Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Working on getting photos now. I think it only takes a few hours to cure fully too.
Thank you. I’m not sure what I did wrong but I applied putty this afternoon and tried to open it 3 hours later per the adhesives instructions and it just tore right off. Currently working on attempt #2 but a visual reference would really help

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
110 Posts
Thank you. I’m not sure what I did wrong but I applied putty this afternoon and tried to open it 3 hours later per the adhesives instructions and it just tore right off. Currently working on attempt #2 but a visual reference would really help
That’s upsetting. Mine never did that, it worked first try. Maybe try again. Here’s what I did:

I moved the motorized bracket into the slot in the broken clip and applied a hefty amount on the top of the bracket and on the back. I also made sure to scuff up the surfaces that would have putty applied pretty good.

You want to make sure not to go over the sides to make sure the putty doesn’t interfere with the mechanism.

To help insure this, I used playing cards as a border.

As for what went wrong with yours, I’m not sure. Maybe try kneading the putty for a little longer than you did, even if you know you did it for a while. I kneaded my chunk while watching television, so I was on it for a while. You could try letting it dry overnight as well. I applied mine before I went to bed and then checked on it when I rose. Maybe there’s something off with the instructions. The package comes with a lot of putty so there’s some room for trial and error, but I was able to get mine first try, so odds are that your next attempt will be successful.

Good luck on that next try, it’s gonna be the one!

·
Registered
7 Posts
That’s upsetting. Mine never did that, it worked first try. Maybe try again. Here’s what I did:

View attachment 2396348695
I moved the motorized bracket into the slot in the broken clip and applied a hefty amount on the top of the bracket and on the back. I also made sure to scuff up the surfaces that would have putty applied pretty good.

You want to make sure not to go over the sides to make sure the putty doesn’t interfere with the mechanism.
View attachment 2396348696
To help insure this, I used playing cards as a border.
View attachment 2396348697

As for what went wrong with yours, I’m not sure. Maybe try kneading the putty for a little longer than you did, even if you know you did it for a while. I kneaded my chunk while watching television, so I was on it for a while. You could try letting it dry overnight as well. I applied mine before I went to bed and then checked on it when I rose. Maybe there’s something off with the instructions. The package comes with a lot of putty so there’s some room for trial and error, but I was able to get mine first try, so odds are that your next attempt will be successful.

Good luck on that next try, it’s gonna be the one!
Thank you for the visuals. Just finished applying putty for attempt 2. Fingers crossed it will hold in the morning. Thank you again. You’ve been a great help.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thank you for the visuals. Just finished applying putty for attempt 2. Fingers crossed it will hold in the morning. Thank you again. You’ve been a great help.
Thanks at lot! I just had a lot of experience with MySky related issues so I try and toss out any help I can to prevent others from going into the trouble themselves.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you for the step by step guide of how to do it. I will wait for the pictures so I have a better idea of what to do.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thank you for the step by step guide of how to do it. I will wait for the pictures so I have a better idea of what to do.

Thanks again!
No probelm! I actually posted some pictures already in a few replies above this one that you could look at. They’re probably the best that I can do because I already have everything done and set with my sunroof, so I can’t take any pictures of the progress.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No luck. Even after letting the putty cure over night it still just ripped right off. Im also noticing this morning that the putty is still malleable enough for me to rip with my hands. Not really sure what I’m doing wrong or if I have the wrong JB plastic weld. Im about to try again and just leave it for a few days without trying to open it but if you have any other advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
No luck. Even after letting the putty cure over night it still just ripped right off. Im also noticing this morning that the putty is still malleable enough for me to rip with my hands. Not really sure what I’m doing wrong or if I have the wrong JB plastic weld. Im about to try again and just leave it for a few days without trying to open it but if you have any other advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Man that is upsetting. I don’t get why it isn’t working for you. It worked first try for me. I guess just keep going at it, one of these oughta hold it. Mine dried to almost a solid stone.

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Perhaps that should be another putty that should be tried. Thanks for the tip!

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts
Also mix up a batch that's larger than you need. With a larger amount it's easier to measure the right mix.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts