Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I have a jeep renegade 2016 longitude edition, on witch the side mirrors do not fold automatically. I would like to replace them with automatic folding mirrors but I don't know if there is any electrical component to be replaced apart of the mirrors.
Can you please tell me what must be replaced?

·
Super Moderator
4,522 Posts
welcomegroup

and enjoy the forum!

The only way that will happen if you go with a mirror that dose that and a complete rewire to none factory switches. Then hope you can get it to mount to the door and make it fit. Good luck!

Reactions: Pyro

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Yes it can be done is the simple answer.

As MrSig intimated, it will involve a lot of work, effort and cost.

Is it really so hard to open a window and adjust the mirror? Some vehicles even have manually adjustable mirror toggles on the inside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I can adjust the mirror from my door switches (this feature is available in my car). I just need the mirrors to be folded automatically when I close the car. It is not practical to fold them manually.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please enlighten the readers? :unsure:
I m not saying that it's hard to do it, but you don't always have the reflex to fold both mirrors everytime you park your car. Last time I found the right mirror broken because I folded just the one next to me (and forgot the other).

·
Registered
261 Posts
I m not saying that it's hard to do it, but you don't always have the reflex to fold both mirrors everytime you park your car. Last time I found the right mirror broken because I folded just the one next to me (and forgot the other).
The Reflex, flex, flex flex....... Flex.
Duran Duran....
Sorry I just find your post and subsequent reasoning absolutely ludicrous.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I speak 4 languages, that's why there is some "french" in my english (I bet you can only and barely speak english).
The auto folding feature has been created for a reason, so it's not "ludicrous" to ask for it. 2 more people like you and humanity will stop evolving.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Could it be done ? Certainly. Will it cost more than 1/4 the total value of your Jeep ? Probably. These Jeeps do not come with auto-folding mirrors (I believe), so factory parts can not just be "added in". You're looking at a custom job and probably not using ANY existing parts. Getting them to "auto-fold" is most likely impossible, because even the most high tech custom shop can not add lines of code to your existing computer system; necessary to fold mirrors when ignition is off.

If you truly desire auto-fold side mirrors, the best cost effective method would be to sell your Jeep and buy a vehicle that already has them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could it be done ? Certainly. Will it cost more than 1/4 the total value of your Jeep ? Probably. These Jeeps do not come with auto-folding mirrors (I believe), so factory parts can not just be "added in". You're looking at a custom job and probably not using ANY existing parts. Getting them to "auto-fold" is most likely impossible, because even the most high tech custom shop can not add lines of code to your existing computer system; necessary to fold mirrors when ignition is off.

If you truly desire auto-fold side mirrors, the best cost effective method would be to sell your Jeep and buy a vehicle that already has them.
Actually some editions do have this feature, and the parts already exist. I just needed to know exactly what parts need to be changed.
I think I will do it once I get back home (in 2 weeks).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Actually some editions do have this feature, and the parts already exist. I just needed to know exactly what parts need to be changed.
I think I will do it once I get back home (in 2 weeks).
You are correct, it is an option with some of these Renegades, I was unaware. But they do not auto-fold, they have to be manually activated by pressing a button on your drivers door.

My suggestion is to go to your dealer and see what they say. You may have to replace the entire mirror assembly on both doors and the necessary wiring harness may/may not be there. Then there is the cost of a new door panel and switch and seeing if they can be "activated". A lot of features in these vehicles are done at the factory, and at the factory ONLY. Your dealer should be able to help better than anyone here. I'd ask them if it's possible to do this; buying all the necessary big-money parts only to find out it can't be activated would be a costly mistake.

Sadly, the days of not paying for options while purchasing then simply adding them in later is not easily done anymore on modern vehicles.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
I speak 4 languages, that's why there is some "french" in my english (I bet you can only and barely speak english).
The auto folding feature has been created for a reason, so it's not "ludicrous" to ask for it. 2 more people like you and humanity will stop evolving.
I speak a little French and if I include it in my English chat it will get me a warning,but here goes, "Vous monsieur êtes stupide".

Your Jeep does not have that function and it would be stupid of you to make any effort to have it enabled.

Just the same as it would be stupid of me to make any attempt to enable it as I don't have that function.

You may not agree but that is the reality of it. Now will you please just exit your car and adjust your mirrors accordingly for the benefit of your own pocket?

·
Registered
527 Posts
From what I can find the mirrors are in the range of $130-225 for each one. If you don't have the harness to connect to, probably another $50-75 each for those. Then there's the switch that would need to be added... if you're not doing this yourself a good 8hrs of labor or more. It's easily going to be around $1000-1500 for a shop to do this, assuming you can find one who will. Figuring out which parts are needed is an absolute mess. You're best bet is to do what Mud Pie recommended and go to a local Jeep dealership and see if they can put together a list of needed parts.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I didn’t know that some Renegades have auto folding mirrors. Can someone post photos of their Jeep with the folding side mirrors? I’m curious to see what it look like.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If the OP wants to spend the time and cash to have folding mirrors, I say go for it, not my Jeep. Not for me to judge. I've read all the trials and tribulations of owners swapping out their radio and the costs and many issues involved in that. Not for me, the radio isn't that bad to go through all that. For me. For the owners it was totally worth it. Like-wise for folding mirrors. Not for me.

Your Jeep, your money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts