Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any cars on the road right now with very similar dimensions to the Renegade? I find myself having trouble picturing just how small/big it really is.

I've heard what other vehicles it is intended to compete with, but I'm not entirely sure if that means it will likely be the same size. The best I could find was from an article at business week which has the following picture near the bottom. Does this look accurate? Should I hop in a Kia Soul to get an idea of how I fit? (I'm 6'4".)

· Registered
953 Posts
I mean if the diagram there is accurate then it seems like you could use a Kia Soul to figure out how big the Renegade is. In fact the Kia Soul is bigger. The one thing that I would say is that you should check out the interior dimensions of both. Sometimes cars can be bigger on the outside, but have less room on the inside.

· Registered
157 Posts
This is interesting

I have a 2001 Cherokee Classic

Cherokee........................Renegade

WHEELBASE:...............WHEELBASE:
101.4 in............................101.2 in

LENGTH:........................LENGTH:
167.5 in............................166.6 in

WIDTH:...........................WIDTH:
69.4 in...............................71.0 in

HEIGHT:..........................HEIGHT:
66.8 in...............................66.5 in
Does this help

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
I mean if the diagram there is accurate then it seems like you could use a Kia Soul to figure out how big the Renegade is. In fact the Kia Soul is bigger. The one thing that I would say is that you should check out the interior dimensions of both. Sometimes cars can be bigger on the outside, but have less room on the inside.
How is the kia soul bigger?

Regardless, kia soul is the closest thing in current production on the road in size as well as internal dimensions for the seating area. Renegade will be a little longer outside, but loses a bit of rear passenger room and cargo. I'm assuming to accommodate the wheel wells, suspension with more articulation, and AWD/4WD hardware. But for passengers, the soul is within 1" for any given measurement, sometimes the renegade has more, sometimes the soul does.

If you want to get an idea of how it will fit in the world externally, such as parking, find a 2008+ MY scion xB and imagine it with 3 inches of lift. Or look at a 2014+ MY kia soul and imagine it 3 inches taller and 3 inches longer. ground clearance is about the same as the sport/lattitude.

The real question is at 6'4", do you accept that your knees will not fit underneath a steering wheel while using a car? If the answer is yes, it should fit you just fine provided FCA didn't do anything totally weird and stupid like jeep has done in the past. I'm between 6'6" and 6'7" with a 37.5" inseam and I've got gobs of headroom in my wife's 2011 kia soul.

· Registered
157 Posts
Can anyone tell me the step in height of the Renegade. Meaning how high you need to lift your foot to get it in the Jeep. Not the ground clearance. My Cherokee is 22".

I'd like both, Limited & Trailhawk step in height, I'm sure there is a difference on these two.

· Registered
30 Posts
I have been curious about the same thing (I'm 6'3"). Before I heard about the Renegade, I test drove all small SUVs that come with manual transmission (even Mazda 5). I decided that the size of the vehicle is not the only (or the most important) parameter.

I found Kia Soul and Fiat 500L more comfortable than Subaru Forester and Mazda CX5. I think when it comes to tall drivers, up-right seating position combined with an up-right windshield makes a HUGE difference even if the vehicle itself is smaller than others.

Similarly, Patriot and Compass are considered to be "siblings". However, I felt very comfortable in the Patriot while Compass was as cramped as it could get. In fact, I was about to buy a Patriot before I heard about the Renegade.

I think Renegade will be more comfortable than Cherokee for tall drivers.

Just my $0.02.

· Registered
23 Posts
Are there any cars on the road right now with very similar dimensions to the Renegade? I find myself having trouble picturing just how small/big it really is.

I've heard what other vehicles it is intended to compete with, but I'm not entirely sure if that means it will likely be the same size. The best I could find was from an article at business week which has the following picture near the bottom. Does this look accurate? Should I hop in a Kia Soul to get an idea of how I fit? (I'm 6'4".)
The current Scion xB is only off from the Renegade by an inch or two in length, height and width. We have an xB, and it's my mind's-eye tool! The xB is slightly longer and less tall, but also slightly narrower than the Renegade. xB width: 69.3" height: 63.4" length: 168.1" wheelbase: 102.4" - Renegade width: 71" height: 66.5 length: 166.6 wheelbase: 101.2.

· Registered
187 Posts

Hi,

Take a look at this preview video, you get an idea of how someone who is relatively tall can fit in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91btASLG93Q

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the good info, guys. When I see KIA Souls on the road they just seem so impossibly small. A friend at work has an xB so I'm going to see how I fit in that and hopefully gain some insight.

What I find really interesting is that other than interior width dimensions, like shoulder and hip, it seems like you could potentially have more head and leg room in a Renegade than, say, a Grand Cherokee. That just seems backwards to me.

I think the toughest thing for a tall person is typically having to reach really far for the steering wheel because you've had to move the seat back so much. I wish telescoping wheels would go out father than they typically do.

· Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for all the good info, guys. When I see KIA Souls on the road they just seem so impossibly small. A friend at work has an xB so I'm going to see how I fit in that and hopefully gain some insight.

What I find really interesting is that other than interior width dimensions, like shoulder and hip, it seems like you could potentially have more head and leg room in a Renegade than, say, a Grand Cherokee. That just seems backwards to me.

I think the toughest thing for a tall person is typically having to reach really far for the steering wheel because you've had to move the seat back so much. I wish telescoping wheels would go out father than they typically do.

I compared the interior dimensions too, and they seem comparable except that the Renegade sacrifices back seat leg room for rear storage space. The xB has TONS of front and rear legroom, in fact lots of interior passenger room, period. It's what sold us on the vehicle. So, if you have back seat passengers, don't rely on the xB as a guide there. But otherwise, I think it's close.

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts

I know what you mean. With the upright captains seat like seating in the soul, I don't have that problem. I've got a 38" sleeve though. Most cars I to have relaxed arms leave me with steering wheel contact at mid palm when it is supposed to be mid wrist.

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
I found this article discussing the differences between off-road capabilities of the Cherokee and Renegade. I thought this picture illustrated size difference pretty well. Go to http://www.caranddriver.com/features/dissected-2015-jeep-renegade-feature to see it.
Nice, they list the curb weights too, don't think I have seen that anywhere.

The 3025-pound base model undercuts its 500L platform-mate by about 175 pounds. The Trailhawk’s extra equipment, however, pushes the curb weight to 3490 pounds.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.