Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
15 Renegade would not start so it was jumped - was going to go get battery but service transmission warning, service engine warning came on and now I am stuck. Will not go into gear. Never had this issue before… Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
1,773 Posts
Don't jumpstart from other vehicles. Use a battery pack. There are many threads on this. System will need a reset.

·
Registered
484 Posts
That's fine, and I got a battery pack for my 2021 Trailhawk.

Yet it's a problem that the Owner's Manual describes the procedure for jumping from another vehicle... Almost makes you think that Jeep says it's OK... :oops:

·
Registered
328 Posts
That is because it can be done with no problems at all. But basically it is a crap shoot. As you have no control over voltage spikes. Definitely worth spending a hundred or less on a good jump starter

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well, yeah, it obviously can physically be done. Why wouldn't Jeep be aware of the issues, and at least recommend against vehicle-jumping?

The Owner's Manual says (equally) that it can be done using jumper cables from another vehicle, or a portable battery booster pack. Then spends the next full page describing how to jump using cables.

While it gives all sorts of warnings about towing to prevent damage.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Follow-up to Posts #4 and #6...

After a thread back in April about the danger of jump-starting from another vehicle, I got a battery booster pack to keep in the spare-tire area:

AmazonSmile: Imazing Portable Car Jump Starter - 2000A Peak 18000mAH (Up to 10L Gas or 8L Diesel Engine) 12V Auto Battery Booster Portable Power Pack with LCD Display Jumper Cables, QC 3.0 and LED Light: Automotive

It's been in there for 2-1/2 months, and today I checked the charge. I was really pleased to see it still showing 100%.

I realize there's no practical way of actually testing this thing.

So... Has anyone actually used a booster like this to start an engine with a dead battery -- Renegade or otherwise?

What capacity was the booster? What engine displacement? How did it work?

·
Super Moderator
1,773 Posts
I have. They work unless the battery is totally fubarred.

Petrols are easier to start than DERVs. DERV units over 2.0l need a beefy one.

I'll check the rating on mine later.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have. They work unless the battery is totally fubarred.

Petrols are easier to start than DERVs. DERV units over 2.0l need a beefy one.
I had to look "DERV" up. Diesel Engine Road Vehicle. We don't use that acronym here -- and from what I gather you guys in Europe won't be for long, either.

Though you do know FUBAR! 🍺

So yours is a diesel? Makes sense that they'd be harder to jump, since I think they're higher compression...

·
Registered
924 Posts
When I first joined this forum after buying my Renegade, I read of the horrors of jumping starting the "normal" way, so I purchased a NOCO jump start battery pack. Fortunately I've never had to use it yet on my Renegade. My Father in laws 2008 Wrangler Unlimited did have a dead battery so I used the pack to jump start his. Not a problem.

Actually, using a battery pack is the only way to go !! Couldn't be easier. No pulling two vehicles nose to nose, no untangling jumper cables, no making sure the clamps don't touch each other, etc.. Pop the hood, connect the battery pack, crank the key. Done.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Well, yeah, it obviously can physically be done. Why wouldn't Jeep be aware of the issues, and at least recommend against vehicle-jumping?

The Owner's Manual says (equally) that it can be done using jumper cables from another vehicle, or a portable battery booster pack. Then spends the next full page describing how to jump using cables.

While it gives all sorts of warnings about towing to prevent damage.
Easy reason why it's not mentioned. Plausible deniability.

Reactions: tlo

·
Registered
484 Posts
Actually, using a battery pack is the only way to go !! Couldn't be easier. No pulling two vehicles nose to nose, no untangling jumper cables, no making sure the clamps don't touch each other, etc.. Pop the hood, connect the battery pack, crank the key. Done.
Yeah. What's throwing me off is how small and light these battery packs are. Hard to believe they could crank an engine over. which is why I'm asking how they work -- no way to test them out...

Much lighter, and more compact, than a good set of jumper cables.

Just have to remember to keep the packs charged up. But like I posted earlier, they don't seem to lose charge quickly at all...

·
Registered
3 Posts
15 Renegade would not start so it was jumped - was going to go get battery but service transmission warning, service engine warning came on and now I am stuck. Will not go into gear. Never had this issue before… Any advice?
The trans module codes are gone. Need to have it towed to the dealership and pay around $80 to have them reloaded. If you run a scan on the jeep, you'll get a p1500 error code. There is no way around this. It sucks, but just get a new battery while your at it, throw it in there and should be good until the battery goes bad in 3-5 years. Also, buy a battery jump starter as well and don't jump from another car. These cars are foreign, fiat vehicles, not Jeep Wranglers. They are a different breed. It sucks, but just went through this last week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
disconnect battery wait a bit (10/15 min) reconnect and start car
needs to let vehicle relearn I believe
I did that with a fiat and transmission worked fine

·
Registered
3 Posts
disconnect battery wait a bit (10/15 min) reconnect and start car
needs to let vehicle relearn I believe
I did that with a fiat and transmission worked fine
Thanks for the post, but that didn't work for me. Very good option to try though before getting it towed to dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
did you try touch both cables.
I read that this reset the computer.
Just hope is nothing worst with the transmission

·
Registered
924 Posts
did you try touch both cables.
I read that this reset the computer.
Just hope is nothing worst with the transmission
Yeah....I wouldn't try that. Capacitors have the ability to stay charged (hold voltage) for quite a while. You may be self inducing a dead short on your electronics, never a good thing. Plus, I fail to see how shorting out two cables, even if the capacitors are fully drained, "resets" anything....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts