Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Sierra Blue Latitude 6speed manual Renegade three weeks ago. Of those three weeks, I have had it in my physical possession for the first week only. The service engine light keeps coming on. I've taken it in three times. The first they ("claimed") to do a software patch and returned it to me. Eight miles away from the dealership it came back on. Took it back the next day and was told it needed a new O2 sensor that they didn't have on hand. Car was there for a week while they got the part in and replaced it. Got it back yesterday, this morning the light comes back on. This time I was told "Chrysler is aware of the issue and is working on a fix but they won't have the fix until the end of this month or the middle of next month."

No brand new car for a month. I AM FREAKING OUT. I just don't even know what to do. I haven't even registered the car yet!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm trying to decide if I want to give up on the car completely and find something else...or stick it out and hope this is the end of my issues :-/

·
Registered
181 Posts
Would love to know if it's a different code each time.
Would love to have tested the O2 sensor to see if it was ok....or is this some kind of ecu/software issue throwing erratic codes that mean nothing.
Any of this would be easy to fix if parts are readily available.
Don't loose hope as this could go away with a simple part replacement.
This biggest issue is to get the techs to think and not simply replace parts randomly.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It could have been something as simple as a loose connection for the O2 sensor. It's unusual that a new O2 sensor would fail. There have been reports on here about various loose connections on some cars.

·
Registered
604 Posts
My first reaction is - why is your car sitting at the dealer for a Check Engine Light? CEL codes are mostly related to emissions and fuel control issues that do not render the car undrivable or unsafe. There should be no issue with driving around for a couple weeks with an illuminated CEL while waiting for parts to come in. Heck, some people drive around for YEARS like that ;)

My second reaction is that, now that they're available and inexpensive (often less than $20), everyone should own a bluetooth OBDII code reader, which plugs into the connector under your dash and allows you to view the codes using a free smartphone app. This will allow you to know for sure what codes are present, and seek out other opinions, rather than just relying on what the techs at the dealer tell you. This device also allows you to reset the CEL yourself, to see if it re-illuminates immediately or is intermittent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So unfortunately I don't know the codes :-/. They gave me a loaner and are making my car payment while it's there... Which I feel like they wouldn't do if it was drive able?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I purchased my Sierra Blue Latitude 6speed manual Renegade three weeks ago. Of those three weeks, I have had it in my physical possession for the first week only. The service engine light keeps coming on. I've taken it in three times. The first they ("claimed") to do a software patch and returned it to me. Eight miles away from the dealership it came back on. Took it back the next day and was told it needed a new O2 sensor that they didn't have on hand. Car was there for a week while they got the part in and replaced it. Got it back yesterday, this morning the light comes back on. This time I was told "Chrysler is aware of the issue and is working on a fix but they won't have the fix until the end of this month or the middle of next month."

No brand new car for a month. I AM FREAKING OUT. I just don't even know what to do. I haven't even registered the car yet!
I feel you rel422. I got my Jeep Renegade North Auto on Wednesday and drove it for about 30 minutes and I got a service transmission message and the. The check engine light came on. Took it back to the dealership the next morning. They too did some sort of quick fix and I got it back. Drove it for about the same amount of time and I got the same message and engine light. Took it back in Friday morning and they gave me a rental car and I have no timeframe for whe. I will get it back. If you do hear anything about your car keep me updated if you can!

·
Registered
18 Posts
One idea: check the battery level. Batteries could discharge while cars standing at the dealership. My Renegade check engine went on when I took out from the dealership. I was told my dealer that was due to low battery voltage that created some errors.
Here we have engineers working at the dealership and they told me to drive approx 60 miles to fully recharge the battery. Then stop the car for a night.
Renegades run a system test during certain periods even if the are offline and delete errors by themselves.
The day after all the errors were gone from the car and have not come back yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One idea: check the battery level. Batteries could discharge while cars standing at the dealership. My Renegade check engine went on when I took out from the dealership. I was told my dealer that was due to low battery voltage that created some errors.
Here we have engineers working at the dealership and they told me to drive approx 60 miles to fully recharge the battery. Then stop the car for a night.
Renegades run a system test during certain periods even if the are offline and delete errors by themselves.
Mine is definitely a bigger problem. I went in today and was told be one of the managers that they were told by engineering to replace a part. They are hoping that will fix the problem. Fingers crossed that this will help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine is definitely a bigger problem. I went in today and was told be one of the managers that they were told by engineering to replace a part. They are hoping that will fix the problem. Fingers crossed that this will help.
Any luck? They're saying another 3-4 weeks for a software fix on mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rel422,

I put this in another post, but I had all kinds of warning lights come on right after I bought it. I have a 6 speed sport. The dealer has had it since July 30th and last week they called me to say they couldn't fix it and Chrysler (dealer's term) was going to buy it back. I now have to wait 5 to 8 business days for Chrysler to call me back. Today is day 5. The lights on mine were the hill assist, ESC and ABS. The traction control light came on and wouldn't go off. Also, the parking brake wouldn't come off and there was a message to hold the button down to release the brake. After holding on to the button down for a while it did come off.

After they had it for about a week they said it was all set, but I got two minutes down the road and all the warnings came back. They then said they were waiting for a part. After they got the part (ABS Module) they said the parking brake would not come off at all. I really like the car and want to replace it. Not sure what to expect next when Chrysler calls. I'm really hoping they try to make it right for me. So far it's been a very discouraging experience. I like the idea above about the code reader. I'm definitely going to invest in one of those.

I'm not trying to focus on the negative here, as I like(d) the car very much but this is what went down.

Thanks for reading,

Jim

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well my car has been back at the dealership since August 14. They ran tests the Friday (14th) and the Monday. I was then told that they were going to replace the valve body and they had to wait for the part which means the car would be ready the following Friday/Monday. They were missing 2 seals on Friday, so had to wait until Monday. Seals didn't come in until 3pm on Monday, so they didn't start it until yesterday. They called three times yesterday to keep me up to date. First call was that install was almost done and then they were going to road test. 2nd call was that they were programming. 3rd call was that programming was having issues and they had to keep it another night. I went in today and got to spend a little bit of time in the shop, the most amount of time I've spent with my car, and they went through everything they've done so far. They had fixed programming and were waiting on software stuff to finish. I got a call at 4:30pm tonight and they said "it's not bad news", but we finished everything and now the car won't start. They called tech, but would have to wait until tomorrow. I opened a file with FCA yesterday. This was my first car purchase ever and I am so discouraged. I am just so sad about this as I absolutely love the Renegade. I am hoping for the best in this as I am going on day 13 of a rental car that is not my Renegade.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rel422,
I'm not trying to focus on the negative here, as I like(d) the car very much but this is what went down.

Thanks for reading,

Jim
THANK you so much for posting this here as I did not see your other post. The dealership told me today that they had gotten a "Chrysler customer advocate" involved this week. Makes me wonder if they know something they're not passing along. As of right now I have a loaner and their supposed fix date is 3-4 weeks away... I'm actually happy that at least I don't have to talk to them for that long.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well my car has been back at the dealership since August 14. They ran tests the Friday (14th) and the Monday. I was then told that they were going to replace the valve body and they had to wait for the part which means the car would be ready the following Friday/Monday. They were missing 2 seals on Friday, so had to wait until Monday. Seals didn't come in until 3pm on Monday, so they didn't start it until yesterday. They called three times yesterday to keep me up to date. First call was that install was almost done and then they were going to road test. 2nd call was that they were programming. 3rd call was that programming was having issues and they had to keep it another night. I went in today and got to spend a little bit of time in the shop, the most amount of time I've spent with my car, and they went through everything they've done so far. They had fixed programming and were waiting on software stuff to finish. I got a call at 4:30pm tonight and they said "it's not bad news", but we finished everything and now the car won't start. They called tech, but would have to wait until tomorrow. I opened a file with FCA yesterday. This was my first car purchase ever and I am so discouraged. I am just so sad about this as I absolutely love the Renegade. I am hoping for the best in this as I am going on day 13 of a rental car that is not my Renegade.
Sorry you're feeling so discouraged :-/. I had a 7 month old Mazda 3 that was rear ended and totaled... It had 4000 miles on it. That was my first car purchase and I had researched for 6 months. Then I impulsively bought the Renegade a few days after the wreck. I'm just so tired of dealing with it all. Hopefully Chrysker will make it right for all of us soon.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry you're feeling so discouraged :-/. I had a 7 month old Mazda 3 that was rear ended and totaled... It had 4000 miles on it. That was my first car purchase and I had researched for 6 months. Then I impulsively bought the Renegade a few days after the wreck. I'm just so tired of dealing with it all. Hopefully Chrysker will make it right for all of us soon.
I really hope so as well. I got a call from FCA yesterday, but that was just to get my case manager's information. She did seem to have more knowledge that I did about my car. I am really hoping FCA helps us out as well. I went and looked at the Renegade the moment they had one at a dealership close to me and I was just going to test drive, but bought it that day!

·
Registered
50 Posts
After calling the dealership and FCA, finally received a call back from the dealership and he said "it's going to be a lengthy process" with regard to coding and de-coding. The car won't start or recognize Park because of what they think is coding. The car started fine before they replaced the valve body. I just feel like this whole thing is a nightmare, problem after problem. I really wish that all software updates were automatically done before cars left the lot because that just seems like the logical thing to do.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I really wish that all software updates were automatically done before cars left the lot because that just seems like the logical thing to do.
Would make sense. Working in the industry that I do, I know it normally doesn't happen though. I work for a group that runs a 300+ node research cluster here at the university. Every once in a while one of our research groups will add to the cluster. We get shiny new IBM servers and first thing we need to do is upgrade the dern firmware to the same level as the ones we already have in our data center.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Would make sense. Working in the industry that I do, I know it normally doesn't happen though. I work for a group that runs a 300+ node research cluster here at the university. Every once in a while one of our research groups will add to the cluster. We get shiny new IBM servers and first thing we need to do is upgrade the dern firmware to the same level as the ones we already have in our data center.
A girl can dream. Maybe one day I will actually be able to drive the car that I am paying for without any problems. Buying your first car, and a new one at that, is supposed to be super exciting, but this has just been the worst experience.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.