is the shift points have been altered. Previously, I could not shift into 9th until I got to or above 63 mph. Now I can shift into 9th at 50 mph (not that 9th is useful at 50). And I couldn't shift into 8th until I was over 50, but now I can shift into 8th at ~40.

The car still drives and shifts well. Driving in automatic mode is nearly the same as before, but it does short shift a little sooner under light throttle pressure.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
When I had mine in for state inspection, they told me there were two updates (probably the same ones you got).

What I noticed after the flash is the shift points have been altered. Previously, I could not shift into 9th until I got to or above 63 mph. Now I can shift into 9th at 50 mph (not that 9th is useful at 50). And I couldn't shift into 8th until I was over 50, but now I can shift into 8th at ~40.

The car still drives and shifts well. Driving in automatic mode is nearly the same as before, but it does short shift a little sooner under light throttle pressure.
I haven't had the opportunity to see if I can shift into 8th or 9th earlier. Normally 8th is around 63 and 9th is 73 or so. I will check it out this weekend to see if there is a difference. My mileage seems down a bit, not sure if it is the flashes or the new roof racks or my imagination :confused:. I am old, it doesn't take much to get confused. :) The Renegade is shifting better although it was not shifting bad at all.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There were 2 flashes made during my last service and I had a chance to take the Renegade out today and found that the shift points are still the same, gas mileage is basically the same and the shifting is improved although it was good before. There was one spot on a bridge near the house where the XM radio would lose it's signal all the time, never worked, it is now working. I also noticed a new message when I put the trans in park - "Before Key Off, Release Brake Pedal". Never saw that before. I wonder why that sequence? Anyone know the answer? All in all, the Renegade is running great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.