Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 renegade is displaying service tire pressure system and shows the display with no pressures showing for all four wheels. I took it to the dealer today they tried to tell me I just needed to put air in the tires they said once they put air in that the pressures showed. They said that my problem was I wasn't driving the car to see the pressures come up that they always read blank unless you're driving. I argued with them that this was not the case and that the tire pressure system is showing this whether I'm driving or not and that if my tires are low it should be displaying that they're low not blank pressures. They took a second look and are now saying they think I need a sensor they said the right front tire pressure sensor is bad and is effecting the whole system. They want to replace it however I saw somewhere else on this form that someone had the same issue and only needed a stem which I'm assuming is much less than a sensor how can I tell if that is the issue before I spend $195 for a sensor?

·
Registered
700 Posts
A similar post was recently opened and that was resolved by understanding the difference that outside temperatures place on your tyres.

Summer time it's hot so the air pressure in the tyre is increased ie higher than normal.

Equally in Winter as the temperature drops so does your tyre pressure.

Driving the car with the low tyre pressure warning light should reset itself within around 15 minutes if driven on tarmac as the tyre heats up and subsequently heats up the air inside the trye thereby increasing its pressure to the normal reading.

Is it possible you have been driving with 4 low pressure tyres? I understand that 1 tyre may be affected as I have had that on a couple of occasions and a quick blast of air from a compressor fixes it. 4 low pressure tyres is ceratinly a conundrum to be solved.

I understand this may not be what you are seeking and if so then sorry for not being able to assist. :cry:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  1. 8
  2. A similar post was recently opened and that was resolved by understanding the difference that outside temperatures place on your tyres.

Summer time it's hot so the air pressure in the tyre is increased ie higher than normal.

Equally in Winter as the temperature drops so does your tyre pressure.

Driving the car with the low tyre pressure warning light should reset itself within around 15 minutes if driven on tarmac as the tyre heats up and subsequently heats up the air inside the trye thereby increasing its pressure to the normal reading.

Is it possible you have been driving with 4 low pressure tyres? I understand that 1 tyre may be affected as I have had that on a couple of occasions and a quick blast of air from a compressor fixes it. 4 low pressure tyres is ceratinly a conundrum to be solved.

I understand this may not be what you are seeking and if so then sorry for not being able to assist. :cry:
    Thank you for your response. Would having four low tires cause the message "service tire pressure system" to be displayed and in addition, a jeep is pictured showing 4 tires with no pressures reading at all? I was under the impression that if I have four low tires the diagram would simply show each tire having a specific pressure, ie, 25lbs.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
My 2016 renegade is displaying service tire pressure system and shows the display with no pressures showing for all four wheels. I took it to the dealer today they tried to tell me I just needed to put air in the tires they said once they put air in that the pressures showed. They said that my problem was I wasn't driving the car to see the pressures come up that they always read blank unless you're driving. I argued with them that this was not the case and that the tire pressure system is showing this whether I'm driving or not and that if my tires are low it should be displaying that they're low not blank pressures. They took a second look and are now saying they think I need a sensor they said the right front tire pressure sensor is bad and is effecting the whole system. They want to replace it however I saw somewhere else on this form that someone had the same issue and only needed a stem which I'm assuming is much less than a sensor how can I tell if that is the issue before I spend $195 for a sensor?
Hi Lynn 29,
I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing concerns with your Renegade! If you are not satisfied by your dealers diagnosis, we always recommend getting another opinion on your vehicle from a second dealer. If you have any additional questions during this process, please don't hesitate to reach out to us privately.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
481 Posts
My wife drives a 2005 Jeep Liberty (she loves it and refuses to sell it) and in the 15 years of ownership, her console displayed "Service TPMS System" maybe 2-3 times over the years. First time it happened I was concerned and called the dealer. I was told the TPMS system has failed, I needed to bring it in. On a whim, I plugged in my OBD tool and did a reset. It worked. All 5 sensors reading normally (spare tire also monitored). About 5 years later, it happened again. Reset, all good, takes less than 2 minutes. I could only imagine what it would've cost to "repair" the TPMS system.....

I know you're not driving a 2005 Liberty and the computer system has changed dramatically over the years, I don't even suggest plugging in an OBD tool (if you have one). What I would suggest is disconnecting your negative battery cable and let it sit for 15-30 minutes. This procedure appears to clear a lot of Renegade issues. It's worth a try and it's a whole lot cheaper than a trip to the dealer.

Then again, if it's under warranty and you want to lose the time, I would take it to the dealer by all means ! I tend to use every bit of a warranty that I have, you paid for it, you use it !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

1. My wife drives a 2005 Jeep Liberty (she loves it and refuses to sell it) and in the 15 years of ownership, her console displayed "Service TPMS System" maybe 2-3 times over the years. First time it happened I was concerned and called the dealer. I was told the TPMS system has failed, I needed to bring it in. On a whim, I plugged in my OBD tool and did a reset. It worked. All 5 sensors reading normally (spare tire also monitored). About 5 years later, it happened again. Reset, all good, takes less than 2 minutes. I could only imagine what it would've cost to "repair" the TPMS system.....

I know you're not driving a 2005 Liberty and the computer system has changed dramatically over the years, I don't even suggest plugging in an OBD tool (if you have one). What I would suggest is disconnecting your negative battery cable and let it sit for 15-30 minutes. This procedure appears to clear a lot of Renegade issues. It's worth a try and it's a whole lot cheaper than a trip to the dealer.

Then again, if it's under warranty and you want to lose the time, I would take it to the dealer by all means ! I tend to use every bit of a warranty that I have, you paid for it, you use it !
    Thanks for the tip! Will try battery cable disconnect tomorrow. I have a $100 deductible on my extended warranty so I'd rather not use it if possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Get a second opinion from the factory authorized dealer jeep. Not dealership you bought it from. These VEHICLES are awful lousy and Google theses renegade complaint

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just saying Google all the default I as well as many others are and have experienced. I love my jeep dont get me wrong!! I just dont love the 29,000 miles and all the problems that are coming along, new transmission, valve body ,oil burning consumption. If I had read reviews and know these issues I would have definitely passed in my 2016 jeep renegade latitude .FCA knew all these issues yet didnt advise us owners on all these issues

1 - 11 of 11 Posts