Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New battery, alternator charging at 14.8v, when I come to a stop all the lights dim, when on the gas every light flickers, even the LED readout on my radar detector. Auto zone tested battery, charging system, and starting system. Battery and charging system test good but the starting system fails. I'm not thinking starter yet, it's never failed to start the engine. Where does the voltage regulator reside? If there is a bad capacitor in the voltage regulator, wouldn't that be the cause. The system is unable to smooth out the a/c voltage with the speed of engine. Or maybe a diode.

·
Super Moderator
4,403 Posts

and enjoy the forum!

Dealer Time!

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
783 Posts
You can read a little bit about how it works here: https://cardiagn.com/jeep-renegade-2015-2018-charging-service-information/
I don't claim to understand it all, but it sounds as if the voltage regulation is partially controlled within the alternator, but also influenced by a signal from the computer (BCM).
The components may be ok, but a connection could be the problem.

·
Registered
2017 renegade trailhawk 9 spd auto glacier metallic, preferred package 27E
618 Posts
New battery, alternator charging at 14.8v, when I come to a stop all the lights dim, when on the gas every light flickers, even the LED readout on my radar detector. Auto zone tested battery, charging system, and starting system. Battery and charging system test good but the starting system fails. I'm not thinking starter yet, it's never failed to start the engine. Where does the voltage regulator reside? If there is a bad capacitor in the voltage regulator, wouldn't that be the cause. The system is unable to smooth out the a/c voltage with the speed of engine. Or maybe a diode.
starter cannot flicker lights, etc. i kind of would lean towards the alternator not holding a constant charge. is that 14.8 reading under a load or just an idle? regulator location.
ALTERNATOR LOCATION - JEEP RENEGADE - YouTube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnpIHeGpBNg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found on alldata aTSB that refers to flickering lights. It says the voltage regulator is causing flickering lights, and will appear typically around 110k miles. Mine is at 107k miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I read somewhere that the alternators don't last as long in the renegades. Should be good until 100k, but may start seeing issues at 70k. Sorry couldn't be more help, but if your at 70k plus may want to replace it anyway. It's not too hard on the renegade. Renegades have a tigershark engine and their are a lot of youtube videos that show how to do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts