Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a TH owner yet, but I've spoken to a local dealer who indicated there's a 4 month wait on orders at the moment. I was planning to visit the lot tomorrow to check out the Latitudes they have to get a feel for the size and perspective of what will be the TH I was planning on ordering. This would be my first new ride since 2004 when I bought a Toyota (which has been relatively worry free), so I'm a bit nervous about investing in a TH based on what I'm reading here and in the trouble forums.

Knowing what you know now, would you have waited until (at least) 2016 when (hopefully) most of the bugs should be worked out? Do you regret passing over another option in favor of your TH?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Some people had issues at first but it seems like most of those issues have been taken care of at this point. Try using the search bar to look for some of the threads on this. Mostly it was transmission issues I think. Also remember that usually people come online to complain more than they come online to praise things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with the previous as most people will come here to complain vs praise. I have had my TH for 4 months now with 5K miles. Yes, there have been a few glitches here and there but nothing I’ve had to take it in for (no major quality issues). The vehicle is awesome and is a great ride. I do not have one regret. Plus having one now you get all the comments on the rarity/newness of the vehicle. That won’t happen later once more are out there. I’m enjoying being a trailblazer/renegade out there on the road.

·
Registered
201 Posts
While mine is relatively still new off the lot... only 350 miles on it... i have zero regrets. So far it runs great and has exhibited zero signs of any issues ive read about. I hope this continues and i didn't just jinx myself. haha But as stated earlier, most people post problems. Those with no problems tend to not say much. It's good to hear about things going wrong. But it can also create the perception every TH built is a rolling time bomb. lol Odds are getting a TH now will be alright. But If you're more patient than me and can wait till 2016, im sure you'll be treated with some new features and probably most the bugs ironed out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Without ever stepping into a forum I was worried about buying the Reney. My decades of computer/camera experience have taught me never to purchase a first gen of anything. I would even avoid the first year of a 4th or 5th gen. My decades of experience working on my own cars....and not wanting to work on them in the future, had/has me concerned.
With that said, my wife and I both fell in love with the Reney when it was first introduced and have been patiently waiting for it to be available. I had several serious discussions with her on the potential issues and we both decided to "go for it". While things can certainly change quickly based on the reports here, we both are enjoying it a great deal and have had ZERO issues so far.
Would I have waited? Yes.
Am I sorry I didn't? No.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't regret it simply because I needed a car. I didn't have one! With that said I have ran into my first issue and there is a thread going about it and it seems like it is going to be a common bug. The power locks fail on the vehicle. I currently have to lock and unlock every door manually.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't regret it simply because I needed a car. I didn't have one! With that said I have ran into my first issue and there is a thread going about it and it seems like it is going to be a common bug. The power locks fail on the vehicle. I currently have to lock and unlock every door manually.
Have you tried disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for about a minute? Seems to fix some lock issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See? It's little stuff like that which shouldn't be happening. How can you guys have confidence in everything else about the vehicle when the locks don't even work properly? I've been reading horror stories about the TH breaking down in favorable areas, but I have a specific need for the 4WD system which, if I ever broke down, would be a serious pain in the butt to get towed out of. I'm not trying to be negative here, I'm just cautious about a $27-30K investment.

·
Registered
201 Posts
See? It's little stuff like that which shouldn't be happening. How can you guys have confidence in everything else about the vehicle when the locks don't even work properly? I've been reading horror stories about the TH breaking down in favorable areas, but I have a specific need for the 4WD system which, if I ever broke down, would be a serious pain in the butt to get towed out of. I'm not trying to be negative here, I'm just cautious about a $27-30K investment.
Then you should wait till the 2016 models and see if the random issues have been addressed and fixed. That would be the safest way.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I picked up my Trailhawk in April and have driven nearly 3,000 trouble-free miles. I'm glad I bought mine when I did. Not everyone has had problems. I can't answer why a few have had problems.

Reactions: Hypocrite

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm very happy with my decision. I wanted something before a trip I was making in October and before winter.

I will say since I have bought it I am more adventurous. Going to the Grand Canyon tomorrow and MOAB next month.

Reactions: Hypocrite and Rufus

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had to wait 3.5 months for mine and I wouldn't have wanted to wait any longer to place an order for a 2016. I do have a 1.4L Latitude so a lot of the issues that people were having didn't affect me. Almost 3,000 miles and no issues. I'm glad that I ordered mine when I did but am also glad that I didn't buy one off the lot that was missing features that I wanted.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was a bit concerned buying a totally new vehicle, but when a commando showed up at the local dealer I wanted it. It now has 9380 trouble free miles on it and we can't wait to see how it does in the Northern, IL winter. Our previous 2 vehicles were an Escape & Tucson so we'll see how the Renny compares.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I waited maybe 4-5 weeks total, 2 weeks after I KNEW it was mine, all mine. 1 month and 1400 miles later Im still grinning ear to ear. I absolutely love it. Im just itching to put my Yokohamas on and go offroad somewhere already! I have been slightly obsessed and washed it 3 times..if it doesnt rain Friday that will be the 4th time :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
just unplug the battery once and plug back in. fixed. Its not a major issue, a bug that will surly be fixed when you get a software update

I bought my car in May 2015 and one month later my locks quit working. They put in a new computer module and all was fine. Here it is 5 months later and it's happening again. Unfortunately I disconnected the battery to fix the problem. Had I left it alone, that would count as strike two out of three to be considered a lemon car.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Knowing what you know now, would you have waited until (at least) 2016 when (hopefully) most of the bugs should be worked out? Do you regret passing over another option in favor of your TH?
My original intent was to wait longer than I did, but my previous ride had other things to say about that. Objectively, I do wish I had waited longer for bugs to be worked out, but subjectively, I'm glad I purchased when I did.

I've had zero buyers remorse in terms of "maybe I should have gotten that other one." The car market is still in a state where there are very few things I find interesting that would not clash horribly with my lifestyle and make me a slave to my ride in a manner that stresses me out and causes problems.

I also was considering getting my renegade custom ordered. The only thing on my list I couldn't get without ordering that I'm still going back and forth on in my head is the trailer hitch, and that one is solvable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.