Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Should I put a stop payment on my deposit check?

8K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Ronda 
#1 ·
I met with the dealer today. I gave him a deposit check and a list outlining the options I want on my 2016 TH factory order. He said he would place an order but didn't say when. We didn't agree on a price. In fact, we didn't discuss money at all. He did not give me a receipt for the deposit--just a photocopy of my check with his initials written on it.

Now I'm worried. I reached out to him by email and text today but haven't heard back yet. (Perhaps I should allow a few days for a response?). I'm worried that he will cash the check before placing the order or take forever to place the order before cashing the check. I suspect he plans to shop domestic inventory lists before placing my factory order--a process that could have no end in site. Should I put a stop payment on the check and start the process over?

Sincerely,
Wet Behind the Ears Shopper

#2 ·
yes, you should- or just go to the dealership and ask for it back. I ordered a Limited August 13th and they said they won't even cash my deposit check- that is how long it is going to take to come in. Expect a minimum of four months for a 2016. My dealer placed the order right in front of me- no reason yours can't too.

#3 ·
1. Did they give you a VIN as proof of the order placement?
2. Why would they not want to cash the deposit check if the order was placed and accepted? They fulfilled their side of the bargain.
3. What happens if you can't agree on the price when the car arrives? Do they get to keep the deposit then? I can see the dealer adding the value of the deposit to your offer price because they know you'll never get the depost back. or am I overly cynical?

#4 ·
It does not sound like you ordered a Renegade to be built, but instead gave him a deposit to do a search. You are now bound to buy from him, or lose the deposit, should he find a Renegade that fits your description (or comes close enough in his opinion), and you have given up a good deal of price negotiating power. Cancel the check - it should have been more like "if I find one, I will give you a call." You can do that kind of search on your own. Cancel the check.

#6 ·
Oh and btw, this dealer actually printed me out a copy of the order with my VON# on it. You should ask for the same. Also it took almost a month before it was trackable through FCA so don't get to worried if they can't give you any order status for a while.

#7 ·
I can't imagine a salesperson placing an order for a vehicle without first settling on the price with you. And it should have been very clear from the beginning that he was supposed to order a 2016 Trailhawk with the options you want, not try to find a 2015 model that fits the bill. Seems odd he didn't give you a receipt, but at least you have the copy of the check.

If you're in the U.S. it may be Tuesday before you hear back from the sales guy, being a holiday weekend.

#12 ·
I agree with Beerwolf that they should have given you a VON if he was placing an order for you.

If he's just going to do a search on what's already available in the 2015s then he shouldn't have needed a deposit quite yet and should have searched to find one while you were still there.

When I searched online and found one to go check out and possibly buy it was already sold by the time I got there. So they felt bad and offered to search inventories nearby while I was in the office. They found one with what I wanted and called that dealer to see if they could do a trade. THEN I agreed to put a deposit so they'd bring it down and hold it there. They gave me a receipt for the deposit.
And if for whatever reason I decided I didn't like it or something then the deposit would have been refunded.

I'm just not sure what he needed a deposit for if he didn't place an order or find one already for you.

#17 ·
Oh, and get this. He said he was doing me a favor by agreeing to place an order, which he never did because orders can't be placed on weekends or holidays (so he says). I wish I knew that Saturday morning when I was in his office. Don't do me any favors Mr. Dealer. Ewhh, gross. Reminds of the the sleazy cliche "For you, I'll knock of 10%." Or the best one: "Because I like you..."
I know, I know, only in the movies. Hmm, I'm not so sure about that.

#19 ·
Glad you got it cancelled. Try and find yourself a more reputable dealer when you are ready. But yes the price is final when they place the order. The dealer essentially pays for it the day it's ordered. This is just like if you bought something that is on backorder and the price jumps by the time it comes in. This can go both ways if price drops the dealer is still locked in at the higher price.

#20 · (Edited)
I actually went to my dealer, had them order, right in front of me exactly what I want. They could not give me a trade value on my car or a possible monthly payment. They didn't want any money down. They gave me my VON, they check regularly and send emails with updates. I also go through Jeepcares. I hope that once it gets here, I will get a good trade in value for my car and a good monthly payment on my new Trailhawk. I have kinda been worried. I would hate to have waited this long and they can't make me a fair deal! I even went in a month later to give them a down payment, cause I don't want anybody in my Trailhawk once it arrives. They said that was not necessary. The car was Mine. They told me, It would be checked over by the service center, a few miles put on it test driving it, (less than 10), to make sure everything works, then locked and stored til I get there. No one would bother my Trailhawk. What is you guys opinion on this?

#28 ·
Ronda
I gave my dealer a deposit and I having been paying something every week.I get two receipts one for the transaction and either a copy of the debit card debit and receipt that the dealer received it and a copy of a check it that is what I used. I keep a copy of every payment and my dealer has a folder with all my paperwork and each reciept is stapled to the front of the folder. I make every payment in person. I live an hour from the dealer, but is worth the trouble to me. I do this for several reasons. I will pay as much as I can up front and when the vehicle comes I will have a chunk of it paid off already and less to finance. I not sure of what the Chysler rate will be, but now it is zero percent. Another reason is I own a business and I understand that the moment I made the transaction there are costs for them from the beginning. The main reason is I don't want to owe a bunch of money in three to four months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.