Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Renegade Altitude 4x4
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased this tent (link) back in April or May and it took a few weeks for it to arrive. I didn't put it on right away because I was awaiting my GOBI roof rack, which has a 12 to 16 week waiting time due to them not starting to build it until it's ordered.

Well, the rack arrived and I got that put on, so it was time to tackle the tent. Oddly enough, it did not come with instructions, but had a ton of hardware. I emailed them and the emailed the instructions to me, after telling me the instructions were included. Strike one. Don't tell me instructions are in there when they most obviously were not. In the end, I didn't use the instructions. I opened them up in the email, saw a lot of text, and decided I'd just wing it.

Assembly was fine...no issues I couldn't work out on my own. There were some extra holes drilled where the ladder gets mounted. My guess is the person drilling the holes never heard of "measure twice, cut once." If memory serves me correctly, there's 3 extra holes. Strike two.

Getting it on the vehicle was...interesting. It can be done with 2 people, as I did, but I'd highly recommend 4 people. Once it's up there, installation is a breeze, UNLESS you have a GOBI rack. The GOBI rack has a grate on it as opposed to just two crossbars. The grate means you have to use longer bolts (I went with 6") so it will drop through the grate and below the underside crossbars. Getting 8 bolts through the exact holes in the grate you want them through is tricky. My arms are worn out.

You may notice the tent hangs off-centered towards the passenger side about 1.5" more than the driver side. The grate on the roof rack was making things extremely difficult when it came to centering the tent on the vehicle, but I did the best I could. I don't believe it is (nor ever will be) an issue.

You may also notice the driver side is thinner. This is because you can add sheet, blankets, sleeping bags, pillows, etc, and there's enough play in the cover to accommodate those things. While the sheet will stay on the mattress, I'll put the other bedding towards the non-ladder end when I close up the tent and that will help balance things out once it's closed.

Here you can see the lip towards the front of the rack won't allow the tent to be moved any further towards the front of the vehicle.

And here you can see why I would like to move it more towards the front of the vehicle. I could open the tailgate a bit more if I removed the ladder, but I'm good with where it's at now...can still get in there without much issue.

If you park in a garage, as I do, you may want to consider the height of your garage opening prior to purchasing the tent if you plan on leaving the tent on your vehicle for extended periods of time. I cannot get into my garage with the tent on my vehicle, and no way am I going to put in on and take it off in between each camping trip. The tent will stay on my vehicle until the end of spring. Ideally, if you can get into your garage with the tent attached, you can then hook up the tent to a pulley system to lower it on and raise it off your vehicle. My garage itself has a very high ceiling, but the opening is the problem. I knew this going in, and am fine with it...others may not be.

Back to the tent...

In theory, setting it up is super easy. In actuality, it's dependent on the height of your vehicle. When I had a roof top tent on my lifted Jeep Wrangler Unlimited I had a hardshell roof top tent that opened straight up with the crank of a handle. The two fold-out roof top tents I had after that were mounted on trailers that were about chest height, which made things super easy.

My Jeep Renegade isn't exactly tall, but it's not short either, especially for someone with a bad right shoulder. Expect doing a lot of stuff over your head. There's 4 straps going across the top that need to be undone, strong velcro on three sides that needs to be separated, and then something like another 6 straps to be undone. But, the real chore is closing it up due to having to tuck in all the material. I used a two-step that worked great...sucks that I'll have to carry a two-step around with me on trips though. I was about to put on a 1.5" Teraflex lift with 28.5" tires...that's now on hold.

The ladder should be pulled out so it's at more of an angle, I just didn't bother with it when I set it up this time. I'll probably switch out the ladder for a telescoping one, as they're nicer. Speaking of which, for the price of this tent, I'm surprised it didn't come with a telescoping ladder; although, I won't count that as a strike.

I encountered an issue with the ladder-side mesh zipper. A tooth or two of the mesh zipper is jacked up towards the bottom and won't allow the zipper to be pulled beyond that point. Thankfully there's two zipper pulls on that mesh opening, so the easy solution is to close both zippers to that point. That being said, I'm quite disappointed as you'd think they'd of caught that at the factory. Strike three. Good thing we're not playing baseball.

Overall, my wife, kids and I are all quite happy with the roof top tent. While I had roof top tents prior to marriage (many years ago), after marriage I used a ground tent, switched to a hammock, then switched to a cot tent. I always camped and hiked alone, so I didn't feel as though a roof top tent was needed. Now that my wife and kids want to start camping with me, I decided a roof top tent was the way to go.

While this is a "four-person tent," I wouldn't try squeezing four adults into this thing unless everyone was quite friendly with one another. My wife being 5' tall, 95 pounds, and having an 8yo and 2yo means we'll have plenty of room in this tent. With an interior dimension of 72" x 95", it's larger than a California king sized bed. The mattress isn't the most comfortable, but it's nothing some 2" thick memory foam won't fix.

We'll eventually get a small trailer...sort of like a teardrop thing (less than 2k pounds) with a queen sized bed inside. The tent will go on top of the trailer, which would leave the GOBI rack free for other equipment. Of course, that may be a few years away, as we're not exactly well off and the rack and tent combo wasn't cheap.

I'll eventually make a video about this very same topic for my YouTube channel (link) for those who may be interested. My first planned use is going to be next Friday. I wanted to go camping yesterday, but I had a doctor appointment that couldn't be rescheduled, so I had to push my plans back a week.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,947 Posts
Nice job thanks for posting now get out and have fun with your little Jeep!

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
OMFG that is totally outstanding and such a worthy post. Many thanks for sharing your endeavours with us and I am sure that you and the family will greatly enjoy all your camping adventures.

Truly wonderful post in all aspects. (y)(y)(y):love::love::love:

·
Registered
2020 Renegade Latitude
1 Posts
Thank you. I just bought my 2020 latitude. My first move in the spring is a roof top tent. Hard to find info anywhere else. Enjoy!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2020 Trailhawk and I put a tent on it also. It worked well but I lifted my Renegade, added bigger tires and a trailer hitch. After that I built this trailer. Has a tent on top and the back opens into a kitchen. Here it is behind my Wrangler.
Yeah, back in my Wrangler days, I pulled a trailer with a RTT, which was a great way to save space.

Eventually the kids will grow up a bit more and we'll need something more than the RTT. My hope is to then pull a trailer with a queen sized bed inside so my wife and I can sleep there and the kids can use the RTT. We'll see how that shakes out...still have time before needing to make that particular move.

For now, we're just trying to stay as compact as possible...organization helps a lot in that regard.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I just bought my 2020 latitude. My first move in the spring is a roof top tent. Hard to find info anywhere else. Enjoy!
May want to research roof racks between now and then. Keep in mind your tent will likely weigh between 100 and 150 pounds so you can determine the dynamic (in motion) rating of whatever rack you get. Add to that weight the weight of you and whoever else will be in the tent and keep that in mind for the static (parked) load rating.

When I was looking at crossbars, I didn't come across any that made me feel comfortable mounting the tent on them. Some people don't care about that type of thing though and they'll just strap whatever to whatever. ;) To each their own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts