I have this issue. Both clips have snapped and unfortunately I was only able to find one of the broken pieces which I have just tried gorilla gluing back together. Currently waiting 24 hours for it to cure. Picture is attached. What is your solution Jeepatron?You could have your clips broken that connect the sunroof panel frame to the motorized guides. I had this issue on one side. You can verify that by removing the sunroof panel frame with a few screws.
You need to take out the front MySky roof panel. Then, there’s two screws you need to remove, one on each side, that hold down the wind buffer. Then, remove the 4 screws, 2 on each side, that hold the frame to the brackets. These are on the forward end of the frame.
Now manipulate the frame up and out of the way. It’ll still be hinged at the back, but you can work around that. From there, you got a view of the mechanism and can begin diagnosing the issue. If it is that piece that broke, I do have a solution, but I’ll only tell you if you verify that’s what’s wrong because I don’t wanna waste your time
Good luck sir
Thank heavens that’s what happened. Don’t worry about not finding the broken bracket piece, you’re not gonna need it. I tried many different things to fix it, glue was never one of the ones that worked. It always broke off. I finally found a solution though. I used JB Weld PlasticWeld to morph around the back of it. It holds up great and proud to say it works.I have this issue. Both clips have snapped and unfortunately I was only able to find one of the broken pieces which I have just tried gorilla gluing back together. Currently waiting 24 hours for it to cure. Picture is attached. What is your solution Jeepatron? View attachment 2396348683
I used JB Weld PlasticWeld to connect the broken bracket to the motorized post. It’s basically a putty that solidifies very well with plastics. It holds up great. I put a link to it above.I just did what you said and it was the clip that broke off like in the guys picture above. I have the piece because it fell out 2 days ago and I was wondering where it came from.
Jeepatron - what is your solution to fix for this and how do I do it exactly?
I just received the JB weld putty. Would you mind posting tutorial? Instructions say it’s best to sand/file area to be glued but not sure how I would be able to do that in this caseI’ll post a tutorial on this thread tomorrow. It’s not all that complicated, you just wanna make sure you get it done right. Hope you get that little sucker working!
Wow, that sure came faster than mine!I just received the JB weld putty. Would you mind posting tutorial? Instructions say it’s best to sand/file area to be glued but not sure how I would be able to do that in this case
That all makes sense to me. Can you post a picture of yours with the putty so I know about how it should look. Also how long will it need to cure before I can try operating it?Wow, that sure came faster than mine!
I’m currently not home right now, so I don’t have access to my tools to get pictures. I’m going to try my best to explain it without pictures, but I can still post some later if you want.
You’ll want to remove the sunroof frame to expose the mechanism as you have already done. You then want to move the motorized posts so they sit within the broken clip. You then want to scuff up the posts to let the putty get a good grip.
Now, you’re ready to apply the putty. Open the container and take off a small, but considerate chunk and knead it thoroughly. When applying, try not to get the putty on anything else but the broken clip and motorized post. Do not get putty on the tracks or guides. I found it’s easiest to use some playing cards as a “divider” or “mold” to keep the putty where you want it. You’ll want to apply the putty to the top of the clip and on the back side where the motorized post sits in. Do not go over the sides.
This is all too complicated to follow with just text, so if you’re willing to wait a little bit I can have a tutorial with pics to go along with.