Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car drives fine and the transmission exhibits no problems like some people have had. I am aware of a transmission software update. Should I ask the dealer to do it or will they automatically do it next time the car is in for an oil change ? I am wary of having them do it because there are no problems and I have heard of people having problems after some software updates.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My car drives fine and the transmission exhibits no problems like some people have had. I am aware of a transmission software update. Should I ask the dealer to do it or will they automatically do it next time the car is in for an oil change ? I am wary of having them do it because there are no problems and I have heard of people having problems after some software updates.
I am of the philosophy of, "if it's not broken, don't fix it." But it depends on what's in the software update... if they are fixing something that could potentially do serious damage to me or the car, then yes, do the update. If it's minor tweaks here and there, then I personally would wait until next servicing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am of the philosophy of, "if it's not broken, don't fix it." But it depends on what's in the software update... if they are fixing something that could potentially do serious damage to me or the car, then yes, do the update. If it's minor tweaks here and there, then I personally would wait until next servicing.
I am more worried of them doing an update automatically. I don't know what the dealer philosophy is regarding updates. Are they required to do them automatically or only if a vehicle comes in with a problem that the update addresses ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got mine out of the shop for what I would call a demon possessed transmission (again), upshifts with foot on brake, sudden acceleration, hard shifts, slamming when going into reverse, rough backing up at startup, etc.. On top of flashing the latest updates everywhere they said they upgraded and re flashed the PCM (thought it was one in the same, but anyway that's what they said), it finally drives (shifts) like you would expect it to. PS I did this through customer relations and they gave me a five year warranty. My around town fuel economy is up a couple mpg, could be the colder weather though, not sure. They did all this before a few months ago and it has been terrible up to now. Mine had a whole list of trouble codes, basically everything on the CAN Bus was throwing codes

·
Registered
62 Posts
RoyalBlue,
I had the problems listed above, and a software update solved the problems about two months ago. My mileage went up about 2 mpg as well. However, if you don'y have any problems, you may a already have the updated software installed. I have a TrailHawk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, Scratch my previous post

Well, yesterday afternoon it's back to hard shifts, lurches into motion, bucks while backing up and the Service Engine Light is back on. So it was fixed for a few days at least. I wonder with mine if transmission fluid got into something electrical, I have seen this has happened with Mercedes and mine puked out six quarts and they left it soaking in the fluid for days before they did anything about it. According to all the codes it had last time, there are safety systems involved and enough service attempts have been performed to go down the Lemon law path. Time to call the case manager back, he did say if this happens again we will re visit just exchanging it. We'll see?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with this again, jenkij. Please keep us posted!
Well, Case Manager threw the extended warranty at me like it was some kind of fix all, maybe he meant I had a rental and didn't need to call him up front is all, but it got my attitude going. So I called Jeep again and voiced my concerns, they put some notes for the Case Manager in the file? Have it scheduled to go back into the shop tomorrow. This thing is scary at times, like a demon possesed. If I'm going to drive a car like that, it should be because it almost has too much horsepower.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, no update. I called the shop and they have nothing to say other than the tech wants to take the Jeep home for the weekend. I do too, after all, I'm paying for the thing. I so regret that I ever bought this thing.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Well, no update. I called the shop and they have nothing to say other than the tech wants to take the Jeep home for the weekend. I do too, after all, I'm paying for the thing. I so regret that I ever bought this thing.
he wants to take it home. does he not have a car himself?
Tell him to get lost.

Repair it at the dealership.

·
Registered
29 Posts
he wants to take it home. does he not have a car himself?
Tell him to get lost.

Repair it at the dealership.
He already is lost, maybe he needs to take it home to his wife so she can show him how to fix it? Look honey, if you keep fixing cars like you load the dishwasher you are going to lose your job.

On the serious side this does say that the dealership is not willing to invest any of it's own time in resolving this. There is plenty of real life driving conditions right there where the dealership is

·
Registered
5 Posts
My car got flashed with the newer software the other day and the 9spd shift quality is much better now. It almost feels like a normal transmission now. However, when put in Park the electronic parking brake engages too. Annoying but probably necessary with this tranny to avoid back and forth rocking experienced before.

Some of the relevant updates performed:

Drivetrain Contol Module DTCM-01030003002-B1-RELS7P30000-0003
Transmission Control Module TCM-68297864AB
Powertrain Control Module PCM-68241101AG

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My car got flashed with the newer software the other day and the 9spd shift quality is much better now. It almost feels like a normal transmission now. However, when put in Park the electronic parking brake engages too. Annoying but probably necessary with this tranny to avoid back and forth rocking experienced before.

I'm glad the updates have your Renegade performing more to your liking. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got mine out of the shop for what I would call a demon possessed transmission (again), upshifts with foot on brake, sudden acceleration, hard shifts, slamming when going into reverse, rough backing up at startup, etc.. On top of flashing the latest updates everywhere they said they upgraded and re flashed the PCM (thought it was one in the same, but anyway that's what they said), it finally drives (shifts) like you would expect it to. PS I did this through customer relations and they gave me a five year warranty. My around town fuel economy is up a couple mpg, could be the colder weather though, not sure. They did all this before a few months ago and it has been terrible up to now. Mine had a whole list of trouble codes, basically everything on the CAN Bus was throwing codes
Same problem I am having with my transmission. Fiat 500x Lounge. Wrong Upshifts & downshifts, hardshifts, clunking backwards and forwards.
Do you think this could only be a software problem? I'm not an engineer, but I have to think that software problems can be only part of the picture. How about "hardware"? Is the gearing correct. Can the transmission hardware "obey" the software commands??
What does this mean? Just because there are software commands for smooth shifting does not mean that the transmission parts can or must smoothly shift.

·
Registered
352 Posts

I just had some updates done. Same here with the parking brake. When you shift into Park, the electronic Parking Brake engages, probably a CYA result of the problems with the Cherokee. A minor annoyance. You just have to hit the brake switch before putting it in gear.
The car definitely shifts a little different now. It seems that the lower gears go to a higher RPM before shifting. I'll update after driving around a bit. Just had the updates done this morning.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.