Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I bought a second hand 2019 Renegade (1.6 disel lattitude) a few months back through a garage that gave it a service first. It's very possible that this service wasn't very thorough.

I start the car in a carpark on Saturday and a "Service engine" message appears and the engine management light stays on (and static). I have a OBD2 code reader and it's not picking up any error codes.

I realise the advice here is "well, get your engine serviced then, duh" but I live a good 50 miles from the garage so I'd like to know a little more before driving over there.

In past cars, a "Service engine" message would indicate that x-miles or x-days have passed since the last service, and it's due (indeed, if I look at the service page on the dash, it's 0 miles + 0 days but I'm not sure if that would happen with a fault too). But the engine management light staying on the whole time makes me cautious.

The car drives fine (I had to get it back home), it's certainly not limping. I'd be happy to book it in for a full service but I'm concerned about causing damage or breaking down on the way, especially as we're in a heatwave at the moment in the UK and the route to the garage will be near solid traffic.

Oil looks fine but coolant is possible a bit low (sanity check: is that normal with the engine off? I know it's pressurised..). I'd appreciate any advice or anything I can check.

·
Registered
2017 renegade trailhawk 9 spd auto glacier metallic, preferred package 27E
367 Posts
Hello folks,

I bought a second hand 2019 Renegade (1.6 disel lattitude) a few months back through a garage that gave it a service first. It's very possible that this service wasn't very thorough.

I start the car in a carpark on Saturday and a "Service engine" message appears and the engine management light stays on (and static). I have a OBD2 code reader and it's not picking up any error codes.

I realise the advice here is "well, get your engine serviced then, duh" but I live a good 50 miles from the garage so I'd like to know a little more before driving over there.

In past cars, a "Service engine" message would indicate that x-miles or x-days have passed since the last service, and it's due (indeed, if I look at the service page on the dash, it's 0 miles + 0 days but I'm not sure if that would happen with a fault too). But the engine management light staying on the whole time makes me cautious.

The car drives fine (I had to get it back home), it's certainly not limping. I'd be happy to book it in for a full service but I'm concerned about causing damage or breaking down on the way, especially as we're in a heatwave at the moment in the UK and the route to the garage will be near solid traffic.

Oil looks fine but coolant is possible a bit low (sanity check: is that normal with the engine off? I know it's pressurised..). I'd appreciate any advice or anything I can check.
usually a check engine light is link to an emission problem. i could be wrong, someone here will correct me if i am wrong

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm currently thinking that I'll wait for the heatwave to die off and then make the drive. The garage (obviously!) couldn't confirm it would be okay to drive, but he also didn't tell me not too.

I'll probably book it in for a full service!

I'm curious about the coolant though, it's about 1cm below minimum when the engine is cold. Does that expand when up to temperature? Or does it need a topup (/perhaps have a leak). Hmm!

·
Super Moderator
1,773 Posts
Is it an engine management light/message or a "you are due a service" message? What do the count-down-to-service miles read?

Coolant should be at or above min when cold.
Weeping can occur around the various expansion tank connectors/hoses. Check for signs of calcium.

For that small amount, top up with boiled/filtered water instead of risking putting the wrong type of coolant. Coolant spec can change depending on MY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!

Is it an engine management light/message or a "you are due a service" message? What do the count-down-to-service miles read?
When I start the engine, the dashboard screen briefly reads "Service engine" (with a chime) and then the engine management light lights and stays lit.

The countdown reads 0 but it would perhaps make sense for that value to zero when a fault requiring a service was found, I'm not sure.

For that small amount, top up with boiled/filtered water instead of risking putting the wrong type of coolant. Coolant spec can change depending on MY.
Perfect, thank you! I'll top that up and let the garage know.

·
Registered
2017 renegade trailhawk 9 spd auto glacier metallic, preferred package 27E
367 Posts
usually a check engine light is link to an emission problem. i could be wrong, someone here will correct me if i am wrong

Coolant should be at or above min when cold.
Weeping can occur around the various expansion tank connectors/hoses. Check for signs of calcium.

i have lost about one cup in three years. must evaporate somehow when hot. coolant been running about 206 degrees in this NJ heat and all is good

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!

I've booked it in with Jeep for a full service, during which they'll troubleshoot the engine light. Mechanic I spoke to confirmed topping up with tap water until they can see it was okay :)

I'm going to drive it lightly, when it's not so hot (the only appointment was a month away), so fingers crossed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts