Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned several Honda's and a few GM's in the past and always bought HELM's factory service manuals for the vehicles.
Helm's doesn't offer any manuals on Jeep/Chrysler products so I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this. Who offers factory service manuals for Jeep/Chrysler? I realize that since the Reney is new it could be some time before the books are published for it, but would also be interested in one for my '14 GC.
I will keep an eye out for a Haynes or Chilton for now, but have always found them a bit cheesy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Jeep service manuals?

I've owned several Honda's and a few GM's in the past and always bought HELM's factory service manuals for the vehicles.
Helm's doesn't offer any manuals on Jeep/Chrysler products so I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this. Who offers factory service manuals for Jeep/Chrysler? I realize that since the Reney is new it could be some time before the books are published for it, but would also be interested in one for my '14 GC.
I will keep an eye out for a Haynes or Chilton for now, but have always found them a bit cheesy.
Uhm, like this?

https://ta.snapon.com

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This would be great if they actually sold service manuals.
I didn't think they would have the Reney yet, but using the Grand Cherokee, there is still nothing.
In fact even going back several years, the only thing offered is owners manuals, NOT service manuals.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'd love to have a service manual. But I think that you have to pay for an on-line service for our cars to get the information.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd love to have a service manual. But I think that you have to pay for an on-line service for our cars to get the information.
I have service manuals for my 3 Honda's, a GM van, and a Ford van.
Computer service manuals are useless IMHO and have always owned printed ones. This seems to be a major issue with the Jeep brand, and one that really alarms me. I've never owned a vehicle that I couldn't buy a service manual for.:eek:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Neither of my Dodge's had available service manuals. I got a CD manual for my 2009 Challenger, but I have to go on-line (and pay) to get a service manual for the 2015 Challenger.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ya know, the price seems steep, but for a real service manual (not a Haynes*), it's about what they cost. I have a printed factory service manual for my motorcycle, it's over an inch thick and cost nearly that much a decade ago.

On the other hand, I do not have a service manual for my Suzuki GV--everything they have is online and heavily protected so only authorized dealers can access it. I've had to get what service info I need from a Suzuki forum with a couple of friendly techs. I'd kinda like to have a manual for the Jeep; I agree that CD is not the best, but if it's all they got,then...well, I do have an old laptop in the garage...

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
Ya know, the price seems steep, but for a real service manual (not a Haynes*), it's about what they cost. I have a printed factory service manual for my motorcycle, it's over an inch thick and cost nearly that much a decade ago.

On the other hand, I do not have a service manual for my Suzuki GV--everything they have is online and heavily protected so only authorized dealers can access it. I've had to get what service info I need from a Suzuki forum with a couple of friendly techs. I'd kinda like to have a manual for the Jeep; I agree that CD is not the best, but if it's all they got,then...well, I do have an old laptop in the garage...

$135 really isn't bad. My 97 eclipse manuals were only slightly cheaper than that. For my 2005 Subaru Legacy, they wanted over $1100. They didn't get it. AND they weren't very good.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
$135 really isn't bad. My 97 eclipse manuals were only slightly cheaper than that. For my 2005 Subaru Legacy, they wanted over $1100. They didn't get it. AND they weren't very good.
How can Subaru charge that much for a manual? Unless they price them that high so nobody buys them and they then have to take their Subaru back to the dealer. To pay that you obviously have more bank than brains.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ya know, the price seems steep, but for a real service manual (not a Haynes*), it's about what they cost
Agreed... I had a printed Chrysler service manual for my '98 XJ, and a CD version for my 03'Durango. Both were in the price range of $120 - $150 if memory servers.

Odd that they have the 2016 CD-manual but not the 2015. I wonder if they're actually that different. I eventually need to have something so that I don't have to worry about mods and addons coming with "installation instructions".

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have the CD service manual for my Challenger and it's not bad (I'd still prefer a book if it had been available). You can print out pages if you need to have the reference in the garage.

I will buy the 2016 Renegade CD service manual if someone confirms that it is similar enough to my 2015. I'm thinking that not much changed other than the audio system and the plastic panels in the rear hatch area.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I will buy the 2016 Renegade CD service manual if someone confirms that it is similar enough to my 2015. I'm thinking that not much changed other than the audio system and the plastic panels in the rear hatch area.
That's kinda where I am, atm. I need something so I can start to branch-away from the mods that come with detailed installation instructions, and just go to town on things myself. :/

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just ordered the CD for the 16, I have a 15, I'm betting there will be very few differences.
Shipping is high $12.28 UPS ground plus $10.31 sales tax. I almost backed out because of
the shipping cost.

I'll try to figure out the differences and post what I find.

Clifton

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.