Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy folks.
I did some research work on the topic and found that some fellow renegade owners looked into replacing their shifter knobs with (and without) the help of some of our Dodge Dart pals.
The Momo shifter is quite popular as well as the shifters available from our Italian cousins but they didnt appeal to me. I wanted something a little more classic and nostalgic.
I contacted "flossy" (a popular shift knob vendor) and to my disappointment, they did not offer a knob that would work for our "interesting" reverse lock out set up. I decided to be the Renegade guinea pig and went with another option the Dart guys tried out.

Twisted Shifterz came up a few times while digging around in the Dart forums. I looked them up and had a **** of a time trying to navigate their somewhat dated website. Luckily, they have an Ebay account and it saves a lot of time and all the complications of trying to figure out offsets and thread sizes go out the window. If you add Dodge Dart within your search, all of their currently available options will appear as a "set". They make an adapter that allows the lock to be pulled up in similar fashion to our current knobs but also allows for any sort of knob to be set on top. Amazing right?

My order came in via USPS and it arrived within 2 days of placing the order. Somewhat impressed by that. Anyhow, I decided to go with the "grabber blue" knob to try to match all the smurffin going on and the optional shift pattern in black.

Pre install photos attached

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
howdy folks.
I did some research work on the topic and found that some fellow renegade owners looked into replacing their shifter knobs with (and without) the help of some of our Dodge Dart pals.
The Momo shifter is quite popular as well as the shifters available from our Italian cousins but they didnt appeal to me. I wanted something a little more classic and nostalgic.
I contacted "flossy" (a popular shift knob vendor) and to my disappointment, they did not offer a knob that would work for our "interesting" reverse lock out set up. I decided to be the Renegade guinea pig and went with another option the Dart guys tried out.

Twisted Shifterz came up a few times while digging around in the Dart forums. I looked them up and had a **** of a time trying to navigate their somewhat dated website. Luckily, they have an Ebay account and it saves a lot of time and all the complications of trying to figure out offsets and thread sizes go out the window. If you add Dodge Dart within your search, all of their currently available options will appear as a "set". They make an adapter that allows the lock to be pulled up in similar fashion to our current knobs but also allows for any sort of knob to be set on top. Amazing right?

My order came in via USPS and it arrived within 2 days of placing the order. Somewhat impressed by that. Anyhow, I decided to go with the "grabber blue" knob to try to match all the smurffin going on and the optional shift pattern in black.

Pre install photos attached
Cool! post install pics! :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright,

I had some time today to fiddle around with the knob install. I followed the suggested install instructions and I'm alright with it for now. I'll try it out for a few days and see how it feels. The bottom adapter cup portion for the reverse lock out seems to be too short and it leaves a bit of a gap. This means that the knob itself sits higher than the factory knob. On top of that, the nut that is "recommended" adds to the height. In my case, if I slide out the armrest and lay my elbow on it, my arm bends at a 30° angle with my hand sitting on the knob. Pretty comfortable for me as I am accustomed to the "odd" placement of the Fiat 500 Abarths shifter. The weight difference is somewhat noticeable and the smooth surface of the knob feels right without that weird ring the stock one has.

So, let's see where it goes from here. It might be a few days before I can spend some time on it. Photos of install process attached. Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Did the main center screw break when you took it off?

It looks like it is cut off.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
This looks great. When I did a test drive, the large plasticky shifter was one thing I felt would need an immediate change, if (when) I buy a Renegade.

As a woodturner, I'm determined to make my own knob--but the hardware to allow use of the reverse lockout might be tricky. Seems these guys have that figured, I might end up dealing with them just for that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i wonder if there would be enough room to put a tall shifter like i had in my ranger with my peterbilt shifter knob, or would i smack the dashboard in 1st, 3rd and 5th?

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Take a piece of wood say half inch by half inch and as long as the shifter that had your Peterbilt knob and tape it to the gearstick then select 1st, 3rd and 5th to see if the wood hits the dash.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update: took the ring off and gave the knob a quick torque to line it up and it feels and looks a lot better. Took it in to the dealer to reset the service message and the tech gave me the thumbs up on the knob.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.