Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No I was not really happy about the Service Engine light that went on at 989 miles on my '15 Latitude 1.4T, but it turned out to be a good thing. To be honest during the first 988 miles I was not happy with the engine in the Renny and in denial about it. The acceleration was not smooth, and kind of jerky/sluggish through the rev range, with some minor hesitation when the Turbo Spooled up. I figured I would let it break in a bit (fingers crossed). I was also disappointed with the power overall. It was bogging down in 6th gear at lower highway speeds. Now I've had a couple of Turbos; 2002 WRX, 2007 GTI. In the WRX power came on like a lightening bolt, once it spooled up, and the GTI had such an amazing powertrain if felt like you were driving a naturally aspirated fast car. So prior to that Service Engine light in the Renegade, I was a bit like... WTF have I done?? Now I didn't expect the Renegade to pull like an ABARTH, but as it has the same motor, which is not significantly de-tuned from what I've read. Long story long- I brought it in immediately when the Service Engine light came on. In at 8:00am, call from the amazing Brian Boyd at Manhattan Jeep/Fiat at 10:30. "You are all set, just needed to update the Engine Control Unit". It is now pulling strong and smooth, and kind of quick:D... which is all I was hoping for. Moral of the story, if you think its not running right, its probably not running right- Don't suffer with it- Just bring it in. That's what warranties are for!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good to know. I've no CEL, but I wonder if an ECU update would do me some good. Sometimes during mid-throttle applications, I feel intermittent, cyclical surges of power. I'm speculating that it may be its Multiair system switching between different modes, going from full-open to multi-open, or something like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.